Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 03-27-2023, 12:11 PM   #1431
Onewiththeforce
Deadman

Hello All, I could use some advice and suggestions....

I currently have an opportunity to grab the EX SS Modern Age Thor in prime condition for 350.00. Is this a good price for this piece?

Also, I need to get a Thor and PREFER the modern version as opposed to the comic book version and do like this armor/costume. The breaker of brimstone version is too large to fit in my Detolf bottom shelf where as the footprint of the Modern Age Thor would fit.

I would prefer a bearded portrait. Does anyone know of anyone who could sculpt a beard/moustache on this portrait to blend in with his hair, etc..?

I realize that this particular Thor is not related to the above Thor in this thread but I could not find any thread for that SS EX Modern Age Thor (Switch out sword hand).

I currently own:

SS Recent Modern Capt. America PF (With Ultron base/head in hand)
SS Avengers Assemble Wasp 1/5th statue
SS Mark 43 Iron Man (Repainted red/gold version-light up) maquette
SS OG Black Widow with white pleather jump suit and large gun PF
SS Short haired mo-hawk Captain Marvel modern PF
SS Scarlet Witch (recent) PF with Ultron head
XM studios Hawkeye 1/4 scale

Thank you so much in Advance and for your feedback...
Onewiththeforce is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2023, 08:22 PM   #1432
gagaliya
I went to a general store. They wouldn't let me buy anything specifically.

This Thor was never very popular and mostly stayed in the low $400 range since release due to the silly swim pose sculpt. But if you happy with it and can get it for 350 why not, it will never go up much in price but you also don’t have a lot of future price risk vs $700-$1000 pieces.

Ignore price, brimstone is by far the best Thor and the dual wield ex also make it better vs replace hammer with a sword(facepalm)…although not a big fan I still think the latest pf is better than the swim Thor pf. Just my opinion. Going away from ss, xm version with hammer over head is also great although much more expensive.

If you can I would suggest get the brimstone and see if it will fit without the fire demon base horns, it will reduce the depth quite a bit. It’s imo the perfect Thor and the reg version can still be found in the $500 range some times.
gagaliya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2023, 08:47 PM   #1433
darren1228
Zot

I would recommend the Breaker of Brimstone modern Thor. The reason being that there is pleather on the Pablo V modern Thor and I have very bad experiences of pleather cracking and flaking.
darren1228 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2023, 09:07 AM   #1434
Onewiththeforce
Deadman

Modern Age Thor

Quote:
Originally Posted by gagaliya View Post
This Thor was never very popular and mostly stayed in the low $400 range since release due to the silly swim pose sculpt. But if you happy with it and can get it for 350 why not, it will never go up much in price but you also don?t have a lot of future price risk vs $700-$1000 pieces.

Ignore price, brimstone is by far the best Thor and the dual wield ex also make it better vs replace hammer with a sword(facepalm)?although not a big fan I still think the latest pf is better than the swim Thor pf. Just my opinion. Going away from ss, xm version with hammer over head is also great although much more expensive.

If you can I would suggest get the brimstone and see if it will fit without the fire demon base horns, it will reduce the depth quite a bit. It?s imo the perfect Thor and the reg version can still be found in the $500 range some times.
I do like many elements of this statue, for example, I do prefer the "modern" looking Thor to the comic book version of Thor to be honest. I do like the body armor much better than the blue pants and brighter colors. Also, since my Avengers line up is kinda mixed with both comic versions and more modern versions of the team, I see it as it might look cool that way as well. Also, I need him to fit in the bottom shelf of my Detolf and I believe the breaker of brimstone version will be too wide with Surtur's head/horns. I have yet to be able to locate that version for less than 700 to 750 and since this modern age Thor has a smaller footprint, it may be best. I don't see the hand/arm pose as a "swimmers" pose but I can totally see why one would say that. I think for me the only real thing I would prefer on this particular piece was that if he had a beard as opposed to just the skin. Maybe a bearded switch out. That's just my opinion. But yea, I also need to factor in cost as well. I've yet to see the statue in person, just on many videos and the one thing that the posters who post their videos all seem to have in common when reviewing this piece is that they all seem to feel and believe that it looks better in person than in pictures.

I think I may go for it and take the chance. If I don't LOVE it and find it hard to live with, then I will find a way to let it go and do some digging elsewhere, but if I can at least be impressed with it enough that it can be a 7-8 out of a 10 then I may just keep it.

And again, I have not done much by way of having custom work being done but as there are quite a bunch of talented individuals out there doing that type of work, I'm hoping that if I truly wish to have a bearded profile for this piece that maybe I can have it done at some point. Who knows, maybe the wrist on the left arm can be addressed as well.

Thank you both for sharing your feedback and input. I truly appreciate that.

Thank you.
Old 03-28-2023, 09:46 AM   #1435
Onewiththeforce
Deadman

pleather....

Quote:
Originally Posted by darren1228 View Post
I would recommend the Breaker of Brimstone modern Thor. The reason being that there is pleather on the Pablo V modern Thor and I have very bad experiences of pleather cracking and flaking.
I agree that the breaker is a much more dynamic piece and truly shows off a more rogue-savage Thor. Hands down!!!

Again, if the budget were there and the space was there, I probably would go in that direction.

As far as the mixed media goes, well it has been a slowly but "ok" love/hate relationship with the mixed media pieces......for example I don't mind the cloth cape at all on the recent Storm and Scarlet Witch and have always loved it on my Michael Keaton 1/4 Batman. My only thing is that I don't understand the logic at times....if there even is a logic with mixed media.......for example.......I just got the Rogue Maquette and like a week later got my Harley Hell on Wheels........correct me if I'm wrong but to some degree, the jackets on both statues are similar in size and yet why was Rogue's pleather.....and Harley's sculpted..? I mean....why? Clearly a beautiful sculpted jacket can be sculped as opposed to cut/sewn....? so again,.....why..? Rogue's jacket looks awesome as well.....but I just don't understand the logic.....

Then take Gambit's coat......it's sculpted.....and looks amazing....the movement, the texture, etc.....then why make fabric capes.....?? What and where is the logic behind it......???

I guess it makes as much sense to me as why not have light up sabers for Ahsoka Tano PF but have Moff Gideon's PF darksaber light up.....??!!?? What...??!!???

And again, by no means is this my bashing cloth/cut/sew......I just don't understand that 'logic' behind it at times.

Anyways, for this particular Thor piece, I am sure I will be ok with the mix media body costuming. I guess the sculpted cape is a nice trade off.

I do have the OG Black Widow White costumed cut/sew PF limited edition piece and have had her now for almost 6 years I think. To date, no issues with her costume....no tearing, pulling or flaking so hopefully all will be ok in the next 5 years.
Old 03-28-2023, 10:42 AM   #1436
FJC
Midnighter

I've had the modern Thor PF since its release many years ago. I think it's a underrated piece. Thor is looking to throw his hammer. The left hand is simply a guide. Look at almost any QB after he winds up to throw a ball. His off hand is out as a guide when he goes to release the ball. I'm pretty sure that's what the sculptor had in mind while sculpting the statue. Some collectors like it, some don't. It boils down to personal preference.

I like many aspects of the statue. For me, the portrait and costume are excellent. Even though his tunic is mixed media, I have has no issues whatsoever with it cracking, flaking, or peeling. If you like what you see, it's a great looking statue.

There's only 2 drawbacks I see with the piece. First, the EX switch out sword is useless IMO. I don't know anyone who would display Thor with a sword instead of Mjolnir. Second, the base. Originally, the base was engineered poorly. A few of these were shipped out and leaned heavily. One small touch or bump caused it to topple over. The base had to have an additional piece designed after the fact, to attach to it, and stabilize it. While that caused a delay in receiving the PF, the additional piece of the base did completely resolve the leaning issue. In all my years owning it, it hasn't moved or toppled over once. You can be certain the piece is sturdy and secure.

That all said, I do recommend the statue if you like it. What you see is what you get. There are no QC issues with it. Paint apps are nice and clean and the sculpt is also well done with no casting issues. It all really boils down to one question....do you like how it looks? If so, then I think you'll be happy with it if you decide to buy it.
FJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2023, 11:05 AM   #1437
SONICobra
Batman

make sure you get that additional rock piece for the base, i think it came in a separate box
SONICobra is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2023, 11:07 AM   #1438
Onewiththeforce
Deadman

gotcha...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SONICobra View Post
make sure you get that additional rock piece for the base, i think it came in a separate box
Yes, I believe it was in a separate piece of the Styrofoam packing.

Thank you for that.
Old 03-30-2023, 10:46 AM   #1439
Onewiththeforce
Deadman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgul Steve View Post
I opened mine on Christmas. He looks great with Hawkeye.

[IMG]blob:https://imgur.com/de46d9fa-a85a-4a0f-845f-65183b274645[/IMG]

I am so glad that you posted pics. of your Modern Age Thor with the XM Hawkeye as I have the XM Hawkeye as well and am looking forward to receiving my Modern Age Thor tomorrow. He will go on the bottom case right under Hawkeye in this set up. I got an impossible deal and had to grab it.

I will post updated pics of him in the case when I unbox it and place it there in that spot.
Old 03-30-2023, 10:48 AM   #1440
Onewiththeforce
Deadman

Here is where Thor will go.....bottom shelf under Hawkeye!

Modern Age Thor will go here in the spot next to Wanda.

He arrives tomorrow. I am truly happy for the deal that I received on this piece as well as I will have a Thor with my set up that will fit in this case.

Pictures to be posted when he arrives. He arrives tomorrow.

crossing fingers all is ok.