Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > Blizzard / Weta

Old 04-20-2021, 12:15 PM   #101
Drakul
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

I'm not a fan of the texture on Lara. I'm fine with my sideshow PF.
Drakul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 12:38 PM   #102
slinch
Frackin!

This is easily the ultimate Lara statue.

Well outside my price range, but I'm considering selling some of the other ones to replace with this one. I've got all the gaming heads TR pieces released thus far, plus the first weta one, but none come close to this. Neither does the SS stuff imo. Superb effort.
slinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 12:53 PM   #103
jonylin
Justice League

Quote:
Originally Posted by gra007 View Post
It is fair when you cost it out, but that doesn’t mean it’s not expensive, especially when I’m into Lara Croft, and not dinosaurs. $1000 for two raptors and $500 for Lara isn’t a good deal for me.

I bought Queen of the Jungle even though I’m not into Jaguars because it was a statue of Lara Croft featuring a Jaguar. This is a statue of two Raptors featuring Lara Croft.
Yeah I agree that the second raptor bumped up the price too much for people who just wanted a good Lara statue. I think that edit above with only one raptor would've been perfect actually if they kept it at $1000 max.
jonylin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 02:16 PM   #104
ddarko
A day without sunshine is like... night.

Quote:
It is fair when you cost it out, but that doesn’t mean it’s not expensive, especially when I’m into Lara Croft, and not dinosaurs. $1000 for two raptors and $500 for Lara isn’t a good deal for me.

I bought Queen of the Jungle even though I’m not into Jaguars because it was a statue of Lara Croft featuring a Jaguar. This is a statue of two Raptors featuring Lara Croft.
I feel like this is the problem with many studios today. They try to make unique pieces by trying to fit in things other than the featured main character. Usually, those are very expensive "props" that end up making the piece unnecessarily expensive.

I was initially considering this. BUT, I just realized that with COVID not looking like it will subside soon, the shipping might be high + with taxes and duties can easily drive the final cost to $2000+.
ddarko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 02:21 PM   #105
DeadGhostKnight
This is Dr. DGK, I'm listening...
SF ReviewerModerator

No interest in TR at all but goddamn what a f-cking home run!
DeadGhostKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 02:27 PM   #106
French Cancan
Deadman

I am still trying to determine whether or not I like the portrait...
A bit surprised, it's " only " 1350 € at my EU retailer with their loyalty card, including taxes and shipping.
French Cancan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 03:07 PM   #107
worstgamerever
Borrow money from a pessimist, they don't expect it back.

One Tomb Raider Statue to rule them all. Best TR statue released to date, on any scale, in any format. And for those saying its pricey because of additional elements, its a diorama--the design language is meant to tell a story that goes beyond the central character. The raptors hunted in pairs or small packs so this is fantastic and every element is so well done. I've never ordered a TR statue before even though I've been playing since the first game in the 1990s. I'm ordering this one and making it my centrepiece. Just wow!
worstgamerever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 03:09 PM   #108
nearmint
Phoenix

The engineering on this is interesting. I assume the raptors key into the base and Lara keys into one of the raptors. I like the portrait, and the realistic legs with cuts and dirt. The size of the piece should be impressive.

The price is aggressive, and I don’t know that I want to devote that much space to a Lara Croft piece, but it’s certainly a dynamic, exciting statue.
nearmint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 03:22 PM   #109
gra007
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by worstgamerever View Post
And for those saying its pricey because of additional elements, its a diorama--the design language is meant to tell a story that goes beyond the central character.
I understand this, but Queen Of The Jungle was also a diorama that told a story. it was much more affordable and reasonably sized without making Lara feel dwarfed to the other elements of the piece. As I said above, it's a statue of raptors that also features Lara.

This new one's base is as high as Lara's eyeline on the previous one, putting the tree stump alone at 16.5" tall. It's definitely designed to be a center piece, but I was hoping for the overall footprint and price to be a bit more reasonable.

I'm not saying anyone's wrong for liking it, or buying it, but it's just not for me and I really, REALLY wanted it to be.

If anyone just wants a statue of two raptors on a tree stump WITHOUT Lara Croft, hit me up, I'll buy her off you!
gra007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 03:28 PM   #110
nearmint
Phoenix

Quote:
As I said above, it's a statue of raptors that also features Lara.
I have to disagree. I think she’s the focal point of the piece and the star of the show.
nearmint is offline   Reply With Quote