Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > General Statue & Collectible

Old 12-03-2022, 04:57 PM   #481
Silas Loki
Jubilee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon View Post
Are you basing this on the statue market in 2021? I think valuations on the aftermarket from late 2020 through early 2022 were anomalous. It was the same for pretty much all aftermarkets during that time. Historically low interest rates combined with "free money" from the government will do that. I've been collecting since 2017 and I don't remember this being the trend. Low es, ultra sought after statues definitely appreciated, but most others either held their value or depreciated on the secondary market.

Now that things are returning to normal, I think the need to FOMO in early has largely dissipated. If you're patient and keep an eye on the BST groups, you're likely find a good deal. Hell, even SS has been giving crazy discounts for the past few months.

Of course there are certain statues (like this WW) that will retain their value due to various factors; character, popularity, quality of the piece, whether there are any comparable alternatives, etc. But many will not. JND's Arthur Fleck, HL Joker, Mera, and maybe Catwoman are pieces I think will sell at or under retail in the coming years. And I think their WW84, HQ, and Bruce and Bats duo will only appreciate in value.
I'm for sure generalizing - but I'm speaking about these ultra high end pieces, JND, Queen and those Queen and Infinity busts. I just don't see those selling for less than retail at any point in the future unless the seller is desperate.

If retailers like Sideshow start discounting pieces, that's also a way to get them cheaper - but let's be honest, how often do we see these types of statue discounted - and if they are, it's probably not a significant discount.

If these retailers DID start heavily discounting these types of statue - from a business stand point, that's suicide! I mean think about it - if you get wind that a retailer is discounting high end statues, who would purchase the statue at release? Everyone would just wait for the inevitable discount, and apart from pi$$ing off the manufacturer (because the retailer is devaluing their product) - the retailer would be creating a situation where they'd be constantly having to reduce their margins......
Silas Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2022, 05:05 PM   #482
Phoenixblazes
Hawkman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silas Loki View Post
I'm for sure generalizing - but I'm speaking about these ultra high end pieces, JND, Queen and those Queen and Infinity busts. I just don't see those selling for less than retail at any point in the future unless the seller is desperate.

If retailers like Sideshow start discounting pieces, that's also a way to get them cheaper - but let's be honest, how often do we see these types of statue discounted - and if they are, it's probably not a significant discount.

If these retailers DID start heavily discounting these types of statue - from a business stand point, that's suicide! I mean think about it - if you get wind that a retailer is discounting high end statues, who would purchase the statue at release? Everyone would just wait for the inevitable discount, and apart from pi$$ing off the manufacturer (because the retailer is devaluing their product) - the retailer would be creating a situation where they'd be constantly having to reduce their margins......
I wasn't following closely, but didn't Sideshow discount one or two of their Infinity busts quite significantly?

I was thinking at the time, if Sugo had done something equivalent I definitely would've been interested.
Phoenixblazes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2022, 06:04 PM   #483
nearmint
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenixblazes View Post
I wasn't following closely, but didn't Sideshow discount one or two of their Infinity busts quite significantly?

I was thinking at the time, if Sugo had done something equivalent I definitely would've been interested.
Batman and Superman were both 25% off.
nearmint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2022, 06:05 PM   #484
Silas Loki
Jubilee

Yes, you're right, they discounted the Infinity Superman - either a discount or part of the buy 1 get one 50% off deal. But bear in mind, the 50% off was for the cheaper item in the pair! So you'd only get a discount if you bought two of the busts - correct me if I'm wrong.

.....BUT!

Here's the thing, I've read on Facebook and other forums, people are wary of pre ordering through Sideshow, because of all these deals and discounts they've been doing - so, it's already biting them in the arse, and they're clearly creating a downward spiral for themselves - where they release a product, no one orders because there's probably going to be a discount, and because no one pre orders, they HAVE to run a discount to move stock.....rinse repeat.....pretty stupid way to do business - cutting the branch you're sitting on.
Old 12-03-2022, 06:26 PM   #485
Phoenixblazes
Hawkman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silas Loki View Post
Yes, you're right, they discounted the Infinity Superman - either a discount or part of the buy 1 get one 50% off deal. But bear in mind, the 50% off was for the cheaper item in the pair! So you'd only get a discount if you bought two of the busts - correct me if I'm wrong.

.....BUT!

Here's the thing, I've read on Facebook and other forums, people are wary of pre ordering through Sideshow, because of all these deals and discounts they've been doing - so, it's already biting them in the arse, and they're clearly creating a downward spiral for themselves - where they release a product, no one orders because there's probably going to be a discount, and because no one pre orders, they HAVE to run a discount to move stock.....rinse repeat.....pretty stupid way to do business - cutting the branch you're sitting on.
Even with the recent massive sales, the idea of not preordering with Sideshow has been the case for probably two years now. But collectors in general have always wanted their pieces as soon as possible. It's just that Sideshow is no longer the only game in town as other distributors reputations have grown, while Sideshow's has diminished.

For me personally, Sideshows sales were nearly totally worthless to me, as importing pieces, even heavily discounted ones, is barely any different from preordering day one from some local retailers. At least with some other US stores etc, it may be possible to escape from import duties, but that's not possible with Sideshow.
Phoenixblazes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2022, 09:07 AM   #486
redbloodedboy
A day without sunshine is like... night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenixblazes View Post
Down to one now.

It was at four for so many weeks, and now in about a week it's dropped one after another to their very last one.
Interesting! Looks like it will be sold out soon. I wonder how available it is still from other retailers?
redbloodedboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2023, 01:38 AM   #487
cocomonk22
Blue Falcon

Shield stand that will be included:

cocomonk22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2023, 02:05 AM   #488
cocomonk22
Blue Falcon

Pics from exhibition:

cocomonk22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2023, 02:19 AM   #489
Masa_yodamorph
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

I don?t understand why JND oversize the lips and mouths of their females. It?s frustrating because these would be almost perfect in likeness if they got the proportions right imo.
Masa_yodamorph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2023, 02:52 AM   #490
Silas Loki
Jubilee

These photos really show the piece off! Great work to the photographer.

I think the likeness is bang on the money - better than the life size busts (imo) - looking forward to adding this to the collection.