Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 11-07-2022, 09:20 PM   #21
Bullseye
Mod Assassin
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParisDean View Post
This wasn't like recasting Edward Norton or Terrence Howard. Chadwick Boseman made such an immense impression that anyone playing his character after he tragically died would have had way too big a shadow hanging over them.
Joaquin Phoenix Did a pretty good job. There is always someone better.
Bullseye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2022, 01:39 AM   #22
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

TDK is correct that I’m a 50+ years major Namor (NA-mor) fan. I’ve been okay with a lot of MCG (Marvel Comics Group) changes in the MCU so, while scratching my head at his depiction in the trailers, I’m looking forward to seeing this with an open mind and heart and seeing if the film and character grabs hold of me.

Last edited by wktf; 11-08-2022 at 05:28 PM.
wktf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2022, 01:46 AM   #23
ParisDean
Captain Marvel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullseye View Post
Joaquin Phoenix Did a pretty good job. There is always someone better.
Those were completely different universes. Who's to say that they even played the same character? It's a false equivalency and you know that.
ParisDean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2022, 02:15 PM   #24
The Dark Knight
Hellfire Club

I will see the film next week. :/ It turns out my friend's business schedule is busier than we expected. :/
The Dark Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2022, 06:40 PM   #25
AC_808
Hercules

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC_808 View Post
I'm very curious how they honor Boseman ...and how they move on from his character. I hear the movie is quite the tear-jerker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexLothos View Post
I'm curious to see this as well. They don't have to do much as the first trailer with Tems covering "No Woman No Cry" was super effective/emotional. But yeah, it'll be nice finally seeing how they handle it in the narrative.

Oh wow ...Marvel did good. They totally honored Chadwick Boseman in this movie. And the way they moved forward without Boseman was endearing ...and one I didn't see coming. I wish I could say more, but I don't want to spoil it for anyone.

This movie was a tear-jerker for sure. It is a great movie. My wife and I loved it.

Screw it ...I'm giving it a ... 9.5/10.
AC_808 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2022, 06:48 PM   #26
AlexLothos
What's another word for Thesaurus?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC_808 View Post
Oh wow ...Marvel did good. They totally honored Chadwick Boseman in this movie. And the way they moved forward without Boseman was endearing ...and one I didn't see coming. I wish I could say more, but I don't want to spoil it for anyone.

This movie was a tear-jerker for sure. It is a great movie. My wife and I loved it.

Screw it ...I'm giving it a ... 9.5/10.
My wife and I agree!
AlexLothos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2022, 08:02 PM   #27
mmk123
3 kinds of people: those who can count & those who can't.

I am anxious to see it
The first Black Panther movie was probably one of the best super hero movies made
mmk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2022, 06:06 AM   #28
Peedi
The Secret Six

Movie is mid.

Pros
- Talucan (Atlantis) is amazing, very well conceived
- Namor still looks a bit off to me but the actor did a good job and in action he’s really cool
- the action scenes are mostly cool
- the actual fighting within the action scenes, like the choreography hand to hand, is pretty exciting in a few spots
- cinematography and costuming are on point
- outside of the obvious funeral scene we all knew we were getting, there’s 2 particular spots to honor Chadwick Boseman and those two spots were very nice.

Cons
- it’s long
- it feels like they could’ve not did this movie and nothing would change. This movie added nothing to the MCU except Namor who could’ve been introduced in an infinite amount of ways. This movie really wasn’t necessary. Since Wakanda served its story purpose in the Infinity Saga they really could’ve gotten away with just not dealing with Wakanda again. But there was money to be made.
- of course it honors Chadwick Boseman and they did a good job of that like I said, but aside from a few cool action spots there’s a pretty depressing tone throughout. Lots of grieving. Straight up crying. A lot. Death is heavy in this one. For that reason I probably wouldn’t watch this in full again, let alone the amount of times I’ve seen “Black Panther”. I don’t like being sad. Saying that as someone whose lost close people, you learn to live with it, but you can’t dwell in it.

I don’t know what number to give it. Maybe a 6/10? Maybe a 7 on a day I’m feeling generous? Like I said not bad, but not great.

Anyway, back to the comics I go! T’Challa is one of my favorite characters so personally I prefer storytelling where he’s alive (although his comic actually sucks right now in a way that this movie definitely doesn’t).
Peedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2022, 11:39 AM   #29
Demona
Martian Manhunter

As it has been said before, if Disney so chooses they could bring in a totally different T’Challa from another universe. But I’m not sure if they would do that bc it could be a slap in the face to this world’s Wakanda.
Demona is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2022, 12:44 PM   #30
Mepaphoros
What happens if you get scared half to death twice?

It was very good, I enjoyed seeing Namor get his shine. Of course I'm rooting hard for a MCU founding Defenders lineup with Hulk, Namor, Strange, SS and Valkyrie but hard to see how they could pull that off at this point.
Mepaphoros is online now   Reply With Quote