Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 03-27-2023, 01:54 AM   #351
Tbolt
Inconceivable!
Adamantium Member

The P1 version does nothing for me. Looks like somebody said, hey, shouldn’t we stick a couple of penguins on here as an afterthought. The SS piece everything plays off the same scene.
Tbolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2023, 10:52 AM   #352
moyiori
Statue Forum MacDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divo View Post
For myself, there is no comparison, as once again Sideshow's work has a vibe/soul, villainous, as it should be. Prime's is a safe cartoon caricature of the character, swamped with tacky excess, to disguise it's lack of finesse, (though I like the Devito inspired portrait).

To simplify the different projected vibes offered by both sculpts, consider this.

-When I look at those bloodied menacing penguins in Sideshow's version, if confronted, my reaction would be to beat them to death with a big stick,.......... quick!

-In comparison, when I see those fluffy, plump, pristine, tacky, childish penguins on Prime's base? Not only do I feel insulted, but have the uncontrollable urge to eat those over priced birds,............ on a stick!

With Sideshow you get a true sense of a villain. With Prime you get a whole lot of fill-in. And that's basically it.
I wouldn't go that far about P1 penguin, i think its pretty good but looks more fancy gangster (the sorta reformed penguin), and you get an extra portrait if you want the Danny Devito version.

SS version looks more like the penguin that would go up against batman back in the animated series/comics. I do prefer the art direction in this one and glad that its 1/4th cause i wouldnt be buying it otherwise at 1/3rd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ink View Post
I would buy the P1 over Sideshow all day. Sometimes less is more. It?s a concept that Sideshow has forgotten
Ya SS is pretty much the less is more company, which people complain about all the time, and they did a little more than usual here and now there's complaints about that lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiDDo View Post
Although I prefer the P1 piece, this is absolutely true! Perfect example of overdesigned statues is XM (in most cases) imo.
Agree on XM mostly being overdesigned especially with the the majority of the X-men line, which has mostly turned me off to buying much of anything else with them now.
moyiori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2023, 12:12 AM   #353
FJC
Midnighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SONICobra View Post
and P1 is one of the first
IMO, XM is high up the list as well. Their bases and overly detailed costumes can be overwhelming.
FJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2023, 05:54 AM   #354
Destroyous
Justice League

Lately their XMen have been bad Nightcrawler, Jean. But a few before that were awesome, Colossus, Cyclops, Iceman. Beast.
Destroyous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2023, 06:25 AM   #355
darren1228
Zot

Was gonna disagree about Nightcrawler then I realized you were talking about the XM version. In that case I concur (esp regarding Jean Grey).
darren1228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2023, 08:45 AM   #356
NorthernLadMSP
Jedi Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destroyous View Post
Lately their XMen have been bad Nightcrawler, Jean. But a few before that were awesome, Colossus, Cyclops, Iceman. Beast.
Yep, super awful. Plus, they have no consistency in their design choice. The pieces you listed are perfect examples - some are fairly comic accurate, while some are so far out there they don't match at all. They're supposedly working on a Jubilee, but I'm not even that excited to see her given that she'll probably be in a space suit on top of an overdesigned base full of junk.
NorthernLadMSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2023, 01:53 PM   #357
1COLLECTOR
Sey hallo to my lille fren!

I have been out of the game for years waiting on Sideshow to make a comic based modern Iron Man PF to complete my collection, but DAMN this is a work of art if I ever saw one. I just had to get this!! Very well done Sideshow!!!! Now please make that Modern Iron Man Please please please.......
1COLLECTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2023, 02:55 PM   #358
Peedi
The Secret Six

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1COLLECTOR View Post
I have been out of the game for years waiting on Sideshow to make a comic based modern Iron Man PF to complete my collection, but DAMN this is a work of art if I ever saw one. I just had to get this!! Very well done Sideshow!!!! Now please make that Modern Iron Man Please please please.......
I?ve been wanting this for YEARS but they?re stuck on MCU Iron Man.
Peedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2023, 03:39 PM   #359
Divo
Cross country skiing is great if you live in a small country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darren1228 View Post
Finally!! So grotesque..so perfect!

Just got the call, making it official. I'm all in, for this wickedly magnificent Penguin.

Let's see what the final numbers say, in hopes of breathing/collecting for yet another day.
Divo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2023, 02:25 AM   #360
BB&WSF
A day without sunshine is like... night.

This is one of the most difficult decisions I will ever have to make. Love how he looks, but the "fabric overcoat lined with faux-fur trim and weathering details along the hem" is making me super hesitant to pull the trigger. Anyone who's not POed him yet because of this? : /
BB&WSF is offline   Reply With Quote