Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Home Grown > Painter's Pit Stop

Old 02-09-2016, 12:06 AM   #1
UnicornPegasus
I went to a general store. They wouldn't let me buy anything specifically.

Stripping Paint - The Simple Green Method?

Hello fine SF folks,

I'm about to embark on a custom paint job for my old damaged/defective statue, with the faux bronze paint, since I nabbed a good replacement for dirt cheap. My question is, will the Simple Green soak method strip that kind of paint? I've only stripped primer off of a resin kit before, so I want to consult the experts before I try something that could turn out horribly.

Thanks,
Nancy
UnicornPegasus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 10:05 AM   #2
Vince-Vell
Cosmic Painter
PainterModerator

Ive done a video series on using Acetone baths to get to bare resin. This only works on pre paint polystone statues. Never use this method on garage kit resin or pvc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIyg-j9U6Pc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xs0hismvtJs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9d2cBh7tG8

I've tried other ways, oven cleaner, simply green, degreasers and i can never get to bare resin as clean and fast as a acetone bath. Acetone i can clean a factory paint in 2mins or less. Just requires safety gear etc...
Vince-Vell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 12:23 AM   #3
UnicornPegasus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince-Vell View Post
Ive done a video series on using Acetone baths to get to bare resin. This only works on pre paint polystone statues. Never use this method on garage kit resin or pvc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIyg-j9U6Pc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xs0hismvtJs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9d2cBh7tG8

I've tried other ways, oven cleaner, simply green, degreasers and i can never get to bare resin as clean and fast as a acetone bath. Acetone i can clean a factory paint in 2mins or less. Just requires safety gear etc...
I have actually watched all three! Your Dazzler conversion vids are what gave me enough confidence to try my first conversion at all too, so many thanks!

I'm such a noob that the acetone does scare me though. I'm always fearful of melting the darned things, or finding they've just disintegrated entirely. I'm also not sure which are polystone versus resin. I would have assumed Bowens were resin, but now I have no idea at all. But I will consider it, since I am impatient and that quick strip time is appealing.

As an aside, do you have any for how to "prime" clear resin for painting with acrylics? Can I use an acrylic clear coat in gloss or matte for that? (I have a DC Jade bust I'm stripping as well.) I saw someone say use Testers Dullcoat before, but I have Krylon clear coats already, wondering if matte would work?
Old 02-10-2016, 09:31 AM   #4
Vince-Vell
Cosmic Painter
PainterModerator

Duplicolor makes a Clear Primer, i used it before on clear resin for the prototypeZ kits.

You can wash up the clear resin, get any oils off it, use the clear primer, then you can color it, and then if you want a super gloss shine use duplicolor clear cote to protect it and bring out the clearness in it.

ive striped tons of bowers in acetone never a issue, unless you leave it in there for 20min etc. but 2mins and its done and good.

when i say resin kits i mean something you get from the garge kit community, or a add on off ebay etc.
Old 02-10-2016, 10:39 PM   #5
UnicornPegasus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince-Vell View Post
Duplicolor makes a Clear Primer, i used it before on clear resin for the prototypeZ kits.

You can wash up the clear resin, get any oils off it, use the clear primer, then you can color it, and then if you want a super gloss shine use duplicolor clear cote to protect it and bring out the clearness in it.

ive striped tons of bowers in acetone never a issue, unless you leave it in there for 20min etc. but 2mins and its done and good.

when i say resin kits i mean something you get from the garge kit community, or a add on off ebay etc.
Oh, fantastic. I will see about picking up both the Duplicolor and acetone tomorrow. Thanks so much! (I also just watched your Phoenix sash videos and they were awesome. My Aves never seems as pliable as yours. You work with it so effortlessly. Amazing. That also sounded weirder than I meant it to...)
Old 03-18-2016, 07:30 PM   #6
UnicornPegasus

Ok, fears assuaged. I stripped my old damaged Retro Girl and a Women of DC Jade bust and nothing went horribly wrong. It did take a lot more acetone than I expected though. Retro girl burned through a bottle all by herself, that paint was thick and stubborn! I did not find the large canisters of it, I had to settle for a smaller bottle from Sally's Beauty Supply, but it worked like a charm. I have two Hellboy busts that I bought a new bottle for, and painting has begun on Retro Girl. Thank you Vince-Vell, your help is greatly appreciated!
Old 03-19-2016, 03:34 PM   #7
SONICobra
Batman

lowes carries large tin cans of acetone
SONICobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 08:20 PM   #8
UnicornPegasus

Quote:
Originally Posted by SONICobra View Post
lowes carries large tin cans of acetone
My local one didn't have any at the time. I'll have to check back and see if it can be ordered. Thanks!
Old 03-20-2016, 05:14 PM   #9
Vince-Vell
Cosmic Painter
PainterModerator

Glad it worked out, ya some older paint statues take more work, all depends on the factory i guess, The worst paints to ever strip that i come across is the Animated JLA moquettes from DC series. acetone just won't take that stuff off.
Old 03-20-2016, 09:38 PM   #10
UnicornPegasus

I forgot to take a pic of her with paint off, but here'd he end result of it all.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Retro-Girl-Comp-DA.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	129.5 KB
ID:	95387