Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comic Book Art/Commissions/Sketches

Old 08-26-2010, 12:41 PM   #1
GerryT
Statue Forum MacDaddy

Criticism of new art ?

So, is it bad form to criticise someones new art?
(im not wanting to criticise anyones art just wondered what everyone else thought)
GerryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 12:43 PM   #2
Bullseye
Mod Assassin
Super Moderator

Its kinda difficult but I guess if its done nicely. I've just seen some artwork I was not impressed. Maybe its best not to say anything.
Bullseye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 12:54 PM   #3
Mean Green
Fantomah

I agree, I probably would just not say anything. Considering it's a done-deal, unless they are asking opinions of WIP pieces, there's really not a whole lot that can be achieved by pointing out flaws.
Mean Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 12:56 PM   #4
statman
Baron Zemo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Green View Post
I agree, I probably would just not say anything. Considering it's a done-deal, unless they are asking opinions of WIP pieces, there's really not a whole lot that can be achieved by pointing out flaws.
This is pretty much how I feel about it too.
statman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 12:56 PM   #5
bat_collector
Galactus

Some artists are very quirky or stylized . If the person is a huge fan of that, and loves the piece, than I say, don't say a word. Either say congrats or nothing at all.

If someone is asking for opinions, then I would say share them. But, if the person is just saying, "look what I just got, I love it," I think its rude to criticize. This isn't a piece meant for the masses (like statues), this is someone's own piece of art.
bat_collector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 12:58 PM   #6
Bullseye
Mod Assassin
Super Moderator

Yep all good advice.
Old 08-26-2010, 01:06 PM   #7
oceans11
Madness takes its toll. Please have exact change

Being still "new" here to these forums, I've pondered this question myself. I've run across posting with art peices that I'm not wild about and just haven't commented. But what I often see is a string of responses all saying things along the lines of "nice peice of art" or "that's great" . I'd like a bit more "open" discussion with dissenting viewpoints, but I also see how that could upset or offend some people.

A recent commission was posted and I liked it well enough except for the eyes that bugged me. They seemed a little too "big" and anime for the rest of the drawing. I refrained from comment in the thread. The owner of the art was super pleased with his commission and what he received. Not sure it was my place to point out what "bugged" me about it. I'd also worry that if I did, then it would change how the owner of the art viewed it, and would that change his level of pleasure that he got from having it.

Art, like comedy, film, music, or a variety of other things is all subjective. What one person finds appealing isn't always the same as someone else. There are a few cases where everyone's on the same page with things, but more often there's differing views and opinions of things. Good discussion can be brought about by these differing tastes and perspectives. It can also result in terrible arguements and people being offended.

Good question and I'm very interested in what other people's thoughts are on this.
oceans11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 01:24 PM   #8
nbr3bagshotrow
curmudgeon Mod
Super Moderator

You can't post art work here and not expect some people to comment either positive or negative. And if some take it too personally, then perhaps they shouldn't post their work (either sculpture or artwork).
Old 08-26-2010, 01:28 PM   #9
Bullseye
Mod Assassin
Super Moderator

I don't think the OP is talking about artists posting their work. More the commissioner posting it once they have received their artwork from the artist.
Old 08-26-2010, 01:34 PM   #10
Fat Head
What happens if you get scared half to death twice?

I personally take the stance of not saying anything. I don't want to offend and ruin someone's love of a piece because I've said something "off" about it. Especially if they're just sharing and not asking advice on a WIP. In the end it's not my money that was spent, so my opinion on how good the piece is matters little.

That being said, I don't mind someone mentioning they're not a fan of something I got in one of my own threads.....as long as it's done respectfully. If you're just gonna say "it's crap" or "that's really awful" or something along those lines, then what's the point? I got some comments on my Micah Gunnell piece that I recently posted, by people who weren't fans. They did so in a respectful manner though, so it didn't bother me. It also helped me to learn a little more about their tastes, because they stated what it was they didn't like, they didn't just say, "I don't like it at all." But also, while I'm ok with that kind of thing, I don't assume everyone else is.
Fat Head is offline   Reply With Quote