Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comic Book Art/Commissions/Sketches

Old 09-09-2013, 04:38 PM   #1
BronzeAgePencil
Frackin!

Michael Golden - Problematic

I commissioned a piece from Michael Golden earlier this year and was scheduled to pick it up at a convention and it wasn't there/ready/even started.

I even asked his rep Renee Witterstaetter well in advance if it was going to be available at the convention and was replied with "We'll be there."

With the piece not available, I admittedly, and foolishly said I'd pay the rest of what was due when I was told "As soon as it's done, he'll mail it to you"

And when I gave her my address to mail the commissioned piece to that day, it took weeks to get a reply.

Unfortunately this has happened to me before, when I commissioned a piece from him in 2011 and attempted to pick it up at New York Comic Con and was told that I was supposed to pick it up at Wizard World Chicago (thus it wasn't with him in his portfolio) when I sent a confirmation e-mail asking if the piece would be at NYCC so I could dodge my fears of it not being there I was told it would in fact be in tow.

A naive mistake I made, on my behalf as I figured since it's a big show that he could've been behind.

So, along with reading the countless amounts of Gerry Turnbull threads...I was wondering if anyone has had this much difficulty with Golden?

Every time I e-mail his rep I get ignored for weeks at a time, or months. This last time I had to create an alternate persona through e-mail inquiring about commissions because she avoided responding to my e-mails about when I contacted her.

After what seems to have been a circular discussion after being intentionally ignored I told Renee to either have Michael do the work, or don't do the work, or eBay the piece if it at all is done but go ahead and keep my money because I knew I wouldn't get it back.

Sorry to be

But I'm just curious if this is to be expected when I am seeing Golden's work pop up all over CAF and am just at a loss for words for someone's work I admire so much.
BronzeAgePencil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 05:00 PM   #2
joefixit2
Baron Zemo

You might try reaching out to Shannon here on the board, he seems to have a good relationship with Michael and might be able to help or get some traction. I think a number of us have steered clear of Golden after the Turnbull situation.
joefixit2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 05:07 PM   #3
BronzeAgePencil
Frackin!

I can't blame you or anyone for that, as this has become a migraine for me especially with repeated hints at completion dates and turning up with nothing then more dates.
Old 09-09-2013, 05:11 PM   #4
GerryT
Statue Forum MacDaddy

sorry your having to experience this.
GerryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 05:42 PM   #5
BronzeAgePencil
Frackin!

Thanks, Gerry. After seeing what you went through and experiencing it first hand myself I am just at a loss for words and finances. I paid $350 for a full figure Doctor Strange casting a spell in hopes that I could attempt to add it to my collection and also have a piece to color and it just feels like I'm robbed of money that would be better spent elsewhere on a nicer artist.
Old 09-09-2013, 05:43 PM   #6
carlito1978
Hellfire Club

sorry to hear. after reading the patience is a virue story, i have also steered clear of mr. golden.
carlito1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 06:16 PM   #7
rjs1162
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

This is really sad to read(Gerry's story also), I had high hopes of one day snagging a piece from Golden. Now I have my doubts that will ever happen. Too much grief for me.
rjs1162 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 07:42 PM   #8
resnbike
Fantastic Four

I had no problem last weekend at Baltimore. I asked if he would add the joker on a jam in pittsburgh cuse i thought his list was full. he said he can draw it now after he finishes his sandwich. He took about 1 and 1/2 hour to finish. The size on the jam was 2.5x5.5 in he's and cost 150.
resnbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 09:08 PM   #9
BronzeAgePencil
Frackin!

Unfortunately his rep has repeatedly given me the run around every time I have mailed her, at one point she said I would get my piece but never said when, and that they aren't xerox copies but original pieces of art.

While I understand that, one should not insinuate expected times to receive said art repeatedly and then do everything in one's power to duck and dodge my e-mails.

I sent her an e-mail what seems like a month and a half to two months ago saying if Michael doesn't want to draw it, and specifically stated to let me know, but she hadn't bothered to try and get in contact with me since.

Having to inquire about this piece as someone else through e-mail just to get acknowledged or answered and THEN be told "Michael is working in order of commissions requested" which who only knows how long.

What I am looking for is a definitive answer and clearly in her/their eyes I am not getting one.
Old 09-09-2013, 11:26 PM   #10
Landroid
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

When I first started collecting back in 07, I was advised to avoid getting something from him. Especially if he was still with Renee.
Landroid is offline   Reply With Quote