Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comic Book Art/Commissions/Sketches

Old 10-23-2013, 10:48 AM   #1
Teague
Iron Man

How Many Original Comic Book Pages...

How many do you own?

I'm asking because I've recently hit a point where I no longer have the wall space to frame and hang my original pages, and now I'm wondering what the collecting-part of it really entails.

I guess what I'm asking too is; what's the point of collecting art that you can't display?
Teague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 10:56 AM   #2
nbr3bagshotrow
curmudgeon Mod
Super Moderator

None. I have about 10 11X17 commission pages and I can only display 4 at the moment. And even when I get my basement back, all my Giclee's will take up most of the wall space anyways so I'm avoiding more commissions. Storing the others in a portfolio but it's never where I can get to it easily to show off.
Old 10-23-2013, 10:58 AM   #3
mwf6171
internet forum tough guy

Location: Gore/Aussie Land!!! well Kansas City, MO actually..
I have 4 or 5 pages of original comic art. None of which are displayed. I keep everything in a portfolio.
mwf6171 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 11:30 AM   #4
Simplyrob
3 kinds of people: those who can count & those who can't.

hmmmmm. well, let me start off by saying that at one point i did have a DPS framed up on the wall. my OA portfolio started bustling so i moved the framed DPS back to the portfolio. kinda goes against any displaying mentality with the pages, but, felt like they should all be together. at the moment, ive got 19 published pages, 1 unused cover, 1 used cover, and 1 preliminary page sketch. en route i currently have 2 published pages and 1 preliminary cover sketch (i think from an early issue). in talks to get maybe 1 or 2 more pages, one featuring Conquest (which i dont have in my collection). its been a good year. looking back, my 2013 resolution was more OA, less commissions. a smashing success.
Simplyrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 04:37 PM   #5
kirthew
Zot

I have 7 pages of comic book art, but I am thinking I should really sell some of it. I was all high on the Game of Thrones comic, and I think I should sell that art, it is just sitting in a portfolio doing nothing. The only framed art I have is my Booster Gold Splash that Underdog let me know about.
kirthew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 04:48 PM   #6
risingstar
Jedi Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirthew View Post
I have 7 pages of comic book art, but I am thinking I should really sell some of it. I was all high on the Game of Thrones comic, and I think I should sell that art, it is just sitting in a portfolio doing nothing. The only framed art I have is my Booster Gold Splash that Underdog let me know about.

I agree with you, K. It's a side effect part about the hobby which seems unavoidable given the sheer number of product available, i.e, pages and pages of artwork sitting in collectors' portfolios in a closet. Nothing against you personally K, as I think this type of collecting profile represents the larger majority of comic art collectors.

For whatever reason, many comic collectors imposed their comic collector's (and sometimes completist) mentality on to artwork. Artwork, I think, is meant to be savored, displayed, and shared. Treating it like a comic you simply bag and board and store away in a box seems, well, just unfortunate. IMHO, of course. People are certainly free to hoard, bag and board, and so on.
risingstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 06:49 PM   #7
BillC
Hellboy

Somewhere around 60 pages
BillC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 06:55 PM   #8
Royd
Producer
Producer

I agree and think it's sad that I can't afford to frame and display more artwork from my collection (only around 10 pieces are framed). However, as a collector/fan, I still want to acquire the work and store the artwork in a plan cabinet, some of which is in folders.

As for how many pieces/pages are in the collection, I'm not sure - probably 100-200 pieces/pages?
Royd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 07:08 PM   #9
Meeley Man
Kindly Asked To Leave
Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teague View Post
How many do you own?

I'm asking because I've recently hit a point where I no longer have the wall space to frame and hang my original pages, and now I'm wondering what the collecting-part of it really entails.

I guess what I'm asking too is; what's the point of collecting art that you can't display?
Including my covers, I own 17 pieces. None of them framed, though. I have them all stored in an art portfolio.
Meeley Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 08:07 PM   #10
Mean Green
Fantomah

I have close to 25-30 pages of original art and none framed.

I actually flip through my portfolio quite often. Everyone collects/enjoys their art for a different reason and in different ways but I personally like looking at it even though it's not on the wall. I'd of course love to frame more but I think I'd only frame and hang my commissions... Not sure the reasoning tbh.
Mean Green is offline   Reply With Quote