Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comic Book Art/Commissions/Sketches

Old 10-23-2013, 08:31 PM   #1
DiscoCougar
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

WHat's the best way to track down a piece of art that the artist no longer has?

There's a specific prelim sketch I'm looking for that the artist doesn't have anymore (a Campbell prelim for the commission he did for me), but this question is good in general for art that I like but can't find for sale.

What's a good way to try and hunt stuff down? How would you go about finding the owner of a piece, let alone getting in contact with them to make a deal? For Campbell specifically he doesn't know who bought my commission prelim and is so busy that I can't get a hold of him in emails anyways (well, not J. Scott but his brother Cory who handles the art sales).

What should do? Where should I start?

Thanks
DiscoCougar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 08:40 PM   #2
Underdog07
Hercules

Post the image on CAF as wanted. Post on comic art-L as looking for it.
Underdog07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 08:46 PM   #3
DiscoCougar
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog07 View Post
Post the image on CAF as wanted. Post on comic art-L as looking for it.
What's comic art-l? And is there a specific section of CAF to post wanted stuff, or do I just put it in the general artist area?

Thanks!
Old 10-23-2013, 08:56 PM   #4
Underdog07
Hercules

It's a yahoo message board for art collectors

I would just post it to your CAF with wanted or in search of in the title. Maybe repost every week to keep it fresh
Old 10-23-2013, 09:13 PM   #5
Royd
Producer
Producer

As Bill said, it's a Yahoo message board focussed on comic art which has been going since around 1997 and has a current membership of around 3500 members - http://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/comicart-l/info

The membership includes all the major comic art dealers who often advertise/promote artwork for sale at the group along with many industry professionals who also collect artwork (eg. Tim Townsend etc.) and fans like us.

CAF grew out of Comicart-L initially for Comicart-L members and others to display their collections but it has grown far past that.

It's a great resource and well worth trying if you're looking for a specific page/piece!
Royd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 09:25 PM   #6
DiscoCougar

Thanks for the link Royd. I just tried signing up for the group, but everything was greyed out and the only message I'm getting is "This group is restricted." Is there some fancy way of signing up, or is the group just closed down to outsiders for the time being?
Old 10-23-2013, 11:03 PM   #7
Royd
Producer
Producer

Hmmmm, I'll have to check on current registration procedure but Yahoo groups recently changed the way they display/manage the groups so it may have caused issues. It used to be really easy

I'll check and get back to you later

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscoCougar View Post
Thanks for the link Royd. I just tried signing up for the group, but everything was greyed out and the only message I'm getting is "This group is restricted." Is there some fancy way of signing up, or is the group just closed down to outsiders for the time being?
Royd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 11:20 PM   #8
joefixit2
Baron Zemo

Hmmmm.....I'll have to go on there also. There is a vintage buscema splash page that I have never seen and I wod like to know if it even really exists outside of trying to buy it.
joefixit2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 09:52 AM   #9
Underdog07
Hercules

Just be prepared to be lectured as many users of Comic-art-L are experts in everything. Sometimes it's entertaining reading.