Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Digital Photography

Old 08-20-2010, 08:48 AM   #11
hot_fuzz
Frackin!

The D70 as a tendency to under expose which in my opinion is perfect for snow! Dont take any flat landscapes and especially not with grey skys or your pics will just look like all over grey/white shots. If you have good skys then take as many shots as you can I always think this is when snow shots look the best. Also isnt Moscow suffering from Smog at the moment from the wild fires? If there is smog you may get better shots at dawn when theres also less people about. Use matrix metering but in general try different settings on the same shot untill your happy with what you get. This can be hard with the D70 because of its small screen so if you can get use of a computer to review your images that would be great!
hot_fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 10:31 AM   #12
Collection King 13
You Should Punch Your Face in the Face!!!
Adamantium Plus Member

You can always take pictures of people with snow...

"Grailability" -One collectibles potential on becoming a Grail Piece. Pronunciation [greyl-uh-bil-i-tee]
"Flipphobia" -One collectors morbid fear of flippers. Pronunciation [flip-foh-bee-uh]
"Flipollector" -One Who Flips with the intent of purchasing something else for their collection. Pronunciation [flip-uh-lek-ter]
http://statueforum.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=75&dateline=1236098318
Collection King 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 11:09 AM   #13
Bullseye
Mod Assassin
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hot_fuzz View Post
The D70 as a tendency to under expose which in my opinion is perfect for snow! Dont take any flat landscapes and especially not with grey skys or your pics will just look like all over grey/white shots. If you have good skys then take as many shots as you can I always think this is when snow shots look the best. Also isnt Moscow suffering from Smog at the moment from the wild fires? If there is smog you may get better shots at dawn when theres also less people about. Use matrix metering but in general try different settings on the same shot untill your happy with what you get. This can be hard with the D70 because of its small screen so if you can get use of a computer to review your images that would be great!
Cheers for the info. Yeah its smog there at the moment but there has been a drop in temp from 36 to 16 in the last few days. The fires have also come under control so by December it should be clear air but snow for sure.
Bullseye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 11:09 AM   #14
Bullseye
Mod Assassin
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Collection King 13 View Post
You can always take pictures of people with snow...
By all accounts there is plenty of that snow
Old 08-20-2010, 11:32 AM   #15
VinReaper
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

Location: Out of my mind! Be back in 5 minutes! (+12517 to the Post Count)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Collection King 13 View Post
Naked Snow Angels???
Face down!

VR
VinReaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 12:24 PM   #16
DarkKni9hT
100,000 sperm and you were the fastest?

Also, if taking portraits in snow on a bright day, take your exposure for the snowy areas (brightest) and use a flash on the subject. If you expose the subject properly, the snow will wash out in overexposure. The use of a flash will compensate for the difference in the subject's contrast to the snow. Also, a polarizing filter will be helpful in reducing glare from bright snow.
DarkKni9hT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 12:26 PM   #17
Bullseye
Mod Assassin
Super Moderator

That's great info DK. Thanks.

Last edited by Bullseye; 08-20-2010 at 12:32 PM.
Old 09-03-2010, 03:16 PM   #18
Upitnik
Artificial Intelligence usually beats real stupidity.

I’m writing this in haste so excuse the low level of info…winter mornings can be great for mood shots especially with fog or if it's a clear day you can get very crisp and completely haze free photos. A macro lens is a good thing to have as well. Ice on branches, rivers and such... Midday is good for high contrast B&W and evenings are great for adding some color. Of course you can shoot pretty much anything during the entire day. Nowadays the technology is so advanced you really can exploit almost every kind of weather condition. Do some research and you will find plenty of examples and my most important advice is to protect your gear. Condensation is murder, read about it.

Cheers.

P.S. Extra batteries!!!
Upitnik is offline   Reply With Quote