Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > General Statue & Collectible

Old 07-20-2015, 10:54 PM   #21
jakesnake771
Frackin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbr3bagshotrow View Post
Yes.
Do explain...foolishly I did buy one before you had first suggested that. What have I gotten myself into?
jakesnake771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 11:37 PM   #22
built2shred
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoo View Post
You forgot about PCS.

Also, why do so many people spell Yamoto? It's Yamato.
I've never bought a PCS statue so I really don't have an informed opinion on their stuff...

As for Yamoto/Yamato, All I can say is Tomato/Tamoto
built2shred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 11:39 PM   #23
built2shred
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakesnake771 View Post
Do explain...foolishly I did buy one before you had first suggested that. What have I gotten myself into?
Odds are you will be fine, but what can happen is if you pre-order when it's several months out, it will go beyond the dispute date where you can get Ebay to help you recover your money if the deal goes bad then your on your own...

So with Ebay it's best to only buy if the seller has it in hand/stock....
Old 07-20-2015, 11:43 PM   #24
built2shred
Phoenix

My only other piece of advice is based on what others already have said and that's to think about what you want out of your collection.. For example, are you going to display the statues in your entertainment room around a big screen TV, then you might want to stick with Movie based statues to give it that Hollywood feel.

It's important you really put thought into it, otherwise this hobby can put in you into debt really fast if you try to buy everything you like...
Old 07-21-2015, 12:27 AM   #25
Tacheyon
A day without sunshine is like... night.

B2S has basically covered all the basics. I am still somewhat of a neophyte when it comes to statues, but I have been collecting various media most of my life (comics, movies, LEGO). So this is stuff I have learned over the years.

#1 Run for your life! (I am talking to your wallet)

#2 Make a budget and stick with it (or try to at least keep your house, utilities paid up)

#3 Choose what you want to do with your collection. Are you buying to flip? Want to display your new acquisitions in a public area or in a more private area. (Depending on what you are collecting some pieces can be a bit risqué)

#4 IKEA will be your new friend. DETOLF and BESTA storage and display cases (depending on the sizes or your pieces) are what I use for my collection (Bishoujo's, Bombshells, ARTFx +J's).

#5 Research the people you are buying from. For me I usually buy my Kotobukiya and DC Bombshells items from my Local Comic Store. The guy there lets me inspect all the stuff I order before I buy so it makes it easier to return if something goes wrong. But sometimes I go through Amazon and E-bay for items that you can't order anymore. Amazon is bad for inflated prices so be very careful there. E-bay you can look at what final price a item has sold for and you can get a idea about what the secondary market price is.

#6 And lastly .... have fun. You are about to spend some serious coin, make sure you use it on stuff that you will enjoy.
Tacheyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 05:13 AM   #26
Shoo
Hercules

Quote:
Originally Posted by built2shred View Post
As for Yamoto/Yamato, All I can say is Tomato/Tamoto
That was a good one.
Shoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 05:26 AM   #27
Hunterkingxxl
Luke Cage

My advice, pick a type of collectible you would like to collect. When I started, I collected all scales and all types. PVC, 1/10 scale, 1/4 scale, replica's, props, polystone, busts, full size.... ugh.... wish I would have thought it through.

I'm now 5 years in and am starting to consolidate a little. Only large scale statues for me and some bishoujo... that's it. Way to messy a collection with everything in the mix. Not to mention the cost to fund all types and lines.
Hunterkingxxl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 09:48 AM   #28
jakesnake771
Frackin!

Yeah I've been doing some thinking on what I'd like to focus on.

Like I said, I have the Batman Black Costume Kotobukiya ArtFX. I really really want the Superman For Tomorrow Kotobukiya ArtFX as well; I think those two, on opposite sides of a TV, would make a nice piece. I also preordered the hulkbuster/hulk Age of Ultron pieces which I could see going on top of the TV.

I really like the size of the ArtFX pieces; I could see collecting those (think they're 1/6 scale). But I'm also interested in MCU statues and general Batverse stuff too.

Ugh, there's so much cool stuff out there; it's going to be tough to narrow my focuses haha.

Edit: And now as I look more, I think I might collect Star Wars as my main focus. I've been reading all of the new canon novels and watched the shows/movies. Might be a good place to focus, with the occasional oddball piece here or there.
Old 07-21-2015, 10:05 AM   #29
nbr3bagshotrow
curmudgeon Mod
Super Moderator

Go through this section. Might give you an idea of what you want to strive for.

http://www.statueforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=134
Old 07-21-2015, 10:48 AM   #30
jakesnake771
Frackin!

Thanks for the suggestion. Gives me some good ideas for collection layout.

Let me ask a question about scales...what are the most common ones? It looks like the Star Wars Koto ArtFX+ stuff is 1/10 scale and the ArtFX stuff is 1/7 scale...the Batman I have is 1/6 scale, some of the other ArtFX stuff is 1/6. I kind of like that size...is 1/6 pretty common?

I'm thinking I'd like to collect Star Wars and then some assorted Marvel statues, perhaps Marvel 1/6 statues?