Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > General Statue & Collectible

Old 07-27-2015, 07:45 PM   #11
Wizard
Justice League

Wow. So, this appears to be a life-long condition. As it has not only been stated here, but also elsewhere, it appears the way to collect is not necessarily what is cool, but what you love...hopefully the two exist as one. I'm currently infatuated with the Prime 1 Arkham Batman (thing of beauty). I'm leaving that one up to the "statue gods;" I have the exclusive on Sideshow's waitlist - if it converts...$1000 including shipping. I would have laughed anyone out of the room two years ago if he or she told me that I would pay that much for a comic book/video game/movie-type statue.
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 12:34 AM   #12
riteguytu
I was arrested for selling illegal-sized paper.

Once a collector, always a collector. It's the way our brains are wired

I started with comics way back in the late 80's, then discovered comic book busts about 10 years ago. As a direct result of that, I picked up sculpting and model painting a few years after that. Now I'm equal parts statue collector, sculptor, painter, selective omnibus collector...

As Nbr says, it's fun and helps me relive the pleasures of being a kid again; as long as it's controlled lol.
riteguytu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 12:46 AM   #13
candyrocket786
Suicide Squad

Been collecting for 20 years now. It started with action figures (mainly SW POTF craze in '95) and then led to statues, starting with the WB Studio Store animation maquettes.

Now it's a variety of things (1/4 Scale statues, 1:1 Busts, Prop Replicas, Animation Cels and other art). I was bit by the movie poster bug somewhere in between, but that didn't last long.

I ended up donating about 95% of my toy collection last Christmas to a local non-profit program for struggling families. There were roughly 30-40 gift bags with SW 6inch, 12 inch, Mcfarlane, hot wheels, etc all sealed.
candyrocket786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 12:05 AM   #14
prescribeddrone
Artificial Intelligence usually beats real stupidity.

Oh man, whenever I saw statues I wanted them... but too much money at that time.... back in 2007 I was like "I need Spawn figures...." then Marvel Legends... and I was like screw it I want some statues of characters I love- figures I can put in a plastic bin and still have and not care... they're fun for ACBA ...figures are cool, but statues are cooler.... and that was around 2008?

I first got the Bowen Brown Wolverine Museum statue and a Batman Black & White statue- the 1st Koto 1/6 Batman and one of my grails... BOWEN Deadpool. Slowed down after a while...

Around 2011 I stopped buying anything but comics for like 2 or 3 years, I came back to buying statues after ironically buying a few more action figures... after a few loose joints and sloppy paint aps... I saw some Figuarts Zero DBZ statues for cheap and the ARTFX+ line and was like damn, for 20/30 dollars more I can have a nicer piece and now I bought 13 statues since April 2015....

9 ArtFX+, 1 ARTFX and a Bowen... and I'm searching ebay for deals... and I have like 4 more on pre order.
prescribeddrone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 04:30 AM   #15
Transient
A day without sunshine is like... night.

Your urge to collect probably won't ever end. It's usually the result of an obsessive and/or addictive personality.

I've been collecting something since I was probably elementary school age. Nerf Guns, Lego, Hot Wheels, Action Figures, Model Planes, Art Prints, Statues, Prop Replicas.

For statues and other non-completionist collective efforts, the only thing that works is to try to limit yourself to items you truly have to have. Either that or have a TON of expendable income. Also, selling off older less stimulating collections to help fund the new, more interesting ones.
Transient is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 05:16 AM   #16
prescribeddrone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transient View Post
Your urge to collect probably won't ever end. It's usually the result of an obsessive and/or addictive personality.

I've been collecting something since I was probably elementary school age. Nerf Guns, Lego, Hot Wheels, Action Figures, Model Planes, Art Prints, Statues, Prop Replicas.

For statues and other non-completionist collective efforts, the only thing that works is to try to limit yourself to items you truly have to have. Either that or have a TON of expendable income. Also, selling off older less stimulating collections to help fund the new, more interesting ones.
I sold the 6" War Machine from Iron Man 2 (Wal-Mart one) loose with a bunch of BAFS and got around $87 for it... bought a $95 Bowen Spidey
Old 07-29-2015, 08:21 AM   #17
bruhaha69
The Stones, I love the Stones. I watch them whenever I can. Fred, Barney...

I started with Berserk statues from Art of War in 2007, I think. Berserk was going to be it until my sisters bought me an Ash premium format statue from Sideshow that same year. I then saw who Sideshow was and saw the cool Marvel statues out there. Flash forward to now and I have only 10 statues displayed and am surrounded in a room full of boxes that I need to sell.

So in my experience, the addiction ends ( I was getting 1 or 2 statues or kits in every week for a couple years), but the clean up continues.
bruhaha69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 11:49 AM   #18
ftrez
Nightwing

I remember coveting the Bowen Batman statue back in 1992 (I think it was) and late his first Captain America and Daredevil statues. I filled a room with display cases then started piling statues into a closet, then beside the closet until, about 2 years ago, I decided that I was done buying/collecting. No more room, no more statues.
ftrez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 10:52 PM   #19
prescribeddrone

Look what I got in the last 3 weeks..

I can only imagine if I had more room and a better income...
Old 08-01-2015, 03:33 PM   #20
Honored Knight
Sey hallo to my lille fren!

It is indeed a life long addiction. Collecting is the best and worst thing to ever happen to me. Been struggling with it for nearly 40 years!!! Money and space is why I say worst. My interests have changed throughout the years which only added fuel to the fire. The sad part is nearly everything I own is in boxes. I live in fear afraid a spec of dust will get on something or it will be exposed to sunlight. I need and want to display properly. Instead of spending money on doing that I keep buying more.
Honored Knight is offline   Reply With Quote