CKinSD
Crush Mod
Super Moderator

good review BC
Old 02-14-2006, 05:07 PM   #12
Bullseye
Mod Assassin
Super Moderator

Nice constructive review Mike. This is the most anticapted piece for me so it will be interesting to read your review again with the sculpt infront of me. I do agree the Venom on this one and the Spidey on the Venom are gimmics really so i wouldn't be too concerned about viewing them.
Bullseye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 05:53 PM   #13
Gruson
Suicide Squad

Nice review and I agree with you.

I personally still like this Spidey best:

Gruson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 06:17 PM   #14
JohnCleary
Sculptor
Sculptor

Thanks for the review mike. 3 stars. Ouch. Thats cool and I appreciate your honest review. I always welcome constructive criticism, thats how I grow as a sculptor. It was my very first foray into the world of super hero sculpting and I agree that there were a few things I could have improved on. My skills have grown alot since Spidey but I am still very proud of it. I had one of thebiggest smiles I've had in a long time yesterday when I opened the first Spidey. It was plastered from ear to ear!

I agree on the fingers. Venom's head is a bit round. I originally had the classic big eyed venom and Randy wanted me to make it look like Venom was in pain from the rubble that fell on him and squint the eyes. I also didnt intend for venom to be viewed unless you turned it around to look. It was just a little something extra I was doing for fun. I originally placed Spidey on the other ledge. Thats where I thought he looked best but he ended up on the other side. Not a big deal though.

For my first statue I am very happy with how it turned out and I hope it is a welcome addition to everyones collection.

Thanks!
JohnCleary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 06:36 PM   #15
nbr3bagshotrow
curmudgeon Mod
Super Moderator

Excellent review Mike. Displayability (huh?) is extremely important in a statue. I was disappointed as Juggernaut was voted best FS with it's obvious flaw of Juggernaut looking down forces a high placement in a display to really be able to see the face. Also, the Modern Black Panther had the same issue with the Wakenda Embassy plaque placement. You couldnt see both of the plaques if you place the BPM where you see his face and likewise if you placed the BPM where you could see both plaques his face was almost facing backwards. Accurate representation of a character is one facet of a successful statue but how the statue displays is just as important. Kudos for your review. Keep up the good work.
Old 02-14-2006, 06:57 PM   #16
Primal
Batman

A very well-written & honest review BC! You covered just about all aspects of this piece. Great job!
Primal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 02:13 AM   #17
risingstar
Jedi Order

I enjoyed reading that review. It was concise, carfully written as to not invoke states of outrage, and provided a very balanced perspective.

Given the history of the piece, I'd say the fact that it was made makes it an immence success for the sculptor.

Nice job!

risingstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 11:37 AM   #18
ashley76
Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time.

good review Mike! Excellent well thought out points. keep em coming...
ashley76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 06:07 PM   #19
migsmack
Birdman

Love that review but hate that mouse. Get into the modern age BC that stock Apple mouse blows.
migsmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 06:26 PM   #20
Wooktroop
I was arrested for selling illegal-sized paper.

nice review
if you get a chance maybe find some black cloth to hang behind the sculpts for the next review pics
Wooktroop is offline   Reply With Quote