Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comic Book Art/Commissions/Sketches

Old 03-31-2016, 05:17 PM   #1
lordrycon
Borrow money from a pessimist, they don't expect it back.

That moment when...

you go to Michael's to enquire about some framing quotes and the amount they quote you is almost as much as the art cost!

Is it just me, or have prices at Michael's gone up?

Where do you guys typically go for your framing? Am I better off checking out some local framers rather than a chain store like Michael's?

Where do you draw the line on cost. I know that I want to protect the artwork, but part of me just can't spend $300 to frame a $400 piece.
lordrycon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 05:19 PM   #2
Mr. Machismo
Borrow money from a pessimist, they don't expect it back.

Michael's will likely ruin your artwork. Avoid at all costs.

Do not go to chain stores, period. Those that do and think it's fine aren't aware that their artwork is being damaged / has already been damaged. At least this is the case 9/10 times.

Just do some research on framing before you check out local shops. Some shops trim the artwork or essentially glue it down. A number of them are ignorant and will ruin the artwork.

You want archival materials, affixing the artwork with mulberry paper hinges with rice paste (preferred method of museums.) Corner mounts can also work with lighter artwork, but hinges are better.

Museum glass is the way to go for glass you can't see and conserves artwork the best –-pricey, though.
Mr. Machismo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 11:52 PM   #3
Simplyrob
3 kinds of people: those who can count & those who can't.

Ryan, I don't have anything against Michaels personally. I've always been very specific when dealing with them. You have to tell them what to do, sometimes. My dude that used to work at Michaels, was a collector himself and the department manager. That helped. I was able to take nice stuff in to him and wouldn't have to worry about any damages.

I was gonna frame a print for my wife recently, but, we balked at the price. Print was $50 and frame would've been $260. I suppose all the prints are about that, but, the resale value wasn't there on hers. www.americanframe.com has some good alternatives. You can upload a jpeg of your art and see what it'll look like. They ship you the frame in pieces and you assemble it yourself. Check there.
Simplyrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 01:24 AM   #4
tandt71
Doh!

frames

If you have a Hobby Lobby near you I would suggest you try them. They have ready made frames that are always on sale and can make any custom ones you may want and they do have options on acid free mats and museum glass etc if you want to go that route. They also have a 40% off coupon you can use on 1 item as well. Their prices are very affordable.
tandt71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 07:00 AM   #5
risingstar
Jedi Order

I use Micheal's from time to time. I wait for 50% off sales. Also, I never leave the artwork there. When my ordered frame comes in, they call me, and do the job on the spot while I wait. I hand-pick the person who customizes the frame. The artwork is in their hands for less than an hour.
risingstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 07:06 AM   #6
joefixit2
Baron Zemo

If I framed all my artwork, I would have less artwork.
joefixit2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 09:00 AM   #7
Ghost9
U talkin' to me?

I'm not big on framing anymore. I have several things framed, but I actually prefer them in my portfolios. I take out my portfolios and look at them quite often. When I did get several things framed, I went to Michael's and had no problems. I wait until the holidays when you can essentially get 65% off. They run 50% off sales all the time. But I agree you have to be very specific about the mount, the glass, etc. I was super anal with them, and all mine came out just fine.
Ghost9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 10:37 AM   #8
carlito1978
Hellfire Club

perhaps I'm the lone one here that is not opposed to cheaper frames. if your artwork is kept outside of the sun or in the basement, does frame quality really matter that much?
carlito1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 10:43 AM   #9
Ghost9
U talkin' to me?

If there's a matte or other paper or cardboard in there as backing that's not acid free, it can make the quality of the art deteriorate over time or cause it to yellow. Also, if the art is right up against either cheap glass or plastic, it can transfer the image onto it over time. Keeping out of the sunlight is key, but these other things are important for the long haul also.
Ghost9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 10:58 AM   #10
carlito1978
Hellfire Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost9 View Post
If there's a matte or other paper or cardboard in there as backing that's not acid free, it can make the quality of the art deteriorate over time or cause it to yellow. Also, if the art is right up against either cheap glass or plastic, it can transfer the image onto it over time. Keeping out of the sunlight is key, but these other things are important for the long haul also.
carlito1978 is offline   Reply With Quote