Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comic Book Art/Commissions/Sketches

Old 10-13-2005, 07:38 AM   #11
Sam Wilson
Samurai Vato

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdh.goodgrief
Nah, I'm not bonkers like Bullseye. Shipping expenses pretty much rule this out as a bad idea over here, making the difference in price not worth it to me. There's only so much money to spend, after all, and the folks I have to visit won't be blown away by a giclee any more than they will be a well-framed lithograph: no comics fans to impress in my life. If I had all the money and wallspace in the world (and an infinitely, as opposed to just very, understanding wife), sure, I'd go for it, albeit after many other things (Factory X Mjolnir, for one...). But as it is, I'll stick with my very occasional Ross litho. I love McDonalds too, you won't get a better chip anywhere in the world, but I guess I won't be holding out my pinkie finger as I eat them.

meh, mcD's is okay once in awhile, but I gotta dig on a fat steak occasionally...

I'm american yo. We're gluttonous by nature...
Sam Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005, 08:01 AM   #12
Logan
Kindly Asked To Leave

Quote:
Nah, I'm not bonkers like Bullseye. Shipping expenses pretty much rule this out as a bad idea over here, making the difference in price not worth it to me. There's only so much money to spend, after all, and the folks I have to visit won't be blown away by a giclee any more than they will be a well-framed lithograph: no comics fans to impress in my life. If I had all the money and wallspace in the world (and an infinitely, as opposed to just very, understanding wife), sure, I'd go for it, albeit after many other things. But as it is, I'll stick with my very occasional Ross litho.
Dude, I agree 100%! I just don't have the money to buy giclee's, I'm still a student and I have to pay some bills. I do have these:

Marvel: Heroes (signed by Alex Ross)
Marvel: Uncanny X-Men (signed by Ross
Marvel: Villains (signed by Ross)
Marvel: Original X-Men (Signed by Ross)

And I have a big @ss poster of the Marvel Universe (the one with Hulk in the front) just because I couldn't find a litho of it.
On top of that, there are alot of statues I want and have.
So money is the big problem
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005, 08:03 AM   #13
cblakey1
Cyclops

But posters and lithos do look good..

.. if nicely framed.

I just like everything to be framed w/ glass for my art collection. Just don't like how the canvas looks in the mix. But that's just me.
cblakey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005, 08:38 AM   #14
Aarrgghh!!
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

So if an original can't be obtained no Giclee? Right?
Aarrgghh!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005, 09:51 AM   #15
rosko23
U talkin' to me?

call me crazy jdh, but I would much rather have a giclee over a lithograph or poster. Even there is a price difference of $500 or $700. I aint out to impress anyone. My Gf thinks I am nuts and none of my friends like comics. If anyone has ever had a giclee next to a lithograph. It would be like comparing a Chevy w/out power windows or locks to a Cadillac fully loaded w/ rims and a system. Just my opinion, but I guess that is why there is so much variety out there. For the Chevy lovers and for Caddy lovers like me.
rosko23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005, 09:56 AM   #16
Zurbaran1
Mod Guru

Quote:
I'm sad to hear I don't have a refined eye. Is there an operation I can have?
There's no operation that's going to help you friend.
Zurbaran1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005, 11:52 AM   #17
JDH
Agent of H.A.M.M.E.R.
Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosko23
call me crazy jdh, but I would much rather have a giclee over a lithograph or poster. Even there is a price difference of $500 or $700. I aint out to impress anyone. My Gf thinks I am nuts and none of my friends like comics. If anyone has ever had a giclee next to a lithograph. It would be like comparing a Chevy w/out power windows or locks to a Cadillac fully loaded w/ rims and a system. Just my opinion, but I guess that is why there is so much variety out there. For the Chevy lovers and for Caddy lovers like me.
You're not crazy, just have different priorities, as we all have (you have particularly good taste in original art too!). It just rankles me a little to hear folks who are more than satisfied with lithographs dismissed as inferior. Sadly, I have no idea what a modern Chevy or a modern Cadillac look like, but I get the idea.
JDH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005, 11:59 AM   #18
Bullseye
Mod Assassin
Super Moderator

Quote:
You're not crazy, just have different priorities, as we all have (you have particularly good taste in original art too!). It just rankles me a little to hear folks who are more than satisfied with lithographs dismissed as inferior. Sadly, I have no idea what a modern Chevy or a modern Cadillac look like, but I get the idea.
Theres absolutely nothing wrong with Lithographs. I have at least four which i have nicely mounted and framed. I do think that a spending a little more on a suitable frame makes a big difference to the appearance to the Lithograph though. I have little or no experiance with Giclee's as these will be my first purchases. I would suggest that a Chevy is similar to a ford whereas a Cadillac would be closer to a BMW but i could be wrong.

Oh yeah i ain't mad just a little crazy.
Bullseye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005, 12:04 PM   #19
Bullseye
Mod Assassin
Super Moderator

Quote:
I love McDonalds too, you won't get a better chip anywhere in the world, but I guess I won't be holding out my pinkie finger as I eat them.
You being an English man and no different from myself would surely prefer a home-made chip to those extruded potatoe fries.
Bullseye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005, 12:05 PM   #20
JDH
Agent of H.A.M.M.E.R.
Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullseye
Theres absolutely nothing wrong with Lithographs. I have at least four which i have nicely mounted and framed. I do think that a spending a little more on a suitable frame makes a big difference to the appearance to the Lithograph though. I have little or no experiance with Giclee's as these will be my first purchases. I would suggest that a Chevy is similar to a ford whereas a Cadillac would be closer to a BMW but i could be wrong.

Oh yeah i ain't mad just a little crazy.
Well, I drive a tiny little Ford KA and love it too, so just count me as part of the underclass on all fronts! Only time I get to see these gas-guzzling, Earth destroying Yank cars nowadays is on Pimp My Ride. Definitely, if you have your lithos framed it's a world apart from sticking a poster to your wall with Blu-tak...
JDH is offline   Reply With Quote