Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 10-13-2023, 02:18 PM   #1
nbr3bagshotrow
curmudgeon Mod
Super Moderator

Best Buy to stop selling DVDs and Blu-Rays.

In 2024, Best Buy will stop selling DVDs and Blu-Rays at both its brick-and-mortar stores and online.
Old 10-13-2023, 02:21 PM   #2
bladou20
Sey hallo to my lille fren!

The thread title says Blockbuster. Still not that surprising considering the vast majority of people never upgraded from DVD.
bladou20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2023, 02:22 PM   #3
nbr3bagshotrow
curmudgeon Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladou20 View Post
The thread title says Blockbuster. Still not that surprising considering the vast majority of people never upgraded from DVD.
Fixed.
Old 10-13-2023, 04:01 PM   #4
Augen
Metal Men

I guess Amazon be about all that will be left as an option eventually. Honestly I don't know if we will get a physical format past 4K UHD discs.

Personally when I really care about a film I want to own it and have the best picture quality possible to watch it in.
Augen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2023, 04:06 PM   #5
jeremydmc
Black Panther

I wonder who will pick up selling steel books. I have all the Marvel and DC movie steel books from Best Buy.
jeremydmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2023, 04:24 PM   #6
ZenLogikos
S.H.I.E.L.D.
Adamantium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augen View Post
I guess Amazon be about all that will be left as an option eventually. Honestly I don't know if we will get a physical format past 4K UHD discs.

Personally when I really care about a film I want to own it and have the best picture quality possible to watch it in.
There will always be physical, but it will be extremely limited. More for collectors only. Specialty online shops. Like Limited Run Games does for videogames.
ZenLogikos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2023, 05:11 PM   #7
MrYac
Hercules

I don’t buy too many movies these days but the fact is You can never own anything digitally, they can alter it to suit their whims outright pull the license from you or disable the service.
MrYac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2023, 05:16 PM   #8
ZenLogikos
S.H.I.E.L.D.
Adamantium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrYac View Post
I don?t buy too many movies these days but the fact is You can never own anything digitally, they can alter it to suit their whims outright pull the license from you or disable the service.
Exactly right, but younger generations have been groomed to accept this type of "ownership" for years now, and they largely are compliant, if not ecstatic about it.

I admit I love the convenience of digital, but I'm not blind to it's negatives.
ZenLogikos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2023, 06:07 PM   #9
qz33
Doctor Doom

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenLogikos View Post
Exactly right, but younger generations have been groomed to accept this type of "ownership" for years now, and they largely are compliant, if not ecstatic about it.

I admit I love the convenience of digital, but I'm not blind to it's negatives.
People in their 20s now just don't care. Nothing they watch has enough significance to them for them to want to own it. We came up when movies & TV were the main source of entertainment. People watch stuff in pieces on their phones while they wait on something else.
Shows to them are something to be consumed and then move on. The MCU is just run of the mill to them.

And really I can see the perspective. Sure your favorite of fav's you want the warm & fuzzies of watching on your terms but for most stuff I'm fine letting someone else deal with the storage & space hassle. How many times am I really going to rewatch Doctor Strange 2?
qz33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2023, 07:12 PM   #10
nbr3bagshotrow
curmudgeon Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by qz33 View Post
People in their 20s now just don't care. Nothing they watch has enough significance to them for them to want to own it. We came up when movies & TV were the main source of entertainment. People watch stuff in pieces on their phones while they wait on something else.
Shows to them are something to be consumed and then move on. The MCU is just run of the mill to them.

And really I can see the perspective. Sure your favorite of fav's you want the warm & fuzzies of watching on your terms but for most stuff I'm fine letting someone else deal with the storage & space hassle. How many times am I really going to rewatch Doctor Strange 2?
Yep. Think what that attitude will do to the collectible market.