Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > News and Updates > Statue Reviews

Old 11-09-2013, 01:33 PM   #1
risingstar
Jedi Order

Supergirl statue - DC cover girls - Sculpted by Jack Mathews

DC Cover Girls Supergirl statue (Nov 2013) - 10 inches tall, limited to 5200 pieces, $99US.
Sculpted by Jack Mathews based on designs by Stanley Artgem Lau

risingstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 01:34 PM   #2
risingstar
Jedi Order

Old 11-09-2013, 01:36 PM   #3
risingstar
Jedi Order

Old 11-09-2013, 01:40 PM   #4
risingstar
Jedi Order

Just realized that I didn't post a pic of the box.

Old 11-09-2013, 01:52 PM   #5
risingstar
Jedi Order

For the price, one can't ask for much more. The paint applications are good. The base, though simplistic in design, fits well with the new line of cover girl statues based on the new 52. While the size of the statue is quite small at 10 inches, thankfully there are a whole bunch other cover girls it can be displayed with.

The three negatives against this piece are: 1) We can't display this piece in such a way where Supergirl is looking straight at you, which is a preference for me at least. 2) The detail on the statue is lacking in some areas, i.e., her fingers almost looked webbed together. Other than that, I'm quite pleased with this statue. It get a full B rating 7.5/10. Recommended.
Old 11-09-2013, 01:59 PM   #6
risingstar
Jedi Order

On deck for a review: DC Cover Girls Batwoman

Old 11-09-2013, 03:59 PM   #7
Macethy
Look out for #1. Don't step in #2 either.

Thanks for the review and the great pics

A few things stuck out for me from this piece:

- The generic "one size fits all" base seems tacky.
- You can clearly see the pin coming out of her right foot.
- I agree with you that the "webbed" hands put a damper on the piece.

Oh you also say that "For the price, one can't ask for much more" , is that a good or a bad thing (referring specifically to the price when compared to the quality)?
Macethy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 05:42 PM   #8
JP Sarri
Retired Reviewer

I really had high hopes for this piece, but like you said, some of the display angles are weird. Definitely, Adam Hughes Cover Girls were a lot better. DC should rename this line. Great pictures as always!!
JP Sarri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 09:05 PM   #9
Matches Malone
Bub Mod

Great looking piece. Having said that though it made me realize that the red area at the midsection of the piece is rather ill conceived (by the original costume designer not the sculptor/painter)
Matches Malone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 09:36 PM   #10
risingstar
Jedi Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macethy View Post

Oh you also say that "For the price, one can't ask for much more" , is that a good or a bad thing (referring specifically to the price when compared to the quality)?

Like anything else, the cost of a piece is impacted by the amount of time that is put into producing and shipping it. For under $100, I can't see many people thinking they overpaid which is why people scrutinize Sideshow so much more than they do DC's cover girls line. At $400, collectors are generally far less forgiving, as they should be.

The size and cost makes this line very display friendly. My 6 year old daughter, for example, loves this line because she can name everyone, and that they're all displayed together on a lower shelf. While PFs are great looking display pieces, they're space hogs so having a series of smaller staues which you can display on lower shelves looks really eye catchy, especially to kids under 4 feet tall... lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpsarri View Post
I really had high hopes for this piece, but like you said, some of the display angles are weird. Definitely, Adam Hughes Cover Girls were a lot better. DC should rename this line. Great pictures as always!!

Adam Hughes vs Artgem, basically. The latter definitely has a JapAnime feel to it. I think once there are as many Artgem pieces as there are Hughes produced, they'll likely display much better together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matches Malone View Post
Great looking piece. Having said that though it made me realize that the red area at the midsection of the piece is rather ill conceived (by the original costume designer not the sculptor/painter)

My sense is that these pieces are not meant to be overly detailed likely due to the cost. This line is probably meant to draw new collectors who aren't quite as focused on canon or as inclined to buy a line of Sideshow PFs. Just guessing.