Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comics

Old 10-18-2020, 09:53 AM   #41
protector2814
Phoenix

Gabriel, The Demon Hunter probably made it in to 5 issues of various Curtis' titles. He sprang up out of The Exorcist movie's popularity. I love this character & have all of his b&w appearences, but he was seldom used in Marvel's regular horror titles, which was a shame. He actually made it in to 2 issues of Fantastic Four.

Some Haunt Of Horror covers.

The gorgeous Satana!
protector2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 08:34 AM   #42
protector2814
Phoenix

If only the Werewolf by Night was included -

Old 10-19-2020, 09:36 AM   #43
Mister H
Green Goblin

Has there been a collection of the Legion of Monsters from Marvel?
Mister H is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 12:48 PM   #44
protector2814
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister H View Post
Has there been a collection of the Legion of Monsters from Marvel?
No, although Marvel did mine the title for their color books creating a "Legion Of Monsters" team using their supernatural stable. The Legion gets "resurrected" from time to time with new members & circumstances. As far as the B&W, Legion of Monsters mag. .. maybe stories from it have made it over to the 2 Marvel Horror omnibus. I know wktf has them & I'm sure there are others here. Anyone? .... anyone? ... Bueller? .... Bueller?"
Old 10-20-2020, 08:43 AM   #45
protector2814
Phoenix

A little clunky ... but still awesome.

Another Curtis Classic!

While not an actual comic, I'm going to include a Few Famous Monsters and Monsters of the Movies this year because both were related to B&W horror mags by blood.

They really should have included Count Yorga on this one.
Old 10-21-2020, 08:17 AM   #46
protector2814
Phoenix

There really was something about walking into a pharmacy or drugstore back in the 70's & seeing books like this on the racks. Of course, there would be, usually 2-3 spinner racks holding regular comics, but these B&W beauties would be nestled in amongst the odd side of the long mag. stand. Wrestling, true crime, hunting & shooting magazines would, all the sudden give way to Tales Of The Zombie, or a Dracula Lives. There would usually be 10 or so of these B&W beauties kind of hidden throughout the other non-traditional magazines. I could always talk my Dad, who'd be over in the hardware or tobacco section then walk on over to find me, to buy me one or two of these horror mags. Well worth helping him with the gutters or washing the car upon our return home.

My absolute favorite Curtis' cover EVER -

tomorrow, I'll finish up the Curtis.
Old 10-21-2020, 09:29 AM   #47
Mister H
Green Goblin

I think this is your best Horror Comics Thread. You got me searching Amazon and Ebay for stuff.
Mister H is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 10:04 AM   #48
protector2814
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister H View Post
I think this is your best Horror Comics Thread. You got me searching Amazon and Ebay for stuff.
Thank's, Mister H. I appreciate the appreciation.

I love horror comics & always have. My collecting comics started with DC's Horror Line, then spilled over to Super Heroes. The best place to find these type books, is at the smaller cons, imo.. Whenever I go to a fire-house or auditorium show, the majority of those there search for straight-up comic books. The b&w mag. dealers are there too, but are often skipped over. I'd say a large part of my mag. collection comes from these shows.
Old 10-22-2020, 08:35 AM   #49
protector2814
Phoenix

Somewhere here, & back when SF had weekly comic reviews on this thread, wktf & other members would devote a week or so to Horror-Themed titles for Halloween. It was a lot of fun & I wrote a lengthy review of the Marvel Essential on Tales Of The Zombie from their Curtis' Magaszine line for these reviews. I love that book, probably my favorite of their b&w line, ToZ delt with Zombie, Simon Garth & his tale of finding his daughter after being turned into a zombie by a voodoo queen he'd taken advantage of. The mag. had a beginning, middle & end & had the best ongoing covers of any Curtis mag. Seek out the Essential if you can find it. Better yet, as I've done, collect the full run of the original magazine. They can still be found. Expensive, but so well worth it.

Old 10-22-2020, 08:38 AM   #50
protector2814
Phoenix

Just an FYI, but Marvel did reprint, in a digest format, their Vampire Tales not too long ago. They're great.