Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 06-16-2019, 10:09 PM   #1
MKS
Nightwing

Swamp Thing - DC TV

Anyone else watching this? I am 3 episodes in and am enjoying it quite a bit. Way better than the previous movie versions.
MKS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 10:19 PM   #2
Tetragrammaton
The Flash

The early cancellation and knowing they never finished the season really has taken my interest out of seeing the series. Got to see episode 1 and while it was well made, it didn't really hold my interest.
Tetragrammaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 10:26 PM   #3
built2shred
Phoenix

From what I read production was suppose to get millions in tax breaks for filming in North Carolina... I guess North Carolina promised a $40 million tax rebate which was roughly half the proposed budget for Season 1 which was $80 million. In the end NC only coughed up $14 million and WB wasn't going to foot the rest of the bill so they just cancelled the show.

They're rumors that HBO or CW might pick it up...
built2shred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 10:31 PM   #4
Tetragrammaton
The Flash

I supposed they could have moved the production and put the series on a break, but this may exceed what they were willing to spend.
Tetragrammaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 11:35 AM   #5
Josh-a-tron
"Revenge is a Dish Best Served Cold"
Sculptor

Okay so I'm going to open this thread up again because we were discussing this show in the Last TV Show you Saw thread.

The taxes had really nothing to do with the cancellation, that was a rumor started by an online blogger who honestly didn't know what they were talking about.

Here is the Deadline article to show what I'm talking about.
https://deadline.com/2019/06/swamp-t...us-1202629052/

The most upsetting thing about this is that AT&T/Warner cancelled the show solely based on its budget of $85mil per season.

So let me put this in perspective. The last season of Friends cost about $170mil and had no FX, Game of Thrones in it's 6th season cost $100mil, it's 7th season with only 7 episodes cost about $70mil and it's eighth season of only 6 episodes cost $90mil.

So at $85mil the show is expensive for 10 episodes but not nearly as expensive as some of the most expensive shows that have been around.

It was also the best show on the service to me. Not to mention the budgets for some of the Marvel shows on Disney+ are looking to be over $100mil per season to make sure their quality is top notch. I just don't think AT&T/Warner really know what they're doing when it comes to making content for their services.
Josh-a-tron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 01:41 AM   #6
azurepred
The Masters of Evil

I too didn't want to really try a show that was cancelled so soon, but decided to give it a shot. I got a lot of flashbacks to when I watched the OG show as a kid. I love what they did with this show and can only hope someone like HBO picks it up and keeps the same cast. The practical effects were superb here. I couldn't imagine a better costume either.
azurepred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 02:21 AM   #7
Gothamite
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh-a-tron View Post
The most upsetting thing about this is that AT&T/Warner cancelled the show solely based on its budget of $85mil per season.

So let me put this in perspective. The last season of Friends cost about $170mil and had no FX, Game of Thrones in it's 6th season cost $100mil, it's 7th season with only 7 episodes cost about $70mil and it's eighth season of only 6 episodes cost $90mil.

So at $85mil the show is expensive for 10 episodes but not nearly as expensive as some of the most expensive shows that have been around.

It was also the best show on the service to me. Not to mention the budgets for some of the Marvel shows on Disney+ are looking to be over $100mil per season to make sure their quality is top notch. I just don't think AT&T/Warner really know what they're doing when it comes to making content for their services.
TV economics isn't only about budgets, though. NBC was willing to pay Warner a lot for Friends because it could charge advertisers enough money to generate a profit. Warner also knew Friends would be a perpetual goldmine in syndication.

With shows on DC Universe, AT&T and Warner have to rely entirely on revenue they generate on their own, either in terms of subscriber fees or DVD/Blu-ray sales. There's no way that Swamp Thing has large enough of a fanbase to justify $85 mil per season.
Gothamite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 06:14 AM   #8
Josh-a-tron
"Revenge is a Dish Best Served Cold"
Sculptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gothamite View Post
TV economics isn't only about budgets, though. NBC was willing to pay Warner a lot for Friends because it could charge advertisers enough money to generate a profit. Warner also knew Friends would be a perpetual goldmine in syndication.

With shows on DC Universe, AT&T and Warner have to rely entirely on revenue they generate on their own, either in terms of subscriber fees or DVD/Blu-ray sales. There's no way that Swamp Thing has large enough of a fanbase to justify $85 mil per season.
Most Streaming only TV series don't have a fan base for the first season to justify $85mil per season, but they do it anyway to establish the series. In terms of DC Universe though they don't have enough content to continually gain subscribers. Hell, some of their best movies aren't even on the service.
Josh-a-tron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 04:33 PM   #9
Gothamite
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh-a-tron View Post
Most Streaming only TV series don't have a fan base for the first season to justify $85mil per season, but they do it anyway to establish the series. In terms of DC Universe though they don't have enough content to continually gain subscribers. Hell, some of their best movies aren't even on the service.
Exactly, which is why the show was canceled. (Things might change if DC Universe is folded into HBO Max.)
Gothamite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 09:01 PM   #10
Meteor Man
Imperial Guardsman

My son and I started watching this series last night...finally. It's actually very good! Well done on about every level. I'm sorry they canceled after the one season, but even at that this one season is definitely worth a look! One of the series where I can say..."Well done DC!
Meteor Man is offline   Reply With Quote