Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > Iron Studios

Old 10-17-2019, 04:34 PM   #41
jaguargod
Sailor Moon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ereyi View Post
Just got my full set in today from Sideshow. Got to be honest, this is my first time ordering from Sideshow and buying items from Iron Studios and I am a bit underwhelmed by both companies. Grand total for this set was $812.70 (including Tax and Shipping to CA). Now I understand that the price includes 7 statues but the quality of the pieces just seems to be all over the place and I am not sure if it is worth the money. Some look pretty good, others have parts that look so fragile that it seems they could break if hit by a light breeze.
My set came with a BROKEN UNI.
My Hank has a wierd defect on the shackled skeleton on the base; the skeleton's right arm is sticking straight up instead of outstretched.
My Diana's staff has a major bend in it; due in part to it being made of cheap plastic and in part to poor packaging (seems like the styrofoam caused the bend.
My Presto's right hand looks too tight to fit his hat into it, although the hand may be made of plastic and might be able to stretch but I am not sure because there are no instructions or clues as to how to attach the damn hat.
The fingers on my Sheila look so delicate that I am afraid to breath on them.
Overall the statues feel like they are made of some combination of resin and plastic, not sure how to describe it but they just feel a bit off. Now on the plus side, the sculpts are pretty good for the small size. They look, for the most part, like the prototypes and enough like the cartoons that I want to keep them. But I will say that for the total price, I was expecting a bit more consistent quality. And as for Sideshow's packaging, I would say it is pretty poor. They stuff the art box into some random sized box, put it right up against the sides and just shove some butcher paper around one of the sides and top to keep it from moving around. No bubble wrap, no foam corners, no space around the art box to be sure it does not take a direct hit if droped, just the bare minimum. Either way, I have contacted sideshow with my issues, lets see how their customer service responds.
Mine arrived today. I just inspected them all, and no damage to report. All of the paint looks really sharp. Overall, I am very satisfied and excited to display this. There was a tiny bit of warp in Diana's staff, but it's not surprising with a piece that small, which also makes it easier to repair with a blow dryers and some cold water. If you take a minute to study the photo on the box, you will realize how Presto's hat goes on. It took me a minute to get oriented. I can see from your photo how you are trying to put it in the wrong way. The flat part of the hat should be positioned immediately behind the bend of the fingers. My only complaint is that I wish they had painted Uni's eyes, rather than have them closed in the middle of a bray, but it is what it is.

This is one of the most beloved of my childhood memories brought to life, and I love it. Anyone who knows me from the Predator posts knows that I am not an easy person to impress.
jaguargod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 09:00 AM   #42
ereyi
Fantastic Four

thanks for the reply jaguargod,
Can you confirm that the Skeleton on Hank's base on your statue has his arms outstretched like the prototype or is yours like mine with the right arm sticking straight up.
Also, when you put Presto's hat on, did you have to force it into the hand or did it go in easily. The pic I posted was just to show that even at the hat's thinest point, the hand was too tight or closed to fit the hat in.
ereyi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 12:45 PM   #43
Khufu
Mephisto

My Bobby was broken. The hand holding the club was completely loose (under the taped wrappings). It was a clean break though inside the cuff. So, I just glue it back in place. Not thrilled to have to do that but...

Presto's hand and hat... yikes I got lucky tinkering around with it, but some kind of instruction would have been nice. I looked at Google images to find the angle/alignment and it kind of went in okay. His fingers have a little flex in them. Again not thrilled about that either...

And my cat took off with one of Presto's flasks while I was messing around with his hat. Took me about 30 minutes to find out where she knocked it off behind the my desk/computer.

Everything else was great though, and I do really love the setup. The non-cat issues give me pause about pursuing the Sentinel dioramas though (along with the space required).
Khufu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 04:09 AM   #44
ereyi
Fantastic Four

Thanks for the info Khufu.

Sorry to hear about your Bobby, try contacting customer service at Sideshow. I have been in contact with them about my issues and the were very quick to replace my broken Uni. They sent out a replacement Uni (scary shipping method becuase it was packed in a ziplock bag and placed in a small box with of some crumpled butcher paper around it, but I can not argue with the results as it arived perfectly intact.

As for the rest of my complaints, they seem unsure if my issues with Hank's base, Presto's Hat/Hand, and Diana's Staff are defects present in all of the statues or if they are just problems with mine:

For Hank's base, they were unable to find any explanation as to why his right arm is sticking straight up and are not sure if all of the statues are like that. Any pics or info regarding your Hank would be most appreciated. They have offered to replace the piece entirely but I am hesitant until I confirm that the defect is not present in all of the items because other than that the statue looks good.

For Presto, they could not provide any directions and said that according to their info, the right hand is made of polystone but when I look at it and touch it, it feels like plastic to me and that would explain why it may have some give and can stretch to accomodate the hat. I have not wanted to attempt to force the hat in until I see an example video, but they have also offered to exchange that statue as well.

As for Diana's warped staff. I had asked for a replacement staff but they do not have any so they again offered to replace the entire piece. Not sure if it is worth the trouble as I am pretty sure that all the Dianas are going to suffer from this issue. How was yours?
Old 10-30-2019, 05:19 PM   #45
jaguargod
Sailor Moon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ereyi View Post
thanks for the reply jaguargod,
Can you confirm that the Skeleton on Hank's base on your statue has his arms outstretched like the prototype or is yours like mine with the right arm sticking straight up.
Also, when you put Presto's hat on, did you have to force it into the hand or did it go in easily. The pic I posted was just to show that even at the hat's thinest point, the hand was too tight or closed to fit the hat in.
Here is a photo of my Hank. I am in temporary housing while my home is being repaired, so I only took these out to inspect and then boxed them back up. This is the only photo I have. I'm not sure if it is the same issue as yours or not. Presto has to be able to hold the hat, so there is a certain amount of effort required to get it into the hand, but I did not feel like I was in danger of breaking anything.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Hank.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	67.1 KB
ID:	126643  
jaguargod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 01:15 PM   #46
No1
The Avengers

So far I have these 4:

Name:	20191031_081655.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	192.2 KB
ID:	126653

Name:	20191031_081706.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	179.3 KB
ID:	126654

Looks great to me, all right and no problems for now.
No1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 07:32 AM   #47
ereyi
Fantastic Four

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaguargod View Post
Here is a photo of my Hank.
Thanks for the reply and the pic jaguargod. Looks like it's a bit of a toss up how the skeleton is posed on Hank's base. So far neither yours or mine are like the prototype but I will say yours looks a bit closer.
Old 12-04-2019, 09:31 PM   #48
Shoo
The Enchantress

Brazilian video tour on YouTube. Search for "#ccxp19 - Iron Studios" and skip to 1'50".
Shoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 11:41 AM   #49
rico1701
It's not the years, it's the mileage

I loved the TV show and I've been tempted by these, but some of the issues concern me. Also, I wish the scale was a bit bigger for the price. One thing I wish they would have offered is some kind of full set discount. Still might pull the trigger but waiting a bit to see more feedback from others.
rico1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 12:14 AM   #50
MechWestern
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

I just got the early processing for Venger. Looking forward to adding him to the set. Are they making anymore from this line or is that it?
MechWestern is offline   Reply With Quote