Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > ARH Studios

Old 06-06-2014, 05:44 PM   #21
warhead
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

No doubt it's in good hands with Ehren..Dan Katcher worked with him in the McFarlane days and had high praise for Ehren's skills.
warhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 09:20 AM   #22
ReTardist
The Herculoids

Thanks dude. Yeah Dan is extremely talented. He's moved on to bigger things for sure. I believe he is involved in the digital modeling for the the Game of Thrones dragons. I was just talking to someone about how crazy the talent was that went through McFarlane's doors over the years. It's such a small world. I currently sit right next to Steve Lord who sculpted Frazetta's "Dark Kingdom ". He's one of the most talented classically trained sculptors I've ever worked with. And he has actually guided me a bit with with my work on the Death Dealer. But just in the time I went through McFarlane I've had the honor of working with these people. (and more)
Jean St Jean - My original supervisor. The guy has sculpted more stuff for DC than anyone else I could name. Google him. It's mind blowing
Mike Locascio - Probably the fastest wax sculptor I've ever known. Now runs an awesome macabre home décor studio selling tons of stuff through Etsy. Again, go look him up
Alex Heinke - Again an incredibly talented classically trained sculptor. Now a senior sculptor at NECA. Also teaches sculpture studios part time in the NY NJ area.
Brian Fay - My longtime room mate and closest friend from the old McFarlane days. He's now sculpting at Blizzard. He's done several incredible freelance sculpts for over the years including the Sideshow Darth Vader Mythos statue. I'm still envious of his ability to sculpt beautiful drapery.
Dave Silva - Now a senior sculptor at NECA and is very active in the GK scene. I've done Monsterpalooza, Wonderfest, and Resintopia with him. He owns a little company called Creative Beast. His dinosaur sculpts are second to none. He also worked at Hasbro for a bit.
Craig Campbell - Now at WETA
Adam Ross - This guy spearheaded much of the digital stuff that we got in to. A real pioneer as far as that goes. He also freelanced for Sideshow for a longtime before settling in the LA area and working at several VFX studios. He's also a motorhead so we got along.
And of course Ed and Andy Frank - The two brothers that have basically guided the company artistically over the years. Between the two of them, they have developed some of the most ground breaking methods of sculpting and painting imaginable. And it's hilarious no one knows who they. These are the guys Todd picked to more or less run his company. They are the unsung heroes. Todd footed the bill and provided the license. But without these two guys . . . it wouldn't have happened.
ReTardist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 01:43 PM   #23
warhead
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReTardist View Post
Thanks dude. Yeah Dan is extremely talented. He's moved on to bigger things for sure. I believe he is involved in the digital modeling for the the Game of Thrones dragons. I was just talking to someone about how crazy the talent was that went through McFarlane's doors over the years. It's such a small world. I currently sit right next to Steve Lord who sculpted Frazetta's "Dark Kingdom ". He's one of the most talented classically trained sculptors I've ever worked with. And he has actually guided me a bit with with my work on the Death Dealer. But just in the time I went through McFarlane I've had the honor of working with these people. (and more)
Jean St Jean - My original supervisor. The guy has sculpted more stuff for DC than anyone else I could name. Google him. It's mind blowing
Mike Locascio - Probably the fastest wax sculptor I've ever known. Now runs an awesome macabre home décor studio selling tons of stuff through Etsy. Again, go look him up
Alex Heinke - Again an incredibly talented classically trained sculptor. Now a senior sculptor at NECA. Also teaches sculpture studios part time in the NY NJ area.
Brian Fay - My longtime room mate and closest friend from the old McFarlane days. He's now sculpting at Blizzard. He's done several incredible freelance sculpts for over the years including the Sideshow Darth Vader Mythos statue. I'm still envious of his ability to sculpt beautiful drapery.
Dave Silva - Now a senior sculptor at NECA and is very active in the GK scene. I've done Monsterpalooza, Wonderfest, and Resintopia with him. He owns a little company called Creative Beast. His dinosaur sculpts are second to none. He also worked at Hasbro for a bit.
Craig Campbell - Now at WETA
Adam Ross - This guy spearheaded much of the digital stuff that we got in to. A real pioneer as far as that goes. He also freelanced for Sideshow for a longtime before settling in the LA area and working at several VFX studios. He's also a motorhead so we got along.
And of course Ed and Andy Frank - The two brothers that have basically guided the company artistically over the years. Between the two of them, they have developed some of the most ground breaking methods of sculpting and painting imaginable. And it's hilarious no one knows who they. These are the guys Todd picked to more or less run his company. They are the unsung heroes. Todd footed the bill and provided the license. But without these two guys . . . it wouldn't have happened.
Mcfarlane 3D stuff were definitely groundbreaking in my opinion...no doubt a lot of killer talent came through those doors.

Yeah Dan did a Conan project for me awhile back based loosely on the pose of Simon Bisley's Conan painting ...thats when I kinda learned about you and some of the talent that came through those Mcfarlane doors.

Glad that Steven Lord is helping you out...I do have the Dark kingdom and the Deathdealer 4 swamp statue that he did...very realistic look.

No doubt in my mind you will do Frazetta proud...
warhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 10:26 AM   #24
Vracula
Jedi Order

Thanks for the insight Ehren,look forward to your work.To this Day I feel the Mcfarlane had the best art direction,I mean 1 superhero so many avatars ,unbelievable creativity.
Vracula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 01:04 PM   #25
akitadad
42.7 percent of all statistics are made up on the spot.

Quote:
Yes this is what he told me as well. Needless to say we are incredibly excited about this opportunity. The history and importance of these paintings is not lost on me. I stated it elsewhere but I realize the huge shoes I have to fill with Moore and Bowen as my predecessors. We are doing everything we can to keep quality up and keep the pieces affordable. I will be traveling to Arahom's studio to personally assist with the molding and casting of these pieces. The paint of course is equally important. One thing that we are already discussing is making sure that the final sculpts have decent textures on them so the paint will grab and give a matte effect. We don't want any unnecessary glossiness. We will do everything in our power to bring you the most epic Frazetta statues possible.
When Bowen's Death Dealer was first released, there was no doubt in my mind when it came up for order; But after I had it for a while I came to the opinion that the horse and base were the best features of the sculpt, and that the Death Dealer was like an add on. The body lacked mass, he had this pencil neck, and the helmet and horns seemed off. I am absolutely interested in these updated larger scale versions, and wish you the best of luck with them, but I will be looking at the the end results with a more discerning eye than I had, twenty years ago. Getting a Frazetta piece" right ", is a great accomplishment
akitadad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 01:50 PM   #26
travis
A.I.M.

The Bowen Death Dealer and the Moore Barbarian are phenomenal pieces sculpt-wise. Only negative would be the paint apps. Even not repainted they for its day were just awesome pieces IMHO. Mine are repainted by me, but I loved them just the same for many years before I painted them a couple months ago. I will never bash those older pieces.
travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 02:34 PM   #27
ReTardist
The Herculoids

This is the kind of feedback I'm looking for. Any complaints you have about the earlier pieces, I will do my best to resolve with the new sculpts. The family has the final say in the production but any insights you guys have will no doubt be helpful as well..
Old 06-08-2014, 03:10 PM   #28
akitadad
42.7 percent of all statistics are made up on the spot.

Quote:
This is the kind of feedback I'm looking for. Any complaints you have about the earlier pieces, I will do my best to resolve with the new sculpts. The family has the final say in the production but any insights you guys have will no doubt be helpful as well..
I recall an interview with Clayburn Moore, while he was still in the process of sculpting the Barbarian, and there was a good deal of input and feedback between he and Frank before it was completed. I still have that article. Unfortunately, Frank has passed, and the burden of depicting what lies on the other sides of the art, falls to the ability and eye of the sculptor
akitadad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 04:20 PM   #29
wolf-brother
Captain Marvel

Quote:
Originally Posted by akitadad View Post
When Bowen's Death Dealer was first released, there was no doubt in my mind when it came up for order; But after I had it for a while I came to the opinion that the horse and base were the best features of the sculpt, and that the Death Dealer was like an add on. The body lacked mass, he had this pencil neck, and the helmet and horns seemed off. I am absolutely interested in these updated larger scale versions, and wish you the best of luck with them, but I will be looking at the the end results with a more discerning eye than I had, twenty years ago. Getting a Frazetta piece" right ", is a great accomplishment
I owned the Bowen Death Dealer also and loved it but I have to agree that I always thought the helmet was a bit off.

The only thing off on the Moore Barbarian was the factory paint app. I had mine repainted by Paul Moore and it's perfect.
wolf-brother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 04:36 PM   #30
ReTardist
The Herculoids

what didn't you like about the helmet?