Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Home Grown > Painter's Pit Stop

Old 04-01-2009, 09:42 PM   #11
BobAgentOfHYDRA
A day without sunshine is like... night.

Danno -- Sorry for the vagueness, but I do appreciate your response. It helps me realize that between comics, video games, finished busts, and day to day expenses, I would be adding another huge expense by picking up assembling and painting kits as a hobby.

boondocksaint -- That is awesome advice. When in doubt, try it out. Hahaha...Wouldn't want to drop a grip on supplies and realize that I don't enjoy it.

Jesse321 -- Thanks for the advice on the magazines. It's funny that you responded to my thread because it is your awesome DC kits that got me thinking about assembling and painting kits in the first place.
BobAgentOfHYDRA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 09:42 PM   #12
Danno
Paint Master
Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodydog12 View Post
Im slowly tinkering with kits. Is it best to airbrush? If the kit is 1 solid color, is it ok to spraypaint? Does using a brush leave brush marks???? Someone answer me before I begin painting!!!! PLEASE!!!
This is completely subjective...honestly, do what you
are most comfortable with. My first year, I did nothing
but hand brushing (this was back in 1992 mind you)
but I found myself quickly unsatisfied with my results.

The airbrush is a tool, like any other tool. The more
tools at your disposal, the wider variety of things you
can achieve. My best advice is to simply take your
time, don't compete with anyone and have some
fun.

http://www.picturetrail.com/dannodaman
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Danno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 09:53 PM   #13
Jesse321
Galactus

Quote:
Im slowly tinkering with kits. Is it best to airbrush? If the kit is 1 solid color, is it ok to spraypaint? Does using a brush leave brush marks???? Someone answer me before I begin painting!!!! PLEASE!!!
Don't be afraid of making mistakes ... some of the best things that have ever happened to me in this is hobby is making them. Worst case scenario, you give the piece an Easy Off bath and start all over again.

I've honestly learned 100 times more from the mistakes that I've made, than from the success I've had. Making mistakes forces you to try new things, and learn how to figure things out. and every time you learn a new technique, it's something else that you can put in your painting/building toolbelt that will make the next kit you do all the easier.

BTW ... there's also a great site that has lots of great information ... it's in my signature.
Jesse321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 09:55 PM   #14
Jesse321
Galactus

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobAgentOfHYDRA View Post
Jesse321 -- Thanks for the advice on the magazines. It's funny that you responded to my thread because it is your awesome DC kits that got me thinking about assembling and painting kits in the first place.

Trust me, any piece that I've had made is just a drop in the bucket, once you REALLY see everything that's out there, you're in BIG TROUBLE!!

And BTW ... Thanks, unintended or otherwise, that's probably the nicest compliment I've ever gotten.
Old 04-02-2009, 12:34 AM   #15
moore_000
What happens if you get scared half to death twice?

Quote:
Steve, as Danno point out, airbrush is required to get the professional finish look to it. It is good to practice painting with brush, as it is not always practical to air brush an entire statue especially on small areas. It is good that your kit have only one color. I would buy one brush and one bottle of the Americana brand acrylic paint and practice on it. Painting with brush will require you to put multiple coats of that one color to minimize the brush strokes. Do not pick up too much paint on the brush as it tends to leave brush marks. As Jesse have point out, practice on it and if you don't like the result, you can always strip the paint and redo it as practice. I wouldn't go crazy and buy too many things. If the Americana brand paint does not work for you, try another brand of paint. I found by trial and error that different acrylic paint have different characteristics to it when applying paint with hand brush. Find the one that you like and practice with it. With spray paint, controlling the paint flow will be your biggest issue. The biggest issue will be over spraying of surface with running paints.
moore_000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 01:34 AM   #16
riderV3
ROT Minister of Scientific Emergency Management

I started my whole painting thing with:

An airbrush with no brand name--$40

A tiny compressor--$150

Bunch of brushes-- about $25

Bottles of paint-- roughly $500(it's cumulative, you don't actually spend that much in one trip)

And other materials like sand paper, model knife and stuff...

I really don't see a solid starting cost of this hobby, you kinda start out with couple bottles of paint and brushes and as you "level up" you will need differnt tools, then you slowly build up you toolbox.

But as far as my experience goes I usually spend more on materials than the actual kits.
riderV3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 02:50 PM   #17
Vracula
Jedi Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse321 View Post
When you find a place, let me know, I could use some.
whhhhhhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaatever!!!stop being modest!!!:tounge:
Vracula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 04:58 PM   #18
Jesse321
Galactus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vracula View Post
whhhhhhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaatever!!!stop being modest!!!:tounge:
It's not modesty, when you guys look at my work, you see nice painting, but when I look at it (in comparison to A LOT of the work that I've seen done by others) all I see is the stuff that I've done wrong and how much more I still have to learn.

Ask anyone that knows me, they'll tell you, I'm my own worst critic.
Old 04-02-2009, 06:37 PM   #19
Vracula
Jedi Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse321 View Post
I'm my own worst critic.
thats a good attribute to have ,i like painters who are worried about the small details,it's the difference between an amateur and a pro paint job.
Vracula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 05:37 AM   #20
statuecrazy
42.7 percent of all statistics are made up on the spot.

I tried to paint a bust long time ago I was never happy with the results. I am very thankful I found a painter who can paint my pieces for me at a reasonable price without him I would not have near as many pieces as I do now.
statuecrazy is offline   Reply With Quote