Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Just The Facts... > Collection Corner

Old 01-27-2019, 10:26 AM   #221
ukshaun
Hercules

Quote:

A small display unit made from wood and 3 pieces of glass (shelves from an IKEA Detolf unit).
There is room for 6x Hot Toys. The size of the glass limited the height, which means no Hot
Toys stands, other than the Catwoman stand, as that one is thin. Maybe in the future the lights
could be upgraded. In person, they look ok. I added some background images that relate to the
characters. They are limited in size (14cm wide). It took some work hunting down images that
may work, and getting the scale to match the Hot Toy. The red, blue, white plastic strips were
added to pull the background images flat. The plan is to replace them with black plastic.

Wood top / bottom stained using Ebony wood dye. I popped the question on Facebook, and the
response was, black would look better, as the side's were black.

The good thing about wood dye, other than the fact it dry's super fast, is the wood grain remains
visible, if you like that sort of thing.
ukshaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 10:27 AM   #222
ukshaun
Hercules

HCG - Species - Sil ¼ scale

Arrived today, all the way from sunny Australia. I picked this up for quite a good price, which
helped cover the hefty import duty if I had purchased the piece direct from HCG. Sil represents
my first piece from Hollywood Collectors Group

Sil has been on my wants list for quite some time. I like Alien, I like most things from H.R.
Giger, and Species was an ok sci-fi movie, if slightly silly, and needless to say, Natasha Henstridge
is as hot as hell. From what I had read, the piece failed in the eyes of many (collectors). But still,
I wanted to see the piece in person, if only to form my own opinion.

I actually like the piece. It has a level of plainness going for it, which might have something to do
with the museum pose, or the cold look in Sil’s eyes, which appear lifeless, like a reptiles eyes,
which was probably intentional? Atleast they are pointing in the same direction (always a bonus
that). Sure, it would have been amazing if the paint app captured the portrait of the Species
poster (this was never going to happen). The sculpt is there, a repaint might make that a possibility.

The Alien green skin area’s work well. I like it when a piece is just that, a single piece, zero seams,
head and hands perfectly joined (non detachable). The hands are really well sculpted. Given the
piece’s age, the hands look better than some of the recent Sideshow ¼ PF’s i received in 2018
(plastic hands Harley Quinn springs to mind). My critical eye tended to be drawn to Sil’s hair
somewhat. It looks ok, but not on par compared to many of my other ¼ scale pieces.

The base, which is quite heavy, works well. I view the base as a step up from the clear bases
Gentle Giant offer, all the while not attempting to be Sideshow, XM Studio’s busy.

..time to dig out the DVD, and give the movie another whirl..
Old 03-07-2019, 10:14 AM   #223
ukshaun
Hercules

Hot Toys - Sarah Connor - Terminator 2

This has been on my Hot Toys wants list for quite some time. It’s possibly the best Sarah Connor
- Terminator 2 currently available (on the used market atleast). I finally located one going for a
normal price. Not new, as good as new. The likeness is Hot Toys impressive.

For the moment, a 1/6th scale Sarah Connor is the only option. Maybe some day a ¼ or 1/3 scale
piece will happen. I like to think Prime 1 will deliver, but I’m not holding out. But who knows?

My Hot Toys collection totals 8
The plan is to stop once i reach 10
Wasp looks good, as does Captain Marvel. They might be the one's to take the total to 10
Old 03-07-2019, 10:30 AM   #224
jeremydmc
S.H.I.E.L.D.

That Sarah Connor is awesome!
jeremydmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 01:09 PM   #225
ukshaun
Hercules

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremydmc View Post
That Sarah Connor is awesome!
Who ever worked on the portrait did an amazing job!
Old 03-08-2019, 10:58 AM   #226
ukshaun
Hercules

PCS - Chun-Li Alpha 1/3

Chun-Li Alpha 1/3 arrived today. Congrats to PCS for getting the job done (eventually), and to
Sideshow for their use of DHL’s Express delivery. Chun-Li left the US on Wednesday and arrived
at my door on Friday (today) - Amazing!

If you’ve ever seen XM Studios style packaging with the black straps (no sellotape) you’ll know
what to expect when opening up Chun-Li. On first inspection everything appeared to be fine, no
breakages, and Chun-Li’s eye’s looked spot on. So far so good.

Assembly proved straight forward enough. Body connects to base via foot pegs + metal pins.
Head pops on and is held on via a magnet. Both hands pop on and are held on via magnets.
Before adding the hands, the black bracelets have to held in place while the hands are attached.

The portrait turned out excellent. From what I can tell, the production piece appears to match the
prototype images closely. Paint app looks great. The fabric used use for Chun-Li outfit appears to
have been created to a high standard. All in all I’m happy.

However, there are two small nitpick issues and one slightly bigger issue.

1. The white paint used on the shoe laces appears thin. Thicker paint or better quality paint would
have fixed this.

2. Viewed from some angles, there is a seam where Chun-Li’s head joins the body.

3. The bigger issue. Viewed from some angles, there appears to be a resin shape under the front of
Chun-Li’s upper outfit. It appears to be crudely finished, and is probably supposed to be out of view.
I’ve attached an image to show this. Is it the resin’s fault or the outfits fault (for not covering it up?).
Are all the Chun-Li Alpha’s like this, or is my Chun-Li Alpha the only one like this?

Old 03-08-2019, 03:05 PM   #227
Augen
The Hulk

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukshaun View Post
Congratulations! She looks amazing from all angles and stunning delivery time.
Augen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 05:49 PM   #228
ukshaun
Hercules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augen View Post
Congratulations! She looks amazing from all angles and stunning delivery time.
Thanks. I'm none too happy about the section at the front. I think the tailoring is to blame, as looking at other's Chun-Li, it should be symmetrical. On my Chun-Li one side is higher, and showing raw resin. I've contacted Sideshow. A new fabric top should fix things, if there are any spares available? if there are any available, i'm not sure how easy it would be to attach?

Old 03-09-2019, 09:05 AM   #229
jkno4u
I went to a general store. They wouldn't let me buy anything specifically.

Great Sil statue and also Sarah Connor!
jkno4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 08:24 PM   #230
capchi3
Death is hereditary.

Yes...that Sil piece is something that always get overlooked!
capchi3 is offline   Reply With Quote