Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comics

Old 07-20-2007, 08:38 PM   #1
DC_Universe_Grl
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

What is up with WWH??

I don't usually read that many Marvel titles, ( hence I am a DC girl ) But one of my guy friends got me into the Hulk right before Planet Hulk ( which I absolutely LOVED btw ) And I am now reading WWH and to me the first few issues that I have read along with some WWH articles in Wizard seem to contradict themselves. On some pages other superheroes comment that HULK is the strongest he has ever been, never seen him so angry, so much rage etc. and the writers in articles are saying the same thing, that he is the strongest hulk ever, blah blah blah. Yet, every time he is in a fight with someone, it seems that their blows are hurting him and actually making HULK Bleed!!! WTF?! When I asked some comic vets they comment that they have never seen the HULK bleed so much in all the time they have read about the hulk To me it makes no sense at all. He bleeds in WWH more or as much as he did in Planet Hulk and that was when he was suppose to be weaker than ever b/c of the worm hole. ???
In my opinion they are not illustrating him in a way that suits the attitude that he is portraying in the dialog from the writers. I believe that it should be portrayed like WWIII in DC when Black Adam was just plowing thru people, or even how Doomsday was an unstoppable force against the entire DC Universe. What do you all think...............
DC_Universe_Grl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 08:46 PM   #2
patrickwm68
The Flash

I agree with you the stories are contradictory. It's still early but WWH is not living up to the hype which really has me P.O'ed because Planet Hulk was so great. I mean I was expecting NY to be leveled once he arrived.
patrickwm68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 09:18 PM   #3
DC_Universe_Grl

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickwm68 View Post
I agree with you the stories are contradictory. It's still early but WWH is not living up to the hype which really has me P.O'ed because Planet Hulk was so great. I mean I was expecting NY to be leveled once he arrived.
I didn't necessarily think that NY would be leveled, b/c this is a smarter hulk too, He was after the Illuminati first not just blowing up the earth. I am interested to see the newer issues just shown in Previews that show him on a thrown and the heroes fighting each other.....Also there was an interesting possible reference to WWH in the new Thor book....
Old 07-20-2007, 09:27 PM   #4
patrickwm68
The Flash

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC_Universe_Grl View Post
I didn't necessarily think that NY would be leveled, b/c this is a smarter hulk too, He was after the Illuminati first not just blowing up the earth. I am interested to see the newer issues just shown in Previews that show him on a thrown and the heroes fighting each other.....Also there was an interesting possible reference to WWH in the new Thor book....
Well not so much leveled but I expected more. I mean, 1. Why didn't he fight Sentry first once he got to NY?, 2. Where's the resistance? The military? Other Heroes? Shield?, 3. NY was just handed over, the PH aliens are just walking around mingling in.

Now I haven't read WWH #2 yet so everything I just said could have changed.
patrickwm68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 09:35 PM   #5
DC_Universe_Grl

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickwm68 View Post
Well not so much leveled but I expected more. I mean, 1. Why didn't he fight Sentry first once he got to NY?, 2. Where's the resistance? The military? Other Heroes? Shield?, 3. NY was just handed over, the PH aliens are just walking around mingling in.

Now I haven't read WWH #2 yet so everything I just said could have changed.
Some of your questions would have been answered in WWH #2 and WWH vs X-men #2. As far as the Sentry goes I think they are playing up to him and Thor coming together against the HULK, but hey its just my opinion...lol
Old 07-20-2007, 09:51 PM   #6
rilynil

I don't think many American writers would want to write about New York getting completely destroyed. Marvel is based in N.Y. and I'm certainly there are too many memories of six years ago.
rilynil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 09:54 PM   #7
joefixit2
Baron Zemo

You don't want all the fights to happen in the first issue! While the first issue was just a tad bit slow, even though he kicked Iron Man's butt, things are going to pick up in issues 2 and 3!
joefixit2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 09:55 PM   #8
DC_Universe_Grl

I am not trying to say that NY should be-- for the sake of argument this was taking place in the desert, --- For me the story is not going slow at all -- It just isn't Illustrated to fit the ultimate strength that the Hulk is suppose to have, and it still doesn't take away from the fact that the hulk is bleeding all over the place over every punch, kick and slap he gets.
Old 07-20-2007, 10:04 PM   #9
protector2814
Phoenix

New York does seem to be getting completely destroyed in this series. Half of me's just chalking it up to old-school Marvel, back when buildings were routinely destroyed during super-battles. The other half of me has really noticed the incredible destruction in this series. Iron Fist, on top of Dr. Strange's building in Soho, notices explosions and fires blocks and blocks away. Whatever bldg. the F4 have set up on is leveled. I guess, it's on account of the Hulk freaking rampaging. I've never had the armor properly explained to me. Why is he still sporting it? Why did he, all the sudden, start bleeding on Planet Hulk? I must have missed this being explained.
protector2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 10:07 PM   #10
Tetragrammaton
The Flash

Let me address some of the points raised so far.

A few years back, I forget exactly with which writer, but likely Peter David, it was revealed that a big part of the Hulk invulnerability comes from his ability to regenerate damaged tissue incredibly quickly. The only characters capable of making the Hulk bleed are those with extremely high strength levels and/ or adamantium claws. I seriously doubt we've seen him get a nose bleed from a punch from Spider-Man. While Cyclops' most powerful optic blast was enough to damage the Hulk's skin, it wasn't enough to stop him and the Hulk quickly shrugged it off.

Secondly, the Hulk cannot pull a Black Adam or Doomsday and go on a rampage, killing and destroying, screaming bloody murder and still be cast in his role of seeking rightful retribution on those who wronged him. The whole reason he was exiled by the Illuminati was because of this risk he represented. All he would do is prove them right and justify their actions against him.

There is a reason why the Sentry hasn't fought the Hulk. It was hinted at in issue 1 in the conversation between the Sentry and Iron Man, but we still haven't seen exactly what it is. It may be, just as mentioned once during a classic battle between the Hulk and four of the more powerful Avengers, when opponents of this power level fight, the chances for catastrophic collateral damage is high. The Sentry is the "human" equivalent of dropping a hydrogen bomb on the Hulk. Not your first course of action in a populated and urban setting.

SHIELD engages the Hulk in Iron Man 20 following the defeat of Iron Man .

General "Thunderbolt" Ross and the military are the next line of defense in WWH #3.
Tetragrammaton is offline   Reply With Quote