Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comic Book Art/Commissions/Sketches

Old 05-06-2010, 09:20 PM   #31
Frank
Death is hereditary.

I'm with everyone else, no money up front until I see the art! Like the man said, they want my money more than I want the art!
Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 09:24 PM   #32
Wrothy
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

That's ridiculous. He's definitely going on my s**t list.
Wrothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 05:04 PM   #33
BLAZE
I took an IQ test and the results were negative.

For me, it wasn't a commission but a pre-sale for Tom Hodges sketchbook. He was asking for 13 bucks at Wondercon March 2009 along with people's email. It's now July 2011 and no word on his book. I am an artist as well so I can understand about being swamped at times but he should make the effort, even in email form stating an ETA. I didn't see him at SDCC although I should have asked for my money back. It's not about the money (obviously), it's about the principle. I'll never buy anything from him again.
BLAZE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 07:16 PM   #34
Brawny
Borrow money from a pessimist, they don't expect it back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAZE View Post
For me, it wasn't a commission but a pre-sale for Tom Hodges sketchbook. He was asking for 13 bucks at Wondercon March 2009 along with people's email. It's now July 2011 and no word on his book. I am an artist as well so I can understand about being swamped at times but he should make the effort, even in email form stating an ETA. I didn't see him at SDCC although I should have asked for my money back. It's not about the money (obviously), it's about the principle. I'll never buy anything from him again.
I've bought over a dozen pieces from Tom Hodges in the past couple of months. He's done some of the pieces live on his art cast and is always ultra fast in replying to emails. He's a true asset to the art community.
Brawny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 07:40 PM   #35
BLAZE
I took an IQ test and the results were negative.

Commissions is one thing but to put them together into an ashcan type sketchbook has taken over 2 years with no status to the customers who pre-bought his book. He initially said it would take 2 months for the book to come out, not two years.

I have a few of his sketches and I've seen him work on sketches (quickly) at previous cons but I'll still never buy anything from Tom Hodges again.
BLAZE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 08:03 PM   #36
Brawny
Borrow money from a pessimist, they don't expect it back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAZE View Post
I emaled Tom Hodges and he replied fast as always. He tried to register to reply but had issues so ill pass the message on.

The sketchbook your referring to pre-paying for is the one that just got made. The other one one was never produced. If you want a refund instead of the sketchbook he will paypal it to you. His email is tom@tomhodges.com
Brawny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 08:06 PM   #37
Sam
Hydra

Does anyone know whatever happened with the original Ale Garza piece? I notice it's not up on the CAF anymore.
Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 08:46 PM   #38
predaking007
Death is hereditary.

Ale is now repped by Michael Alexander (see his CAF). Michael has reached out to everyone who was owed a Garza commission and reached a resolution with them. Ale was going through some life problems back then. I don't think Ale is taking home commissions, but if you plan to see at a con, it can be prearranged through Mike.
predaking007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 10:04 PM   #39
Sam
Hydra

No plans for a sketch from him. I was just curious.
Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 07:31 PM   #40
BaronV
Artificial Intelligence usually beats real stupidity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Head View Post
I used to be a fan. I got a commission from him at NYCC in 2009. When I approached him, and told him how much I liked his work his attitude was like "eh". I inquired about getting a commission, and he tells me it'd be $150, kind of with a "i want your money but I don't even want to talk to you" attitude. I had really wanted a piece from him, so I went through with it. I was not thrilled with the results, and in retrospect, I'd not have arrange it had I been thinking clearly. :/
Yup, I got the same attitude from him at this year's SDCC. I recently bought a Teen Titans OA of his so I brought a couple TT comics for him to sign and there was just some smoldering attitude vibe emanating from him (my wife even said so afterwards and she was across the aisle).
BaronV is offline   Reply With Quote