Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comic Book Art/Commissions/Sketches

Old 07-10-2011, 11:12 PM   #131
joefixit2
Baron Zemo

Dang Drew, I hadn't read this part. It was a nice looking piece but this is just stupid. Why would an artist do this? That just sucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by galactus View Post
This is the most recent piece I am disappointed with, and some of you will recognize this immediately.

This is a Colossus piece which was donated to the Heroes Con Art Auction a few weeks ago by DOMO (Dominike Stanton). I thought it looked great and it was one of the few pieces I liked at the auction (and the only one I had a chance of being able to afford).

Well, after a few hours, this pieces comes up for auction. Allison describes it as a blue line pencil piece, fully inked 11x17 piece of original art. The auction starts and I end up winning it for $150.00. I know that's well over it's "value", but the proceeds for the auction go to a good cause (yes folks, helping this show run is a good cause), so I didn't mind. I even met Dominike right after I won it and told him how great I thought the piece was. I said to him "it's blue line pencils which are inked over, yes, not a blue line printout with inks"? He says, "blue line pencils for sure".

Once the auction ended, I go to pay for the piece, get it, it looks great....but I look at it very closely and realize that it's a blue line print out which was inked over It's auctioned off as blue line pencils, the artist says it's blue line pencils, but it's NOT blue line pencils. Needless to say, I was less than pleased about this, but it still looked cool so I didn't mind AS much as I might otherwise.

Oh no folks, the story ain't over! After posting this piece in my CAF gallery, I get an email from a member of this very forum asking about the piece as it's EXACTLY like a penciled piece he commissioned from DOMO last year

DOMO took a customers commission, printed it out, inked it, and passed it off as a new piece of artwork for the Heroes auction! To be honest, it almost looks like the image he printed out to ink over was the one from the CAF gallery that I've posted above

I have no interest in the piece at this point, but much like a recast statue, I'm not about to sell it off to someone else simply because of it's origins. I've offered the forum member the piece free of charge if he =wants it to accompany his commission as that's the best thing I can think to do with this
joefixit2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 12:08 AM   #132
Argonus
Kindly Asked To Leave

Grah.. wow, Drew.. that blows.

Nice of you to offer the piece to the forum member, though.
Argonus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 12:40 AM   #133
Tony Coca
Teflon Don

that blows.
Tony Coca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 04:19 PM   #134
Pyrotwilight
U talkin' to me?

Huh. Surprised to see Greg Woronchak mentioned in this thread.

I had him do a piece for me once to see what he could do and e-mail's were answered quickly, info exchanged etc...

I mean even though I had a rather low bid on a splash page piece commission on his eBay he still seemed to go all out on it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Supergirls Greg Woronchak.jpeg
Views:	50
Size:	312.4 KB
ID:	65721  
Pyrotwilight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 08:05 AM   #135
Gotham95
Doh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank View Post
That sucks!! I hate it when you commission a piece and then you see the artists doing daily sketches, convention pre orders and other commissions and not yours! It doesn't make any sense, just do the piece!!
Next month will mark two years that I haven't received a $200 commission from a pretty prominent Marvel artist when I paid him at a Dallas Comic Con for a commission in Sep 2009. At first it was going to be done that weekend and then as soon as he got home within a week. Now my e-mails have gone unanswered. Never again...
Gotham95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 09:11 AM   #136
Sam
Hydra

You should go ahead and out the artist Gotham. We have a section for art stories for just such things.
Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 07:45 PM   #137
BaronV
Artificial Intelligence usually beats real stupidity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batfan View Post
artists always blame it on USPS,UPS or Fedex.. No it's YOUR fault if you stick a piece of art someone just paid you for in a buck envelope and send it your a dumbass.. charge the buyer for shipping materials I will pay an extra 6 bucks for you to buy the correct materials. Hell cheat go to the post office and get the free boxes used them then wrap it all in brown wrapping paper if you have too. I have had artists put the pieces between Masonite to make sure it came secure and the pieces cost me 25 bucks each.. much less when you pay decent money for a piece and they just throw it in a envelope. ok ranting here but this kinda stuff from artists pisses me off..
Sellers too. I bought a OA piece from another board for $115 and when it arrived the piece was just inbetween two non-reinforced cardboards. The art wasn't even placed in a plastic sleeve, just between the two cardboards, so of course there's a slight bend on the piece. Geesh.
BaronV is offline   Reply With Quote