Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comic Book Art/Commissions/Sketches

Old 06-29-2011, 03:28 PM   #1
risingstar
Jedi Order

What are your "pages that got away"...??

Do any of you have memories (or misgivings) about a page or pages that got away? I'm not talking about a Ross Batman double page spread you likely could not or ever afford. I'm talking about pages you really wanted but were either just outbid on, or missed out on because you didn't know it was available, or didn't have the cash at the time (but could have had it shortly thereafter, but it was too late by then).

I realize this could open old wounds... lol.
risingstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 04:06 PM   #2
Landroid
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

Sandman Mystery Theatre #1 Page 16. It's just a page of 12 panels with Wesley making his gas. I asked Guy Davis about this and at the time he mentioned he had it in his office so I figured that was a lost cause.

Then I see it on CAF. Comment on it and the guy (not Guy) says he'll sell it to me for a grand.

So I tell him I'm interested and I'll get back. Apparently I waited too long...
Landroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 04:11 PM   #3
Argonus
Kindly Asked To Leave

A couple Planet Hulk pages, since I "came back" to comics after that storyline had already come and gone.

I know who owns them...

...ah.. another PH page that I saw, but only after already spending $1,500 cash at the convention, and the page in question was $600. I don't use my credit cards on anything comic-related, so I was s.o.l.

No harm done, though.... I love the PH pages that I have, and I'll undoubtedly come across some of the others that I missed at some point.
Argonus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 04:26 PM   #4
Mean Green
Fantomah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argonus View Post
A couple Planet Hulk pages, since I "came back" to comics after that storyline had already come and gone.

I know who owns them...

...ah.. another PH page that I saw, but only after already spending $1,500 cash at the convention, and the page in question was $600. I don't use my credit cards on anything comic-related, so I was s.o.l.

No harm done, though.... I love the PH pages that I have, and I'll undoubtedly come across some of the others that I missed at some point.
I echo this sentiment

Most recently (this past Monday actually), I just lost out on this great page. I chat here and there with the gentleman who ended up picking it up and it seems like he was destined to get it. He had been checking Kirk's site for updates all day and nothing. For some reason, he couldn't fall asleep that night and woke up, checked the website, found that Kirk had added a whole slew of pages after midnight EST (he's on the west coast) and reserved the page on the spot. The next morning, I put my name down first thing, ended up as #2 (haha... sorry) and the rest is history. It appears, in this hobby, if you even snooze for a second, you'll lose out on some great art. Crazy fanatics I tell you!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Carlo Pagulayan - Hulk 94.07.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	281.5 KB
ID:	64596  
Mean Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 04:27 PM   #5
joefixit2
Baron Zemo

I was one of the early people to get in touch with Lopresti about his PH pages and there was a big page I was negotiating to get so I passed on a couple really great splash pages (which he was initially selling at amazing prices). By the time I came back, they were already gone.

The big piece I was trying to get was the PH DPS that Ken owes. What I didn't know at the time was that the dealer had already agreed to sell it to Ken but he was working me to see if I would buy it for more.

So at the end of the day, I got not much of anything.
joefixit2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 04:31 PM   #6
galactus
Cosmic Art Collector
Adamantium Plus Member

The only page I ever REALLY wanted was the last page to Inifinty Gauntlet #6. It was owned by a guy named Craig Englund who wasn't so inclined to sell it (and he told me he had a standing offer of $4k on it as well, WAY above what I would spend at the time). Eventually, he decided to sell it but went with Ebay as the standing offer wasn't so standing after all and he wanted to get as much as the market would get. I lucked out and got it for MUCH less than $4k by a last minute snipe
galactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 04:35 PM   #7
Mean Green
Fantomah

Quote:
Originally Posted by galactus View Post
The only page I ever REALLY wanted was the last page to Inifinty Gauntlet #6. It was owned by a guy named Craig Englund who wasn't so inclined to sell it (and he told me he had a standing offer of $4k on it as well, WAY above what I would spend at the time). Eventually, he decided to sell it but went with Ebay as the standing offer wasn't so standing after all and he wanted to get as much as the market would get. I lucked out and got it for MUCH less than $4k by a last minute snipe
Well done Drew! Hey, how come you don't post the publised pages you own on CAF?
Mean Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 05:08 PM   #8
Argonus
Kindly Asked To Leave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Green View Post
I echo this sentiment

Most recently (this past Monday actually), I just lost out on this great page. I chat here and there with the gentleman who ended up picking it up and it seems like he was destined to get it. He had been checking Kirk's site for updates all day and nothing. For some reason, he couldn't fall asleep that night and woke up, checked the website, found that Kirk had added a whole slew of pages after midnight EST (he's on the west coast) and reserved the page on the spot. The next morning, I put my name down first thing, ended up as #2 (haha... sorry) and the rest is history. It appears, in this hobby, if you even snooze for a second, you'll lose out on some great art. Crazy fanatics I tell you!

That page looks.. familiar.

I think it's awesome that Planet Hulk pages are civilly fought over so much; just shows how great a storyline it was.
Old 06-29-2011, 05:41 PM   #9
Argonus
Kindly Asked To Leave

Aaron's the man.

That's somewhat... d!cked.. that the dealer would possibly leave Ken high and dry if you offered more for the dps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joefixit2 View Post
I was one of the early people to get in touch with Lopresti about his PH pages and there was a big page I was negotiating to get so I passed on a couple really great splash pages (which he was initially selling at amazing prices). By the time I came back, they were already gone.

The big piece I was trying to get was the PH DPS that Ken owes. What I didn't know at the time was that the dealer had already agreed to sell it to Ken but he was working me to see if I would buy it for more.

So at the end of the day, I got not much of anything.
Another page I passed on was the splash page of Hulk and Caiera facing down the Spikes (after Caiera injured Hulk's foot, and she was wielding her "spear" that Hulk snapped in half).

Man, I wanted that page.. but I passed on that one, and bought three other PH pages instead (for less), two of which are matted/framed/beloved by me.
I got a commission of "that page" from Lopresti later, though.. so all's well.

The third one has since been sold.
Old 06-29-2011, 05:48 PM   #10
risingstar
Jedi Order

There was an absolutely stunning Arthur Adams cover recreation of Marvel Feature #11 with the Hulk vs the Thing on the cover. I had it on my watch list too. I was prepared to spend big on it. Then, goodness knows why, I forget all about it. The auction closes and whammo, it disappears.
risingstar is offline   Reply With Quote