Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comic Book Art/Commissions/Sketches

Old 08-23-2011, 02:13 AM   #1
oceans11
Madness takes its toll. Please have exact change

Opinion time for what to get from Mignola

Ok, I've been pondering this for a few weeks and I figured I'd take a different approach with this one. We have a small, pretty cool local con that happens here about 4 times throughout the year. It usually pulls two or three cool artists to show up at it. People like James O'Barr, Darrick Robertson, Ron Lim, Steve Leialoha, and Dan Brereton have all shown up at this show. Nice thing is that it's small enough that I can usually get stuff done by the artists without dealing with the same type of cluster that big shows get. That being said, they've announced the September show here and featured guest is Mike Mignola. Now, I've heard mixed stories on Mignola, and my one experience with him was a couple years back at Wondercon where he wasn't sketching at the time I ran across him and he seemed a bit less than pleased to be there. I figure this show will be different as it's smaller in nature, so I was thinking of getting him to do a sketch in my Batman themed sketchbook.

As a note, in this sketchbook I've already got a Mark Badger Riddler, Thomas Yeates Zatanna, Cat Staggs Poison Ivy, James O'Barr Batgirl, Francis Manapul Batgirl, Rafael Navarro Catwoman-purple costume, and a Humberto Ramos Catwoman -black leather costume. I have no problems doubling up on characters as each artist has their own style and take on the character. Plus there's lot and lots of pages to fill up. Also I loosely associate Zatanna with the Batman universe, hence she's in the book. Figure it's my book, my rules; besides the Yeates Zatanna was amazing.

So.. the question I've pondered and come to people here for.. who in the Batman universe would Mignola's style be perfect for? Who could you see him just killing as a character sketch? I'm trying to stay away from Batman at the moment, and I've seen a bunch of Mignola Batman sketches out there. All other characters are open. The one that gets the most votes is the one that I'll go with and if this works out (i.e Mignola's a bit more agreable than last time I ran across him), I'll post the results here at the end of September. So suggest away....
oceans11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 02:18 AM   #2
MrYac
Hercules

i think he'd do a great Mr. Freeze
MrYac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 04:06 AM   #3
Statue and Bust
What happens if you get scared half to death twice?

Scarecrow
Statue and Bust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 05:20 AM   #4
Scottsdale Saint
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

A few years ago, Mignola appeared at the Phoenix con before the con moved to its current location, eschewing the smaller locale in Mesa, and Mignola was pretty much sketching any character you asked for. Just so you know, he tends to be a bit dodgy when it comes to sketching non-Hellboy characters, sometimes he will, sometimes he won't, just depends on his mood. Your chances are best, early in the first day, as he tends to sketch less and less as a con goes on.

Mr. Freeze would be a good choice, as the character design is pretty interesting, as is Scarecrow. GOOD LUCK!!!
Scottsdale Saint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 06:49 AM   #5
joefixit2
Baron Zemo

As mentioned above, my experience a few years back was that Mike was only sketching Hellboy characters so be prepared if you still want a sketch from him to have a HB character in mind.
joefixit2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 08:28 AM   #6
Titan1977
Borrow money from a pessimist, they don't expect it back.

I think he would do a great Huntress, or even the Robin from The Dark Knight Returns (Carrie, I think).
Just my thoughts. Good luck.
Titan1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 10:38 AM   #7
Demona
Martian Manhunter

I would think Ra's Al Ghul could be pretty sweet
Demona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 10:48 AM   #8
carlito1978
Hellfire Club

i'd go with a 'darker' character as it would suit his style best. a joker or scarecrow would go well. but of course there is always batman
carlito1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 12:07 PM   #9
Sam
Hydra

I was thinking that he would do a very good Two Face I think. I would go with either him or Mr. Freeze. Freeze would be somewhat similar to Abe Sapien from the Hellboy series imo.

My only experience with Mignola comes from HeroesCon, so I don't think any comparision would be appropriate. As others have said though, I would have a back-up character from the Hellboy stories if you really want a Mignola sketch, just in case.
Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 12:23 PM   #10
ratchet
Mandarin

Ooofff - Mignola - my experience was pretty much like everyone else's - except he actually DID a Hellboy sketch for the person right in front of me in line - and when I asked about getting a Hulk for my HULK THEMED SKETCH BOOK - he said "I'm not doing sketches today"

Even though he JUST DID ONE IN FRONT OF ME!

So, good luck - and I think Freeze would be impressive to see.
ratchet is offline   Reply With Quote