Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comic Book Art/Commissions/Sketches

Old 08-23-2011, 12:23 PM   #11
oceans11
Madness takes its toll. Please have exact change

I was planning on getting a Hellboy sketch also as I love his work on Hellboy. I'm hoping that he'll be doing other sketches also. It's a one day show that lasts from 10 to 5pm. It draws an ok crowd but nothing anywhere near the big shows. I'm thinking this will work in my favor.

Keep the ideas coming guys. I'm liking what's been presented. One of the characters I was leaning towards myself and there are a couple that I hadn't thought of that are really good ideas.

Also.. anybody have an idea of his usual con commission rates?
oceans11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 12:24 PM   #12
ratchet
Mandarin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam View Post
I was thinking that he would do a very good Two Face I think. I would go with either him or Mr. Freeze. Freeze would be somewhat similar to Abe Sapien from the Hellboy series imo.

My only experience with Mignola comes from HeroesCon, so I don't think any comparision would be appropriate. As others have said though, I would have a back-up character from the Hellboy stories if you really want a Mignola sketch, just in case.
Sam - didn't he do a tiny little Punisher skull in your sketch book?
ratchet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 12:26 PM   #13
ratchet
Mandarin

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceans11 View Post
I was planning on getting a Hellboy sketch also as I love his work on Hellboy. I'm hoping that he'll be doing other sketches also. It's a one day show that lasts from 10 to 5pm. It draws an ok crowd but nothing anywhere near the big shows. I'm thinking this will work in my favor.
I was at the Boston show he did a few years ago - on a sunday which does not really boast a big crowd at all - he still shot me down because I asked for a Non-Hellboy character.

My advice is to ask for the Hellboy character first - then see if you can get someone else done - otherwise you risk not getting anything at all...
Old 08-23-2011, 12:27 PM   #14
ratchet
Mandarin

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceans11 View Post
Also.. anybody have an idea of his usual con commission rates?
From what I saw he sketches a quick sketch - but does not charge...

Don't quote me on that though...
Old 08-23-2011, 12:52 PM   #15
oceans11
Madness takes its toll. Please have exact change

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratchet View Post
I was at the Boston show he did a few years ago - on a sunday which does not really boast a big crowd at all - he still shot me down because I asked for a Non-Hellboy character.

My advice is to ask for the Hellboy character first - then see if you can get someone else done - otherwise you risk not getting anything at all...
Good idea on requesting the Hellboy sketch first.

I was at Wondercon a couple of years ago and he was at his table in artist's alley with no one around. I asked if he was sketching and he said no. I also got a very heavy vibe off of him that he didn't want to talk about anything nor did he really want to be there. I've heard of similar experiences from others. Figure it couldn't hurt to try. Worst that will happen is that I won't get anything done and I'll report that back here.

Tone Rodriguez is going to be at the show also so I know it won't be a total bust.
oceans11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 01:00 PM   #16
joefixit2
Baron Zemo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratchet View Post

Good advice, this is probably your best bet to try and get a non-HB sketch out of him.
joefixit2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 02:56 PM   #17
statman
Baron Zemo

Mignola would probably do a cool Killer Croc.
statman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 03:05 PM   #18
Esseovegas
Doh!

I think it would be interesting to see his take on Bane.
Esseovegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 03:09 PM   #19
MrYac
Hercules

well is he really the type of guy that if you ask for a non HB he won't even do a HB for you if thats all he's doing?
MrYac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 03:44 PM   #20
Marvelito
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

I met Mignola at LBCC Expo last year. I actually just wanted him to sign my Hellboy library edition books. When I asked if he would sign them, he said "sure, how can I say no, after you bothered to lug them here." He signed them and did a quick HB doodle in them. He's quiet and kind of dry, which could be mistaken for being standoffish. I talked to him for a couple of minutes about the books and B.P.R.D. IMO it was a positive experience and I left with a good impression of him.

As for the sketches, I'd agree with Mr. Freeze, I'd also suggest Killer Croc, being Mignola does well with monsters. If you're going to get an HB sketch, personally I'd love a Johann Kraus sketch, who by the way reminds me a bit of Mr. Freeze.

What show is this, if you don't mind me asking?
Marvelito is offline   Reply With Quote