Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > General Statue & Collectible

Old 09-02-2009, 08:59 PM   #1
crazy_legs03
What's another word for Thesaurus?

Shops in Singapore and Malaysia - Where?

Gonna be in S'pore for 2 weeks, and I think I'm gonna have some time outside of work.
So where can I find a store that sells some goodies - statues and all.

And some shops in Malaysia?

--
Tried to look for an old thread that i read, but couldnt for the life of me find it.

Thanks
crazy_legs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 09:13 PM   #2
jollyskeleton
Kiss my shiny metal arse!

Crazy_legs, I can help out with Singapore. The largest and most established store locally here is Simply Toys. They currently have 3 outlets, and a fourth one coming up. You can visit their webbie and blog for more details.

http://www.simplytoys.com.sg/
http://simplytoys.blogspot.com/

There are a couple of smaller establishments around, but really depends on what sort of stuff you are looking for. Maybe you could elaborate more on your interests, and we can work from there.

Cheers
jollyskeleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 09:39 PM   #3
crazy_legs03
What's another word for Thesaurus?

Thanks for the info JK...
Looking for Sideshow / Bowen / Cinemaquette statues...

Hoping to find some good bargains, or am I in the wrong country for that? lol

Thanks
crazy_legs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 09:56 PM   #4
supahman
I don't have a solution but I admire the problem.

I've been in Singapore 6 mnths now.. nt explored too much.. Bargains are hard to find, but there is a great market every Sunday @ Chinatown Square. You can take a shot at some rare stuff.

but i've never seen good deals on statues, mostly just 1/6 scale and other action figs.. ( DCSH, DCUC, Neca, Mcfarlane etc. )

I just like da feelin' of so many like minded ppl bargainin'and talkin'my language.

I am not sure of the prices in Aussieland, so dunno abt the comparison. but the prices are basically, US price + shipping.
This shipping component is pretty random.

For eg, i picked the Superman vs. darkseid fr 275 SGD. which is arnd 190 US. this was around what i would have got if won a low auction on ebay and paid the shipping fr the big boxes.
supahman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 09:58 PM   #5
vpw
Borrow money from a pessimist, they don't expect it back.

Most comic shops also stock statues but mostly DC or Bowen, you can try GnB comics in bras basah complex, and while you're there you can visit xenomorph, they do custom works and also sells their own designed statues.
vpw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 09:58 PM   #6
jollyskeleton

you're welcome. Simply Toys is the official distributor for Sideshow here, so you can surely get what you want here. The prices are rather good especially with member pricing (details of which you can find out from the blog, or you can PM me). You can check out the rough pricing from their blogs. Depending on the popularity of the item you are looking for, it may or may not already be sold out. Just try your luck.

They also take orders and sell Cinemaquette as well as Bowen, so I guess it is a one-stop see all kinda thing. haha. I would recommend you go to their flagship branch at Raffles Xchange to see the bulk of their displays and talk directly to the lady boss if you need to clarify stuff... The other 2 locations are at Suntec City and at Plaza Singapura. Suntec City branch is probably more tourist friendly, but you won't see as much on display as at Raffles. The Plaza Singapura outlet is largely a display outlet, but for the larger items such as 1:1 GG Leia Monument, 1:1 Endoskeleton, etc... The cinemaquettes are usually displayed there too.

Good bargains might come your way if you look around. On the same floor where Simply Toys is located in the mall in Plaza Singapura, there are a couple of collectibles shops as well that have a kind of 'rent a space' scheme for collectors to sell of their stuff. I've seen statues being put up for sale before. So I guess just try your luck.
Old 09-02-2009, 10:02 PM   #7
jollyskeleton

Quote:
Originally Posted by vpw View Post
Most comic shops also stock statues but mostly DC or Bowen, you can try GnB comics in bras basah complex, and while you're there you can visit xenomorph, they do custom works and also sells their own designed statues.
said xenomorph has a bad name here on SF. Apparently the word is that they do recasting, and frankly i've seen for myself when i passed by their shop...

As for GnB, yes they stock all the comics stuff, but pricing wise, could be a little more steep than simply toys. Point to note. They are No Longer in Bras Basah complex. They have moved to Rochor Centre.

China Sq Central is usually for the other kinds of collectibles, and the flea market typically caters to collectors of action figures and such. There are a few shops there that again stock some statues, and such for resale etc, but again, for price competitiveness, its best to look around and ask about.
Old 09-03-2009, 12:09 AM   #8
vpw
Borrow money from a pessimist, they don't expect it back.

wow...goes to show I haven't been paying a visit to GnB lately. My nxt trip to Singapore is in 2 weeks time

If I'm not mistaken I think Xeno is no longer doing the "bad things" now they're sticking to their custom paint / kits etc. I had my Bowen modern IM repainted there but I've yet to pick it up. So this trip it is.
vpw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 03:12 AM   #9
supahman
I don't have a solution but I admire the problem.

I had gone there with a friend and we actually tried to get him to show us re-cast stuff, but they vehemently denied having it, and said we don't do these things ( anymore i guess ).

after checkin him out a couple of times, i'm getting one kit painted. lessee..
supahman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 06:06 AM   #10
jollyskeleton

well supahman, its pretty obvious that they have recast stuff. some of their kits in the display case that they have are unpainted and one look at it and i recognise them from elsewhere (read, not their original work, and recasted from works of other sculptors) . And i happen to know a sculptor who was contacted by them to do a modification to their previous recasts