Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 03-05-2017, 08:52 PM   #1541
SashaMitchell
A closed mouth gathers no foot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougrcrumby View Post
You really think the SS version has a better McFarland head than xm's. I have to strongly disagree. I do agree SS has the best spidey on the market.
Head sculpts and portraits have always been XM's weakest link. If you look at the head sculpt on their Venom, it is much too narrow, like he's trying to squeeze his head through prison bars. There's just something off about it.

I think SS's Mcfarlane head is the truest representation on the market.
SashaMitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 09:23 PM   #1542
Shanesg
Green Lantern Corps

I've always been pretty critical of their headsculpts, but I'd be the first to admit they're getting much better recently. The vulture and the new Catwoman are two that come to mind.
Shanesg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 09:48 PM   #1543
Igo
Producer
Producer

Just for clarity, the exclusive head isnt supposed to be a straight-up McFarlane head, it's a bit of an amalgam inspired by McFarlane and Bagley. I loved both of those guys' take on Venom so much, so we blurred the line and obviously put some of our own into it as well. I also think it's by far the best "Classic" Venom portrait ever because I sculpted on it with Nathan and Martin... so OBVIOUSLY it's the best, ever, period…
Igo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 10:38 PM   #1544
Comicbookguy
Hercules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanesg View Post
I've always been pretty critical of their headsculpts, but I'd be the first to admit they're getting much better recently. The vulture and the new Catwoman are two that come to mind.
I agree I've been most harsh on the female head sculpts lately. But I see the improvements coming in the newest previews.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igo View Post
Just for clarity, the exclusive head isnt supposed to be a straight-up McFarlane head, it's a bit of an amalgam inspired by McFarlane and Bagley. I loved both of those guys' take on Venom so much, so we blurred the line and obviously put some of our own into it as well. I also think it's by far the best "Classic" Venom portrait ever because I sculpted on it with Nathan and Martin... so OBVIOUSLY it's the best, ever, period…
Thanks this clears things up. It's a good sculpt regardless in its own way, but funny how some said it's the best representation of the McFarlane head out of all 3 when it's not even based 100% on McFarlane art. All 3 have flaws but at least we all have choices. It's just got to the point of saturation now. If this was a few years back any one of these venom would be the best choice and many would be so happy. I remembered at the time I wanted the com venom even though I was not a fan of the texture and now how times have changed with choices lol.
Comicbookguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 12:52 AM   #1545
SONICobra
Batman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comicbookguy View Post
funny how some said it's the best representation of the McFarlane head out of all 3 when it's not even based 100% on McFarlane art.
THATS how good it is
SONICobra is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 05:25 AM   #1546
Killer Instinct
Death is hereditary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spidey976 View Post

How do you know it is losing??? Just the response in here or in general on FB and the like?? I ask because as stated before I see mostly a fixed reaction to all of these, and not negatively for the most part. Most seem to think they all look good, and while some love XM or Prime 1 many seem to love this one too. So at $250 cheaper than Prime 1 and god knows how much cheaper then XM I can see a lot of people choosing this one and loving it.
From what I read on the forum and see from other collectors the XM Venom was a Con Exclusive and near impossible to find for a decent price unless you have a friend or relative in Singapore. The Prime 1 Venom has gotten alot of people to love it, just going off reading both this thread and the Prime 1 Venom thread.

Sadly all I hear from the SS Venom is the toe thingy or the Beast pose like a monkey. I actually like all three and thing they all have pro's and con's.

Plus SS is fighting a up hill battle against the Comiquette, it's the most beloved Venom since we only have it or Bowens to choose from ATM.

Don't think this is a fact its merely my opinion. And art is Subjective so it's all about the beautiful in the eye of the beholder.
Killer Instinct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 06:55 AM   #1547
Shanesg
Green Lantern Corps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igo View Post
I'd agree with you that it's probably the best classic sculpt we currently have and I'm glad someone has officially given Bagley some credit. Every time I see a "classic" sculpt everyone immediately screams "macfarlane", but I always see Bagley in those sculpts. When I picture the classic Venom, it's always Bagley's version.
Shanesg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 09:29 AM   #1548
Mr. Nice Guy
New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by adee View Post
I find it interesting how split we seem to be on this. Usually there seems to be a fairly unified stance one way or another. I think that's a credit to all three statues.
That's why its a good time to be a Venom fan; there is something for everyone.

This launch shows how there's really no such thing as a "right" opinion. Unless, of course, you're dealing with a complete disaster.
Mr. Nice Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 01:18 PM   #1549
NEMISIS PRIME
Brotherhood of Evil Mutants

Location: Y'all crazy as hell paying 5k for doom on throne!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Nice Guy View Post
That's why its a good time to be a Venom fan; there is something for everyone.

This launch shows how there's really no such thing as a "right" opinion. Unless, of course, you're dealing with a complete disaster.
I know right!!!when xm first came out I was going to try and buy two cause I really love the Eddie Brock transformation portrait, I just hate buying the same statue same pose but now I can buy sideshow and p1 and display three different poses three different portraits good time to love venom icing on top a little anti venom
NEMISIS PRIME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 02:48 PM   #1550
boibleu22
Brotherhood of Evil Mutants

Everyone!

Just ignore forps.

Carry on.
boibleu22 is offline   Reply With Quote