Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 07-13-2017, 02:53 PM   #111
Igo
Producer
Producer

So... $3,000 for Swamp-Thing? Ok, noted.
Igo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 02:54 PM   #112
ComicJesus
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by COI View Post
Sideshow is a bigger company; Sideshow has more licenses; Sideshow has more employees, and they have to pay those employees more; Sideshow needs more warehouse space; Sideshow pays top dollar for top talent, which likely means getting prototypes done costs way more; Sideshow is half a world away from the factories they hire, which is gonna entail certain logistical costs.

There are a myriad of costs associated with Sideshow's business that most collectors don't even think about, and judging by the way many of them talk, it seems like few of them have any experience running a business. The analysis used - looking at the size of the piece and how intricate they THINK it looks, and comparing that to another piece - is overly simplistic, and probably pretty inaccurate too.

I get it, prices suck. It may in fact be the case that Sideshow is charging way more than they need to, but we simply don't know. When someone talks about what these things should cost with absolute certainty, I know their argument is invalid because they can't possibly know unless they have a breakdown in front of them directly from Sideshow. Which they don't.

Collectors are well within their rights to decide for themselves whether the products Sideshow has on offer are worth the asking prices, but all this baseless, overly simplistic speculation of Sideshow and how they run their business is totally biased and incoherent, and it drags every discussion and every thread in this section down into the dirt.

Speak with your wallet. /thread
On that note too, I'm fairly certain that Sideshow is not a publicly traded company, so we may never know what their costs are. Maybe if we complain enough, they will show us a breakdown. I'm sure though they are making a healthy amount of money and that would only piss people off more lol.

There was one done on Nike a few years back. They are making $170 profit on a $200 pair of shoes, probably even more now.
ComicJesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 02:55 PM   #113
Josh-a-tron
"Revenge is a Dish Best Served Cold"
Sculptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by COI View Post
Sideshow is a bigger company; Sideshow has more licenses; Sideshow has more employees, and they have to pay those employees more; Sideshow needs more warehouse space; Sideshow pays top dollar for top talent, which likely means getting prototypes done costs way more; Sideshow is half a world away from the factories they hire, which is gonna entail certain logistical costs.

There are a myriad of costs associated with Sideshow's business that most collectors don't even think about, and judging by the way many of them talk, it seems like few of them have any experience running a business. The analysis used - looking at the size of the piece and how intricate they THINK it looks, and comparing that to another piece - is overly simplistic, and probably pretty inaccurate too.

I get it, prices suck. It may in fact be the case that Sideshow is charging way more than they need to, but we simply don't know. When someone talks about what these things should cost with absolute certainty, I know their argument is invalid because they can't possibly know unless they have a breakdown in front of them directly from Sideshow. Which they don't.

Collectors are well within their rights to decide for themselves whether the products Sideshow has on offer are worth the asking prices, but all this baseless, overly simplistic speculation of Sideshow and how they run their business is totally biased and incoherent, and it drags every discussion and every thread in this section down into the dirt.

Speak with your wallet. /thread
You know, when you go on a tirade I tend to like it. Logical, no bolded or underlined words...it's insightful and most importantly coherent.
Josh-a-tron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 02:56 PM   #114
Josh-a-tron
Sculptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igo View Post
You bastard, don't make me come steal your Chipotle
Old 07-13-2017, 02:57 PM   #115
COI

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolverineFan View Post
Here is an example doom on throne to thanos on throne. Care to tell me the price difference of retail. I don't think you will want to say that number Josh. Here I will say it, both 1/4 and doom was $300 and thanos is now $1200. Game over
11 years and a COMPLETELY different market doesn't explain for you? You really think licensing costs (pre-MCU explosion), cost of living increases, cost of manufacturing increases, cost of raw material and transportation increases, in addition to the probably 10-fold increase in demand for this very particular type of manufacturing that only a few factories can do, don't explain the difference in the cost of two completely different pieces, made a completely different way? C'mon, man.
COI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 02:57 PM   #116
Josh-a-tron
Sculptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComicJesus View Post
On that note too, I'm fairly certain that Sideshow is not a publicly traded company, so we may never know what their costs are. Maybe if we complain enough, they will show us a breakdown. I'm sure though they are making a healthy amount of money and that would only piss people off more lol.

There was one done on Nike a few years back. They are making $170 profit on a $200 pair of shoes, probably even more now.
They aren't, I tried to buy stock
Old 07-13-2017, 02:58 PM   #117
MrJones
The Stones, I love the Stones. I watch them whenever I can. Fred, Barney...

I've said it in another thread, probably the Thanos on Throne, I think everything has been said by everyone there. But once again, you can't compare a statue today with any statue from before. It's not a fair comparison because there are too many factors that go into pricing. Pricing doesn't work on "This statue is 21" and weighs 25lbs therefore $599. This statue is 23" and weighs 30lbs therefore $699". So these comparisons are not valid.

I'm not excusing or defending SS pricing. All I'm saying is I don't know why there is a price increase. And neither do any of you. Unless you work directly for a company, you don't know. There are SO many factors that your oversimplifications are pretty embarrassing.
MrJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 02:58 PM   #118
loricstone
Kang

Location: Don't come at me stupid or I'll Sammamish your candy ass!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igo View Post
And some of those proceeds will go towards my perfume business. I can whip up some terrible scents to go along with that CotD line....

Hmmm...interesting.....
loricstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 03:00 PM   #119
Josh-a-tron
Sculptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJones View Post
I've said it in another thread, probably the Thanos on Throne, I think everything has been said by everyone there. But once again, you can't compare a statue today with any statue from before. It's not a fair comparison because there are too many factors that go into pricing. Pricing doesn't work on "This statue is 21" and weighs 25lbs therefore $599. This statue is 23" and weighs 30lbs therefore $699". So these comparisons are not valid.

I'm not excusing or defending SS pricing. All I'm saying is I don't know why there is a price increase. And neither do any of you. Unless you work directly for a company, you don't know. There are SO many factors that your oversimplifications are pretty embarrassing.
I've talked to people at Sideshow, some of them don't even know all the logistics behind pricing because even if you work for them, depending on your department, you won't have that information.
Old 07-13-2017, 03:00 PM   #120
Josh-a-tron
Sculptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by loricstone View Post
And some of those proceeds will go towards my perfume business. I can whip up some terrible scents to go along with that CotD line....

Hmmm...interesting.....
Corpse...perfume....you might be on to something