Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 07-19-2018, 04:18 PM   #511
NorthernLadMSP
Jedi Order

Yeah, this whole PF/maquette bull---- is starting to get on my nerves. X-23, Deadpool and Lady Deadpool look just as dynamic and complicated as Magneto and Rogue. I can almost guarantee you these are labeled maquette simply because they are more sought after characters (along with Juggernaut) and calling it this gives them some weird justification to charge more money.
NorthernLadMSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 04:20 PM   #512
SONICobra
Batman

Quote:
Originally Posted by COI View Post
Yeah, maquettes were movie pieces, comiquettes were fully sculpted pieces, and PFs were 1/4 scale pieces with mixed media.
the good ol' days
SONICobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 04:22 PM   #513
Shaughn54
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

Quote:
Clearly, X-23, Wolverine, Magneto and Rogue were all made to go together, so why are two of them maquettes and two of them PFs? Why create this confusion for new customers at all? Just tell us the scale and price them however you want.
Exactly

When I first got into statue collecting all the names and scales were super confusing. Glad i never bought the psylocke commiquete, just to find out it didnt fit the size of everything else in my collection at that point. Had to read the height of everything on sideshows website to figure out what was supposed to be in scale together. To this day i still dont think they use scales on their website.
Shaughn54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 04:25 PM   #514
COI

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernLadMSP View Post
Yeah, this whole PF/maquette bull---- is starting to get on my nerves. X-23, Deadpool and Lady Deadpool look just as dynamic and complicated as Magneto and Rogue. I can almost guarantee you these are labeled maquette simply because they are more sought after characters (along with Juggernaut) and calling it this gives them some weird justification to charge more money.
But even that doesn't work because Deadpool and Wolverine are about as popular as these characters can get. The irony is, they wouldn't even need to justify any specific pricing if they just labelled them by scale, because the pricing expectations only exist because of these labels.

I always try to give SS the benefit of the doubt because they're smart peeps, but no amount of tortured logic can explain their product labeling.
COI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 04:28 PM   #515
NorthernLadMSP
Jedi Order

Quote:
But even that doesn't work because Deadpool and Wolverine are about as popular as these characters can get. The irony is, they wouldn't even need to justify any specific pricing if they just labelled them by scale, because the pricing expectations only exist because of these labels.

I always try to give SS the benefit of the doubt because they're smart peeps, but no amount of tortured logic can explain their product labeling.
True, but when I say more sought after I don't really mean popularity so much as a desire for the characters with a lack of product on the market.

For example, there isn't a single licensed 1/4 scale Juggernaut at all. Rogue, there was only the first PF which was a QC disaster of epic proportions, and for Magneto, all we had was a $3,000 XM on throne.

IDK anymore. I just will never forget SDCC last year where Magneto was revealed as a PF, everyone almost unanimously hated the design and months later his redesign was brought back with a maquette label and a price increase (over Wolverine) of almost $200.

Last edited by NorthernLadMSP; 07-19-2018 at 04:35 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 07-19-2018, 04:35 PM   #516
COI

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernLadMSP View Post
True, but when I say more sought after I don't really mean popularity so much as a desire for the characters for lack of product on the market.

For example, there isn't a single licensed 1/4 scale Juggernaut at all. Rogue, there was only the first PF which was a QC disaster of epic propportions, and for Magneto, all we had was a $3,000 XM on throne.
I hear you.

I agree with your general point, that the maquette label is slapped on in anticipation of a higher price point. Maybe they think it's more palatable/marketable that way, and they're probably right because of how their customers think. But how their customers think is partially because SS conditioned them through these labels in the first place.

For experienced collectors, it really doesn't matter because the price will be what it will be, and we can each decide. But I can't imagine what it's like for newcomers trying to understand Sideshow's past and present catalog. The only reason I know exactly what pieces are labelled and what their scale is, is because I was along for the entire ride.
Old 07-19-2018, 04:37 PM   #517
Shaughn54
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

SO since Sideshow is pulling off some really cool design concepts (rogue , X-23 suspended in air, magneto floating) Do you think they will start giving most flying characters this type of treatment? If they continue this line, do we get an amazingly designed storm suspended in air. If they touch archangel will he be flying too?
Shaughn54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 04:37 PM   #518
NorthernLadMSP
Jedi Order

Quote:
I hear you.

I agree with your general point, that the maquette label is slapped on in anticipation of a higher price point. Maybe they think it's more palatable/marketable that way, and they're probably right because of how their customers think. But how their customers think is partially because SS conditioned them through these labels in the first place.

For experienced collectors, it really doesn't matter because the price will be what it will be, and we can each decide. But I can't imagine what it's like for newcomers trying to understand Sideshow's past and present catalog. The only reason I know exactly what pieces are labelled and what their scale is, is because I was along for the entire ride.
Oh absolutely agree! You should see the comments on Facebook where people are stumped because they have no clue what maquette means and don't know what scale Rogue is, or they don't understand why Mystique is fully sculpted when she's called a Premium Format (because they think all PFs automatically have fabric).
Old 07-19-2018, 04:38 PM   #519
Rycher
Birdman

Quote:
The irony is, they wouldn't even need to justify any specific pricing if they just labelled them by scale, because the pricing expectations only exist because of these labels.
And the labels give rise to pricing expectations because it is still not abundantly clear what separates a PF from any other quarter scale statue. So if you told me they were releasing a PF of a mystery character, the only thing I would be able to predict about it with any degree of certainty is the price range. Although Bane was $700 so I am at a loss.
Rycher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 05:21 PM   #520
COI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rycher View Post
And the labels give rise to pricing expectations because it is still not abundantly clear what separates a PF from any other quarter scale statue. So if you told me they were releasing a PF of a mystery character, the only thing I would be able to predict about it with any degree of certainty is the price range. Although Bane was $700 so I am at a loss.
Right. Because nothing separates a PF from any 1/4 statue. The first fully-sculpted PFs, from memory, were Spider-Woman, Deadpool v1, Poison Ivy and Green Lantern v1, which all came out in 2013. Prior to 2013, all PFs had some mixed media.

If it helps newer people, the only consistent thing across Sideshow's catalog is that PF = 1/4. But 1/4 does not = PF. Nothing else is consistent. LSF can be 1/2 or 1/3, maquettes are movie and comic, Pfs are movie and comic, comiquettes were only comic but don't exist anymore, and it's great that Legendary Scale and Life-Size have the same initials, so LSB or LSF can mean Life-sized figure/bust or Legendary-scale figure/bust. Because reasons.

PF = 1/4 is the only anchor to sanity. And I'm so glad that I have SS's entire catalog burned into my brain because I can barely remember my girlfriend's birthday. I totally haven't wasted my life.