Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Kotobukiya

Old 03-19-2020, 05:19 PM   #31
Comicbookguy
Hercules

Quote:
Originally Posted by built2shred View Post
They're talking about the prices of new Bishoujos...

Re-Issues devalue the price of older bishoujos that have been out of stock for years, some people have paid the higher aftermarket prices on these older bishoujos not realizing that Koto was reissuing them, so now a older bishoujo they spent $200 on is only worth $80
Well said! I paid triple on many of them when koto said they won't reissue any of them. Now I see the reissues devalue all my koto's I paid so much to buy to complete my collection. Please all the ko is destroying this line the longer they dish out every new release for 15.00.
Comicbookguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 05:23 PM   #32
Comicbookguy
Hercules

Quote:
Originally Posted by llama View Post
I get it but if they keep doing re-releases then hopefully people will stop paying ridiculous prices in the first place. I think people feel bad that they paid too much for something and they want to feel justified when other people have to overpay as well ...or they are trying to make money by trying to overcharge other collectors. Why should Kotobukiya or any other company care about after-market prices? They should keep supplying the demand for their merchandise.

I find it really petty to want to take the opportunity to get a desired statue away from other collectors just because people can't live with their financial decision. If people want to invest in something buy a CD and let statues get into the hands of those who actually like them.
Eventually with rising cost and wiping out aftermarkets prices will come back to haunt them in time. It always does. Less people will buy with more products out there. The ko off is taking a very good amount of their business by the amount sold online. When I was collecting I emailed koto a few times they just can't do anything about it. This will be interesting to see how they do as time goes on with rising prices and less buyers.
Old 03-19-2020, 05:26 PM   #33
gonk
Kotobukiya Rep
Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comicbookguy View Post
Well said! I paid triple on many of them when koto said they won't reissue any of them. Now I see the reissues devalue all my koto's I paid so much to buy to complete my collection. Please all the ko is destroying this line the longer they dish out every new release for 15.00.
Out of curiosity which Bishoujo releases did Kotobukiya say would not be reissued? To my knowledge the only ones I confirmed was the first Catwoman release, all convention exclusives and the 1/8 scale Marvel releases.
Old 03-19-2020, 06:35 PM   #34
Canadaguy705
Sailor Moon

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonk View Post
Out of curiosity which Bishoujo releases did Kotobukiya say would not be reissued? To my knowledge the only ones I confirmed was the first Catwoman release, all convention exclusives and the 1/8 scale Marvel releases.
I know it's silly, but I think some people assume that when you're unable to order something that's out of stock or sold out, that's it.

I mean, It would be super easy to write on the koto website, store, and on the product packaging that,

"This product may be re-issued on a future date."
Canadaguy705 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 07:01 PM   #35
dechirico7
The Flash

I don't have any issues with Kotobukiya. It is with DC. DC loves to re-release their collectibles like crazy. Look at all their lines, they are all jammed with rereleases. I stopped buying the DC line, but I replaced it with horror any Pony releases.

You really can't have the "limited edition" mindset anymore.
dechirico7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 07:33 PM   #36
qz33
Doctor Doom

If Koto makes bunches at 1st they will sit with retailers because they will always be around. When demand rises enough to create a market again after sell out Koto does re-issues.

Trust me for every longtime collector lost there are a handful of new ones thrilled to purchase a sold out Bishoujo.
qz33 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 09:15 PM   #37
llama
The Spirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comicbookguy View Post
Eventually with rising cost and wiping out aftermarkets prices will come back to haunt them in time. It always does. Less people will buy with more products out there. The ko off is taking a very good amount of their business by the amount sold online. When I was collecting I emailed koto a few times they just can't do anything about it. This will be interesting to see how they do as time goes on with rising prices and less buyers.
Why would Koto care about after market prices? They don't make money from people who resell their statues. Creating the correct amount of products to meet the demand and reach new customers is the key to making money not inflating after market prices for the few people who want to try to game the statue market.

In fact, let me add that my wife and I recently started collecting the Kotobukiya Pokemon line specifically because of re-issues. We became interested in them but were initially put off by after market prices in the hundreds of dollars for statues that were originally in the $80 range. We didn't even want to buy the currently available ones because we thought we would never complete key parts of the collection. After a little bit of research, I found that Koto was doing frequent re-issues on these and therefore we could get the chance to buy items we missed out on. Now we have an almost full collection and hopefully can complete the last couple of items when re-issues come. I'm sure there are many like me (I hope most people) who refuse to pay over-inflated prices. Re-issues enable more people to get into the hobby which is good for growing more business.
llama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 11:09 PM   #38
built2shred
Phoenix

To be fair Koto doesn't have edition sizes on their normal Bishoujos so technically they can re-release all they want...

Now if they had edition sizes like their convention exclusives then it would be a different story... That said, those who love owning semi-rare statues won't be happy but those collectors who didn't get one the first time around are usually happy unless they just bought it online for 3x the MSRP because they didn't know Koto was going to re-release it..

In the long run it could hurt Koto rep. as not really being a company that deals with collectibles but more like a company that deals with mas producing memorabilia/toys..

Just my opinion....
built2shred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 11:54 PM   #39
Comicbookguy
Hercules

It's great that everyone who waited on the first ones gets to buy them at retail. Just not so good for those who bought the sold out, gone on the early ones. Some were gone for years. So many paid 3-4 times the price to get them. But that's just too bad for those who paid more going by what the company is aiming for, since koto can careless about collectibility and only about the money. It's just the way it is so no amount of complaining will change anything. I get its all about making money. More power to them. Good luck to new collectors who will pay more to fill the drop outs. Imo I still think by releasing all of these over and over will eliminate a decent amount of collectors, yes they can say screw those who wants collectibles to worth something. Also the rising cost will hit some new collectors in due time at the rate these are coming out. They have no control over cost. Yes we know that already as said by all companies. Then go to eBay and look at the improving ko bishoujo's. They now have boxes included. They are being sold by usa and oversea sellers for 15.00-20.00. I reported and called ebay . Then emailed koto 2-3 times with a robot email reply not saying what they can do. So that means they cant do anything. The new collectors should just wait for these to come online aftermarket new sealed in box to get a decent discount and maybe free shipping. I know I would if I started collecting now. Just my opinion.
Old 03-20-2020, 03:32 AM   #40
AlexLothos
What's another word for Thesaurus?

Quote:
I get it but if they keep doing re-releases then hopefully people will stop paying ridiculous prices in the first place. I think people feel bad that they paid too much for something and they want to feel justified when other people have to overpay as well ...or they are trying to make money by trying to overcharge other collectors. Why should Kotobukiya or any other company care about after-market prices? They should keep supplying the demand for their merchandise.

I find it really petty to want to take the opportunity to get a desired statue away from other collectors just because people can't live with their financial decision. If people want to invest in something buy a CD and let statues get into the hands of those who actually like them.
Quote:
Why would Koto care about after market prices? They don't make money from people who resell their statues. Creating the correct amount of products to meet the demand and reach new customers is the key to making money not inflating after market prices for the few people who want to try to game the statue market.

In fact, let me add that my wife and I recently started collecting the Kotobukiya Pokemon line specifically because of re-issues. We became interested in them but were initially put off by after market prices in the hundreds of dollars for statues that were originally in the $80 range. We didn't even want to buy the currently available ones because we thought we would never complete key parts of the collection. After a little bit of research, I found that Koto was doing frequent re-issues on these and therefore we could get the chance to buy items we missed out on. Now we have an almost full collection and hopefully can complete the last couple of items when re-issues come. I'm sure there are many like me (I hope most people) who refuse to pay over-inflated prices. Re-issues enable more people to get into the hobby which is good for growing more business.
AlexLothos is offline   Reply With Quote