Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comics

Old 09-17-2017, 04:38 PM   #1
Mister H
Gen 13

A short statement to Marvel Comics

Dear Marvel Comics,

So you have decided to give the world back its one true Captain America: Steve Rogers. You have even put him in the classic costume and gave writing duties to Mark Waid. This comes as a package deal, it seems, with other classic characters as a part of the Marvel Legacy run. This move was foreseen by many long time comic fans. We knew the "All New, All Different" run would eventually crash and burn. When we told you that it wasn't necessary to make Cap a black man, that you could could just make Falcon the leader of the Avengers because he was established and well loved, you called us racists. When we told you that Thor is, well....Thor, and it is a birth name and not a "title"' you called us mysogynists. When we said you could use the plethora of already established minority characters that you had available, characters that are loved and have been given time to develop, to start your social justice campaign, you looked down your noses at us. Now you offer these characters back to us in hopes of saving your plummeting sales numbers, even after you made a point of alienating us. Now you want us back. Well.....

£#[€ you Marvel.

Fire people, offer apologies and admit you made your pathetic attempts at diversity for monetary reasons only and I will "think" about coming back, but not until then.
Mister H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 07:56 PM   #2
Meta Jon
Daredevil

Yeah, what he said.
And start treating the X-Men like the fans deserve
Meta Jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 08:20 PM   #3
risingstar
Jedi Order

The Mutant Massacre and the Fall of the Mutants was the beginning of the end for the X-Men. After that, Marvel comics pretty much became enslaved to mutant-related storylines taking place every summer.
risingstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 08:48 AM   #4
protector2814
Phoenix

Damn, Mr. H, you have balls, I'll give you that, & I even agree with you on several of your points. However I disagree w/ you on your point of Marvel going out on a "social justice campaign. What I feel that they were more trying to do was just trying to be more inclusive & reflective of today's America which is a good thing. Like you, I felt that many of the moves felt forced, & like you, I chose, in many cases, not to participate. However, they had to try. Buried beneath the obvious, Marvel has been doing a few things right. We had Tom King's The Vision. We had a decent X-Men/Inhumans crossover. The Punisher & DD flew below that radar. Black Widow & The Kingpin were given fun minis. I could go on. The school that Peter Parker went to in the new Spiderman movie this past summer, I feel, did things right & I hope that Marvel Publishing took note; a slow rollout of believable, modern & relevant swap outs, additions & replacements that will, in time, lead to more diversification in the established U. Like you, I feel this is how Marvel should have handled things with their comics. You are also right in the pointing out that there are already many non-white characters in the MU that have been there for years & that Marvel could also take the time to nurture & build on their shoulders. Diversity needs to happen. Marvel just needs to figure out how to do it w/o the culling of the established. I believe that the characters are just on loan to the writers & never actually theirs'. A writer just builds on top of the stories that all the writers before have created. To "burn down the house" is shortsighted & extremely insensitive to all that have written & drawn before. That's what hit me. I hope some progress can be made & am sure it will. You came up with some great points on how to do it but Marvel didn't loose me, that just got a lot less of my dough.
protector2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 10:57 AM   #5
Mister H
Gen 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by protector2814 View Post
Damn, Mr. H, you have balls, I'll give you that, & I even agree with you on several of your points. However I disagree w/ you on your point of Marvel going out on a "social justice campaign. What I feel that they were more trying to do was just trying to be more inclusive & reflective of today's America which is a good thing. Like you, I felt that many of the moves felt forced, & like you, I chose, in many cases, not to participate. However, they had to try. Buried beneath the obvious, Marvel has been doing a few things right. We had Tom King's The Vision. We had a decent X-Men/Inhumans crossover. The Punisher & DD flew below that radar. Black Widow & The Kingpin were given fun minis. I could go on. The school that Peter Parker went to in the new Spiderman movie this past summer, I feel, did things right & I hope that Marvel Publishing took note; a slow rollout of believable, modern & relevant swap outs, additions & replacements that will, in time, lead to more diversification in the established U. Like you, I feel this is how Marvel should have handled things with their comics. You are also right in the pointing out that there are already many non-white characters in the MU that have been there for years & that Marvel could also take the time to nurture & build on their shoulders. Diversity needs to happen. Marvel just needs to figure out how to do it w/o the culling of the established. I believe that the characters are just on loan to the writers & never actually theirs'. A writer just builds on top of the stories that all the writers before have created. To "burn down the house" is shortsighted & extremely insensitive to all that have written & drawn before. That's what hit me. I hope some progress can be made & am sure it will. You came up with some great points on how to do it but Marvel didn't loose me, that just got a lot less of my dough.
Yeah, I believe that Marvel "was" doing things right and had the right intentions, but I think it's been at least a decade since that's been the case. I also think you're right that there have been some hidden gems in the comics, it's just that Marvel has slammed the door in so many faces that folks feel sort of betrayed. Not just white folks either. I don't think that in order to give to some folks, that it's necessary to take something from others. Nothing is accomplished that way. I do hope that Marvel gets it together and lures some of the greats back like Ed Brubaker and Mitch Breitweiser, because I would love to add more to my collection. I just think it's going to be a while before I feel comfortable with them again. But I'm with you brother, I'm just more cynical it seems.
Old 09-18-2017, 11:02 AM   #6
Leon
WHITE & NERDY

Like Mister H said, we knew from the start it would eventually go back to the way it was.

But it gave us a few nice stories, I personally wouldn't mind if the Old Man Logan, Infamous Iron Man and Jane Foster Thor series continued.
Leon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 01:37 PM   #7
The Dark Knight
Jubilee

I like the new Miss Marvel. Other than that i haven't followed anything... But then again as a trade waiter, i haven't got many DC and Marvel lately. I still don't have anything DC Rebirth (i will get the Batman deluxe soon though) and when it comes to Marvel, i only got Miss Marvel Omnibus. (and waiting for Old Man Logan Omnibus)

EDIT-----

OMG i'm so stupid, i got DC Universe Rebirth Deluxe HC edition months ago.
The Dark Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 01:51 PM   #8
Mister H
Gen 13

Anyone remember this?

Kind of what Marvel Comics reminds me of today.
Old 09-18-2017, 02:06 PM   #9
Babytoxie
Ghost

Babytoxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 05:37 PM   #10
MrJones
The Stones, I love the Stones. I watch them whenever I can. Fred, Barney...

MrJones is offline   Reply With Quote