Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 07-30-2015, 03:22 PM   #121
The Mule
Kindly Asked To Leave

I don't think it comes down to "greed", honestly. Not with the usual negative moral implications, at least.
It's a business choice and I understand that they do it because out there there are people buying at those prices, so we can't really say they're "wrong", when doing it.
It's just that it all sounds very incoherent, for example, while we lack a ton of datas, we can say for sure that the Spider Man PF is a much more complex sculpt with a more complex engineering and paint app than this Jason - yet they both come at the same price point.
That's what
The Mule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 03:33 PM   #122
SolidLiquidFox
Savage Dragon

I agree Mule
SolidLiquidFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 05:13 PM   #123
COI

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mule View Post
I don't think it comes down to "greed", honestly. Not with the usual negative moral implications, at least.
It's a business choice and I understand that they do it because out there there are people buying at those prices, so we can't really say they're "wrong", when doing it.
It's just that it all sounds very incoherent, for example, while we lack a ton of datas, we can say for sure that the Spider Man PF is a much more complex sculpt with a more complex engineering and paint app than this Jason - yet they both come at the same price point.
That's what
Spider-Man may be more complex, but they're also making way more, which may offset the additional costs of making the sculpt. You're assuming Jason was marked up, but maybe it's the case that Spider-Man was marked down. This is why the missing data is important because we don't know which is the case. People will assume the mark-up because of consumer skepticism.
COI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 05:29 PM   #124
Gyro Zeppeli
The Masters of Evil

There is nothing special about this piece. In what world does a nearly $500 retail price make any sense? It's just some dude in regular clothing standing on a giant tin can while holding a knife. He's not massive and if he is it's because of the base. His sculpt isn't particularly complex at all this would be an easy commission to do.
Gyro Zeppeli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 05:33 PM   #125
Pilky
Brotherhood of Evil Mutants

The price won't stop rising until they see people stop buying. Until then they'll keep pushing it. I don't blame them, as they are a business. I blame the customers because we're the ones allowing this to continue. The majority seems unable to control themselves or their buying habits.
Pilky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 05:36 PM   #126
Thor57
Teen Titans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gyro Zeppeli View Post
There is nothing special about this piece. In what world does a nearly $500 retail price make any sense? It's just some dude in regular clothing standing on a giant tin can while holding a knife. He's not massive and if he is it's because of the base. His sculpt isn't particularly complex at all this would be an easy commission to do.
I challenge you to get that piece commissioned, EX head and all, done for $500. I understand the price is higher, but you aren't getting that piece done with that base for $500 on a private commission.
Thor57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 05:57 PM   #127
SolidLiquidFox
Savage Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by COI View Post
Spider-Man may be more complex, but they're also making way more, which may offset the additional costs of making the sculpt.
This sounds like economies of scale but it can't be because we all agreed that they can charge whatever they want. Right?

SolidLiquidFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 06:27 PM   #128
loricstone
Kang

Location: Don't come at me stupid or I'll Sammamish your candy ass!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gyro Zeppeli View Post
Apparently ours and I have to highly disagree about this being a simple sculpt. It is far from that I would reckon. Anytime you are doing small complex folds and oddities on the skin (see neck face, hands, etc.) that requires a lot of skill and time.

If you are referring to a simple pose...then I absolutely 100% agree...but if you are talking about a simple sculpt....I disagree.
loricstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 06:56 PM   #129
JAWS
Cross country skiing is great if you live in a small country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by loricstone View Post
Apparently ours and I have to highly disagree about this being a simple sculpt. It is far from that I would reckon. Anytime you are doing small complex folds and oddities on the skin (see neck face, hands, etc.) that requires a lot of skill and time.

If you are referring to a simple pose...then I absolutely 100% agree...but if you are talking about a simple sculpt....I disagree.
I would say even the pose is complex for what it is.. Its more then just sculpting a standing guy... You have to give a sense of weight and balance as well as a feeling of motion... I know he is just standing but I think it hits all of these in spades...

Look at how half the people pose their hot toys... Non of what I mentioned above... Thus making them look like dolls. But someone who understands how the body works can usually get a good "realistic" pose out of their HT figure..
JAWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 07:26 PM   #130
COI

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidLiquidFox View Post
This sounds like economies of scale but it can't be because we all agreed that they can charge whatever they want. Right?

Economies of scale does affect Sideshow's margins. They may or may not pass some savings onto the consumer; it shouldn't be assumed either way is my point, but of course it's natural and reasonable to lean towards the more skeptical assumption, since we are talking about a large business. Also, manufacturers of luxury goods tend not to pass on these savings.

I gave up on the idea that sculpt complexity could be a predictor of price when Batgirl went up for $400 a year ago
COI is offline   Reply With Quote