Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > General Discussion

Old 03-03-2006, 02:08 PM   #21
Curt Chiarelli
Sculptor
Sculptor

Location: California, the world's largest outdoor free-range insane asylum.
Before we break out the belt and the Good Housekeeping Guide to Corporal Punishment, we need to ask the question: Has anyone seen Frankenthaller's The Bay?

In my opinion, it's another one of those modernist 1.5 million dollar con jobs that clutter up our nation's museum galleries. The rag I use to clean off my dirty brushes in the studio has more aesthetic appeal than this travesty. Furthermore, I think that gum stain might be an improvement. Perhaps the little scamp has a future as an art critic . . . .

Okay, all facetiousness aside, I agree: property damage is property damage; the little punk should come out of this with a bruised ass and the parents billed for the restoration - if for no other reason than to remind them about their responsibilities as parents.
Curt Chiarelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 02:08 PM   #22
Curt Chiarelli
Sculptor
Sculptor

Location: California, the world's largest outdoor free-range insane asylum.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rychehitman
Actually, the partents shoud sue the gum company, as there was no warning on the label to NOT put a wad of gum on a 1.5 million dollar painting!
Curt Chiarelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 02:27 PM   #23
armitage
Kindly Asked To Leave

What do you expect? It's Detroit.
armitage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 02:39 PM   #24
Ceramicus
42.7 percent of all statistics are made up on the spot.

Frankly, I'm not a fan of this kind of art and I know that they want everyone to be able to see the "brush strokes" or some such nonsense on it, but if it's worth soooooo friggen much, they should put some sort of barrier up so that kind of thing doesn't happen.

I mean, gum toting menacing 12 year olds aside, what if you had a bad lunch experience in their cafe and spewed chunks on thier precious painting?
Would they seek you out for restoration costs? Which costs more -- A piece of plexiglass over the painting or hours of restoration?
Ceramicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 02:53 PM   #25
Tattoo-S
Mrs. Wookie~'Venger's Girl~GORE Princess~Silly Sister~Beast Lover

Personally I think the parents should be punished for having a 12 year old that can't keep his gum in his mouth.....and even so, when done with it, can't find a garbage can to put it in. My 3 year old neice knows where garbage goes, for heaven's sake.....He's 12 full of piss and vinager....He did it to see if he could get away with it....wonder if he learned anything.....besides the fact that his parents will likely die a little younger from the stress of worrying about damages to a 1.5 million $$ painting.....
Tattoo-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 03:15 PM   #26
Daredevil
Man Without Fear

Most art museums don't have plexiglass or any barriers for the enjoyment of its visitors, including Picassos, Rembrants, Monets, etc. The point is to enjoy them the way it's supposed to be enjoyed, assuming people can behave themselves.

Some schoolchildren, however, can barely behave in school or at home, or anywhere, it seems.
Daredevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 11:58 AM   #27
Confessor
The Avengers

Quote:
Originally Posted by cblakey1
Somehow, I think you're not kidding.
?

Of course I'm not. I'm usually pretty sharp about jokes, but I don't get this ne, I must admit.
Confessor is offline   Reply With Quote