Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music > Audio/Video Sales & Hot Deals Links

Old 05-10-2012, 04:15 PM   #1571
Marvelito
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellboy View Post
The Incredible Hulk (Single-Disc Release) $9.99 @ Amazon.
Hate when I see great prices on titles I already own. I think to myself, "Damn, if only I had waited a few years, could have saved $8-10!"
Marvelito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 04:19 PM   #1572
Hellboy
Right Hand of Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvelito View Post
Hate when I see great prices on titles I already own. I think to myself, "Damn, if only I had waited a few years, could have saved $8-10!"
me too, but to be honest if its a film I really like (this being one of them) I don't have that kind of patience. I know I've watched my Hulk BD 2-3 times already.
Hellboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 04:43 PM   #1573
Marvelito

Quote:
me too, but to be honest if its a film I really like (this being one of them) I don't have that kind of patience. I know I've watched my Hulk BD 2-3 times already.
Oh, I'm the same way. Although I have my different price levels these days, depending on how badly I want a movie.

New "Must Have" movie- Won't pay over $19.99
New Movie- Won't pay over $17.99
"Must Have" catalog movie- Won't pay over $15.00
Catalog Movie- won't pay over $12.00
Blind Buy- Won't pay over $12.00 (although I rarely do it these days)
Upgrade to Blu-Ray on a title I hadn't thought of upgrading- Won't pay over $9.00

All these price caps I've imposed on myself are the "top", but more often than not I end up paying less in each category. Not to mention, I almost never buy anything on release date anymore, usually wait weeks or even months before getting anything. These safeguards have been put into place to stop me from amassing as large a Blu-Ray collection as my DVD collection.
Old 05-10-2012, 04:53 PM   #1574
Hellboy
Right Hand of Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

Thats so funny Tony. Your limits match mine category to category.

I think it speaks to how long we've both been collecting movies whether its BDs, DVDs or LDs you learn where those sweet spots are and you set your limits accordingly.
Old 05-10-2012, 04:58 PM   #1575
Marvelito

Quote:

I think it speaks to how long we've both been collecting movies whether its BDs, DVDs or LDs you learn where those sweet spots are and you set your limits accordingly.
Been collecting movies for a loooong time! Going back to VHS. I remember paying like $80 or some outrageous amount for Return of the Jedi on tape, back in '85 or so.
Old 05-10-2012, 05:41 PM   #1576
Hellboy
Right Hand of Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvelito View Post
Been collecting movies for a loooong time! Going back to VHS. I remember paying like $80 or some outrageous amount for Return of the Jedi on tape, back in '85 or so.
Man you could scrape $80 together back in '85? Not me, that was a couple years before I got my first job at the age of 15. I mostly videotaped things back then. I didn't start buying legitimate copies of films until 89 and they were LDs. I worked in a video store and got everything I wanted at cost too so it fueled what would become a lifelong addiction.
Old 05-10-2012, 07:29 PM   #1577
Argonus
Kindly Asked To Leave

Quote:

I think it speaks to how long we've both been collecting movies whether its BDs, DVDs, Betamax or Silent Film Reels, you learn where those sweet spots are and you set your limits accordingly.
Fixed.
Argonus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 07:39 PM   #1578
Marvelito

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argonus View Post
Fixed.
Old 05-10-2012, 07:48 PM   #1579
Hellboy
Right Hand of Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

I'll have you know you're not much younger than us Ryan. You should respect your elders.
Old 05-10-2012, 07:56 PM   #1580
Marvelito

Quote:
Man you could scrape $80 together back in '85? Not me, that was a couple years before I got my first job at the age of 15. I mostly videotaped things back then. I didn't start buying legitimate copies of films until 89 and they were LDs. I worked in a video store and got everything I wanted at cost too so it fueled what would become a lifelong addiction.
Typically there was no way I ever had that much cash available, but in this instance if memory serves, I believe my birthday had just passed. So I used birthday money, along with allowance money, and a little begging too I'm sure. And believe me when I tell you I got my money's worth out of that tape. When all was said and done I probably owed Lucas more money for it.

I did my fair share of taping stuff for sure, but the way I began my collection on the cheap was by joining Columbia House. I did the "get X amount of movies for a penny", and you only have to buy a few more at full price, which was $29 I think. I chose Star Wars, Empire, and a few of the Connery Bonds to start. Then I would save to fulfill my "contract" and picked up a few more Bonds. But then they would have sales, which I would score on, and get other titles for "cheap". My VHS collection was strictly blockbusters at the time, and never really grew that big.

Good times! I feel sorry for my kids, they'll never know the fun they missed out on in the pioneer days of home video, they'll just stream everything to their phone or whatever.