Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > ARH Studios

Old 05-30-2014, 08:31 PM   #11
jlaavenger
Blue Falcon

I love Tarzan. Grew up watching Tarzan theater every weekend with my dad. So far I have 3 statues and would love to continue collecting if the size and cost isn't too much. Love the Tarzan yell!
jlaavenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 09:19 AM   #12
saintproduction
Birdman

Let me start by saying I love Tarzan and it's one of my favorite of all time, with that said I don't think I like any of the sculpts!! For one the gorilla is soo huge it looks like Tarzan is fighting King Kong!!! I know that the gorilla should be big but THAT big?? And the other is just Tarzan standing there!!
Please look at the work of Joe Kubert and see how Tarzan should look and how he should be. The Conan statue vs the gorilla was an amazing statue it it should be the same for Tarzan.
saintproduction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 02:10 PM   #13
wolffeone
Doh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DynamicMenace View Post
wow. that's odd. considering Tarzan was raised by Gorillas.
Tarzan was raised by great apes, not gorillas. According to Burroughs there's a difference.
wolffeone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 04:53 PM   #14
TheYoungWolf
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolffeone View Post
Tarzan was raised by great apes, not gorillas. According to Burroughs there's a difference.
"Great ape" is not a name in reference to any one particular species, it's a catagorization of hominidae. This ranges from the largest, gorillas, then to humans, orangutan, chimpanzees and then the smallest, bonobos.
TheYoungWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 05:42 PM   #15
wolffeone
Doh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheYoungWolf View Post
"Great ape" is not a name in reference to any one particular species, it's a catagorization of hominidae. This ranges from the largest, gorillas, then to humans, orangutan, chimpanzees and then the smallest, bonobos.
I realize that. But in the Tarzan books, Burroughs makes a distinct difference in great apes and gorillas, 2 seperate species. He makes it a particular species. Great apes were called"mangani" and gorillas "bolgani"... In one story Tarzan has a ferocious fight with a gorilla who was an enemy of his tribal "great apes"....
Old 06-01-2014, 06:47 PM   #16
TheYoungWolf
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Quote:
I realize that. But in the Tarzan books, Burroughs makes a distinct difference in great apes and gorillas, 2 seperate species. He makes it a particular species. Great apes were called"mangani" and gorillas "bolgani"... In one story Tarzan has a ferocious fight with a gorilla who was an enemy of his tribal "great apes"....
My apologies, I wasn't aware. My exposure to his roots and lore are limited.

In any case, that last bit about Tarzan's fight should be enough context to justify the production of this statue, no? So I'm not sure where some of the negativity is coming from, unless it's the sculpt people are having issues with. In which case, I could understand the desire for them to pursue a different artistic representation.
TheYoungWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 08:33 PM   #17
wolffeone
Doh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheYoungWolf View Post
My apologies, I wasn't aware. My exposure to his roots and lore are limited.

In any case, that last bit about Tarzan's fight should be enough context to justify the production of this statue, no? So I'm not sure where some of the negativity is coming from, unless it's the sculpt people are having issues with. In which case, I could understand the desire for them to pursue a different artistic representation.
No apologies needed. I prefer the gorilla pose, more like the novels Tarzan, then the waterfall one, more like the movies.
Old 06-02-2014, 08:37 PM   #18
Dark Shadow
A closed mouth gathers no foot.

Looks very promissing to me.
Dark Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 09:59 AM   #19
DynamicMenace
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

Quote:
Quote:
i see. i never new that. i only know Tarzan from the old TV shows and films from way back in the day. i never read any books on him. so thats a cool bit of info. thanks.

all the more reason for them to have Tarzan fighting a Gorilla. with what you told me. and the knowledge that you have. i still find it odd that your not liking the Gorilla though. obviously its a personal preference thing? curious to know. why dont you like Gorillas?
DynamicMenace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 11:41 AM   #20
ftrez
Nightwing

I have no personal hatred of gorillas as a species. The point I was trying to make (so poorly) in my post was that if I'm going to buy a Tarzan statue I'd rather have a nice Tarzan figure rather than a very large gorilla where Tarzan, being much smaller, seems almost an afterthought. Basically, I'd rather have a Tarzan statue than a Gorilla stature.
ftrez is offline   Reply With Quote