Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > General Discussion

Old 01-30-2006, 06:37 PM   #1
Logan
Kindly Asked To Leave

Graphic design or go with the flow?

Alright look, right now I'm doing graphic design at my school and I thought it was cool, until this year. Everything is messed up and I'm definitely not motivated anymore. I'm thinking about taking a year off to pursue something else....

I want to make a movie, it's gonna be a very serious and emotional film and I have the complete story in my head. I want to take the year off because I want to finish the script, make storyboards and alot more until I think I'm done. And when I'm done, I need to take the big step to the USA.

My heart really goes out to making this film, even my cousin who's doing law school wants to drop out and help me with this (it's a personal story).
I know Hollywood is earth's hell but I NEED to go, it's too important to let it go.

WHAT IS THE BEST THING TO DO?
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 07:09 PM   #2
JadeGiant
Angry Green Rage Monster Mod. SMASH!
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan
Alright look, right now I'm doing graphic design at my school and I thought it was cool, until this year. Everything is messed up and I'm definitely not motivated anymore. I'm thinking about taking a year off to pursue something else....

I want to make a movie, it's gonna be a very serious and emotional film and I have the complete story in my head. I want to take the year off because I want to finish the script, make storyboards and alot more until I think I'm done. And when I'm done, I need to take the big step to the USA.

My heart really goes out to making this film, even my cousin who's doing law school wants to drop out and help me with this (it's a personal story).
I know Hollywood is earth's hell but I NEED to go, it's too important to let it go.

WHAT IS THE BEST THING TO DO?

follow your gut - and remember, there are Graphic design programs in the US if Hollywood doesn't work out.
JadeGiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 07:16 PM   #3
Wooktroop
I was arrested for selling illegal-sized paper.

id finish up and get your degree first
ive heard once you stop its hard to go back
Wooktroop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 07:24 PM   #4
Ghost
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Here's the thing Logan. It doesn't hurt to have some kind of background. Hell you really don't need the degree if you're good at what you do. I got into 3D Animation. I thought that's what I wanted to do. Technically I still do but it's alot of hassle. I sorta prefer 2D but I enjoy 3D modeling and everything that comes with it. When I got to that point I was very unmotivated. To this day I haven't really worked on any animation, but I still like it.

It's good to dabble in a bit of everything. Which is why I like doing post production, film editing, visual effects, ESPECIALLY concept design, and traditional 2D art. And I too want to make movies. But start out little by little. I do small stuff here and there, short flicks, just for practice, pacing, editing and sound. Don't expect Hollywood to pick anything up right away, but rather pass it on to some of the Indie studios. Those are the best chances and the way I'd go. Also check them into say Sundance, Tribeca, stuff like that.

And hey, I majored in Media Arts and Animation. Yet I go for jobs that say graphic designer. I love using Photoshop, and illustrator. But I have no idea how to work in publishing. Learn publishing design and you get over the self made G designers that go for the same jobs, (even though you can learn that on your own as well, sometimes the smallest advantage is still an advantage.
Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 07:28 PM   #5
Eye of Agamotto
Borrow money from a pessimist, they don't expect it back.

My opinion is finish what you started then begin your quest to make the film.
Eye of Agamotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 07:31 PM   #6
Logan
Kindly Asked To Leave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost
Here's the thing Logan. It doesn't hurt to have some kind of background. Hell you really don't need the degree if you're good at what you do. I got into 3D Animation. I thought that's what I wanted to do. Technically I still do but it's alot of hassle. I sorta prefer 2D but I enjoy 3D modeling and everything that comes with it. When I got to that point I was very unmotivated. To this day I haven't really worked on any animation, but I still like it.
That's just it, at my school they don't even teach us stuff like 3D. I'm getting a new computer tomorrow and want to take a stab at it and see how it turns out.

My biggest problem is, I have so much ambitions I don't know which one to choose. But I definitely want to make a film, not directing it per sé but I want to have alot of control over it because I have my vision and that's how I want it.

I love watching the GNOMON dvd's, which let's you take a look at how pro's work at 3D, concept design etc. I want to do all that stuff too but I don't have the talent, but am planning to do something about it.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 05:39 PM   #7
Miikael
Sey hallo to my lille fren!

Hmm I'm sort of in the same position, although I'm not thinking about following a hollywood career I have thought of quitting my current study (third year in) and just go somewhere abroad do whatever people overthere do. Motivation is something I know only from books, I can't for the love of god get myself to start on anything for my course atm.

Do you have your P Logan? If so you could always take some years off and come back (if the weather in California disappoints and all ) and finish, or start, a course.

As good as your story/concept might be, do you seriously think you have a chance of succeeding or does the thought of change of scenery have a lot to do with it?
Miikael is offline   Reply With Quote