Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > Leave it to the Professionals Please > Erick Sosa

Old 01-26-2009, 02:41 PM   #1
ZKULPTOR
MASTERING 3D!!!!!!
Producer

Mutant Chelonian wax trasfering, and detailing tutorial

Hi Guys,
Here's a preview of a new version of the other turtle mutant I tweaked a while ago.
Very rough, will be transferred to wax this week.
This must be molded by years end...and shipped to Japan, so yes, I will be finishing this one lol. And it will be available in resin
1:6th pretty massive though. Everything will key perfectly, very little clean up, I have no idea about the price, but it will be fair, base will be round by the way.

I will take tons of images and will post a small " wax detailing " tutorial, maybe even a youtube vid.
Thanks, and happy new year to everyone!

ZKULPTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 02:43 PM   #2
ZKULPTOR
MASTERING 3D!!!!!!
Producer

Secondary form ......( this is what comes after I block out the basic shape)

Then I proceed to add a tad more detail...expression lines, prior to adding these lines, (which will bring plenty of character to your ..well character, figure, creature etc) I will google tons of reference images, for example "wrinkled necks" or in this case a bunch of turtle and human skull reference from Flicker... remember most of the masterpieces you see here at the CH, were brought about because of at least two elements knowledge/reference , the artist's ability to capture form ( knowledge/talent), and convey it, but based on reference, a good eye, and even better reference are KEY, cannot stress that enough.
Some people get real good at certain subject matter, so they do not really use reference that much anymore, I have an awful memory, so I have learned not to rely on my own strength ( sometimes your ego will try to interfere, don't mind it) , so I use reference as much as I can.... I hear Alex Ross uses tons of reference, same as Adam Beane who is one of the best at capturing realistic fabric folds, ( just one of his many talents sculpting wise)
Also, using a mirror for expressions always works.... you'll look silly making different types of expressions, but it pays off.

Anyway, remember I am trying to go as far as I can in sculpey, so then I can cast in wax, I am casting in Silpak red carving wax, just for a change, I still love my Zen though lol, but my Silpak red needed a bit of attention as well plus I like the smell of sculpey... I know, I know I said I would never go back to sculpey, but I could not resist.

I am NOT finessing or rounding off the scribe lines yet, once I get to a decent point where I am happy ( and only you determine that on your pieces) then I will smooth with 50% alcohol and 50% sculpey softener and a soft bristle brush... synthetic works for me... trying to make everything as soft ( not sharp) and subtle as possible... some people use mineral spirits, or just plane Vaseline, the result are pretty much the same I think.... just be careful NOT to over do it, in other words just soak your brush with the equivalent of a couple of drops of your polishing liquid...., if you soak the brush in it, then you will end up with a big mess :? and trust me I have messed up some pieces in the past., if you kinda already messed up, try to let the softener dry or use a napkin on the surface that's muddy and the towel/napkin will soak the excess liquid after a couple of hours.

I will continue with this very basic tutorial as I keep working on this guy....here's some pics of a different version...a samurai... I was just bored...let me know what you think haha

Thanks,
-Erick
Old 01-26-2009, 02:44 PM   #3
ZKULPTOR
MASTERING 3D!!!!!!
Producer

Old 01-26-2009, 02:46 PM   #4
ZKULPTOR
MASTERING 3D!!!!!!
Producer

OK guys,
Here's a small update.
Before smoothing as explained before:

And after using my trusty brush:

Here's a couple of videos sorry about my voice, been a bit sick
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tCdrgznA8gw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrpZ25fDqYM
And here's some images of the final result for the legs....and no, we are not done, now we need to wrap up the rest of the sculpt, smooth out, and bake! then we will learn how to do the mold for wax casting, then the real fun begins as we start finessing our piece, and adding lots of detail
Before:
Old 01-26-2009, 02:47 PM   #5
ZKULPTOR
MASTERING 3D!!!!!!
Producer

After:
Old 01-26-2009, 02:48 PM   #6
ZKULPTOR
MASTERING 3D!!!!!!
Producer

BTW this piece is now being "enhanced" even further, I am not saying much yet but all I will say is,thanks to Norm Meyers for basically helping me enhance this piece, thanks to his help and advice ( Paul Komoda too) I think this piece will look decently cool.
Also , special thanks to Simon Lee for his encouragement !
Here's a sneak peek at the base...still a bunch to do.
Old 01-26-2009, 02:51 PM   #7
ZKULPTOR
MASTERING 3D!!!!!!
Producer

Old 01-26-2009, 02:52 PM   #8
ZKULPTOR
MASTERING 3D!!!!!!
Producer

Old 01-26-2009, 02:53 PM   #9
ZKULPTOR
MASTERING 3D!!!!!!
Producer

Old 01-26-2009, 02:56 PM   #10
greenzombie
Sculptor
Sculptor

Thanks for posting these imagery, Erick! That´s really awesome!! I will be watching this thread as you post new stuff.

Oh also, I didn´t know samurais were expertise on wielding wire loops to kill peoples and monsters! COOL!! o_O

j/k
greenzombie is offline   Reply With Quote