Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comics

Old 11-13-2015, 10:19 AM   #1
protector2814
Phoenix

The New Vison Comic by Tom King (spoilers)

Anyone else read Tom King & Gabriel Walta's new Vison comic out a few weeks back? I really enjoyed it & found it quite interesting and different. King seems to have jettisoned a lot of the Vison's known comic book past, I saw no mention of Wanda, twins, etc ..., but I may have missed something.

He's syntasized a family in this comic & has moved to DC' suburbs which hardly seems ususal for a comic set up, but it really works & creats a book-wide unease that I found quite refreshing. The Vison now works as an Avenger's liason in DC as an almost pencil pushing, boring govt. employee. Walta's art is perfect with an almost retro but detailed feel that compliments the nuclear, 1950's family vibe that the Vision's striving for in his new place. Pretty wild stuff and a book, post new Civil War, that really stands out as a winner.
protector2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 01:57 PM   #2
Pyrotwilight
U talkin' to me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by protector2814 View Post

Anyone else read Tom King & Gabriel Walta's new Vison comic out a few weeks back? I really enjoyed it & found it quite interesting and different. King seems to have jettisoned a lot of the Vison's known comic book past, I saw no mention of Wanda, twins, etc ..., but I may have missed something.

He's syntasized a family in this comic & has moved to DC' suburbs which hardly seems ususal for a comic set up, but it really works & creats a book-wide unease that I found quite refreshing. The Vison now works as an Avenger's liason in DC as an almost pencil pushing, boring govt. employee. Walta's art is perfect with an almost retro but detailed feel that compliments the nuclear, 1950's family vibe that the Vision's striving for in his new place. Pretty wild stuff and a book, post new Civil War, that really stands out as a winner.
Wanda's current connection to Vision is made somewhat more obvious earlier.

If I understood it right in Avengers #0 Vision put some program into his mind to help him think more like a human does specifically allowing him to forget things and feelings like a person does as his systems were basically crashing and constantly starting to remember everything he's ever seen or done.

I'm sure Wanda will pllay a more active role in the book sooner or later. But it's trying to launch Vision as his own self first, albeit in an unusual new way.
Pyrotwilight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 02:33 AM   #3
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Really enjoyed the first issue and looking forward to picking up the second.
wktf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 09:22 AM   #4
protector2814
Phoenix

I just finished the 2nd & it's excellent. Feels like real comic book' Science Fiction. It has this tone I've never encountered in a comic. This real feeling of dread underneath everything. Tom King is an excellent writer. For me, this is the sleeper book out there right now. I love being slapped by a comic every now & then.
Old 12-24-2015, 02:03 PM   #5
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Agree completely. One of the best new books to come out in a long time!
wktf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 09:31 AM   #6
protector2814
Phoenix

So I pick up the 1st issue of this new Vision comic on a whim, desperate for something, anything to get behind & follow after/during Civil War & I'm surprised by just how great it is. Well, I've just finished the 3rd ish & I can honestly say I don't think I've ever read a comic like this. Tom King's writing on this title is just bizarrely enjoyable. The closest thing I can compare it to is a well written horror comic. Sure, the Vision stars but the comic is going completely into uncharted Vision territory. So far, Doctor Strange (which I still say borrows too heavily from the Ennis' run on Hellblazer) & The Vision are the two books that have made it out of the fire of Marvel's re-org. Jump on if you haven't.

Old 01-07-2016, 09:49 AM   #7
Babytoxie
Ghost

This title got my attention when it was announced - glad to hear it's worthwhile.

Quote:
Originally Posted by protector2814 View Post
... So far, Doctor Strange (which I still say borrows too heavily from the Ennis' run on Hellblazer)]
Ugh, they're still doing this? I first noticed it in Thor: Vikings, so I guess it's ultimately Ennis' fault, but still, that's not the way Strange should be written.
Babytoxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 09:54 AM   #8
joefixit2
Baron Zemo

Well, I have never read Hellblazer but I have been enjoying Doctor Strange. It seems like a straight forward Dr. Strange comic to me.
joefixit2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 11:20 AM   #9
protector2814
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babytoxie View Post
This title got my attention when it was announced - glad to hear it's worthwhile.

Ugh, they're still doing this? I first noticed it in Thor: Vikings, so I guess it's ultimately Ennis' fault, but still, that's not the way Strange should be written.
Well, you can't blame the creator; a writer can borrow from himself. Ennis' take on Dr. Strange in Vikings, I found to be fresh. He played him fey, which I'd never seen before, but still potent & as a Sorcerer Supreme.

What I'm talking about in the new Dr. Strange, & don't get me wrong, I'm really enjoying it, are the little things like hidden, magical drinking holes, & surly magical barkeeps, and ongoing narratives explaining to the reader that there are evil, deadly magical creatures lurking all around us, only we can't see them. What the costs of using magic really are...etc... I loved this when Ennis did it 30 years ago. Aaron obviously read Hellblazer back in the day. It's actually a good thing in this book. Nothing wrong w/ more layers.

Don't want to get too sidetracked. Both Strange & Vision are very, very good. I'm enjoying both immensely.

* Joe, find an old trade of Ennis' Hellblazer. It was soo good. Comics that actually frightened me while reading them sometimes.
Old 02-04-2016, 11:10 AM   #10
protector2814
Phoenix

I keep waiting for the "shoe to drop" on this title, learning from experience that if a book starts out great out the gate that its only a matter of 4-5-6 issues that things get wacky, or an artist or writer bails, or the momentum gets lost or turns into over-kill. But .... so far so great w/ the new Vision. Issue #4 is as great as the previous 3. I'll compare writer Tom King with Steven King in terms of tension, suburban nostalgia, & coming-dread. Seriously, so far, this is a comic that stands out in my mind as one of the best comic things I've ever read. A horror-movie, starring the Vision & his created family is what I'd compare it to. My absolute favorite Marvel book at the moment.