Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > Bowen Designs

Old 02-07-2022, 01:21 AM   #1
Thor-El
Frackin!

Detolf stress - how long they are safe?

So I've got my collection of Bowen busts on a Detolf. I have 7 on the top shelf, 6 on the next, 7 on the third and 10 on the bottom one. I also have 4 very light hollow plastic statues on top. As of late I have started to get a bit worried because I have these Detolf for about 3 years and have seen multiple videos of them exploding. I would like to gather opinions of people with Bowen busts on Detolf. I'm thinking taking the busts back into their boxes until I can buy something more sturdy but that might not be until many months. I'm almost paranoid about this stuff. Love how they display right now but dreading every day to loose my collection after hearing so many horror stories.

Thor-El is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2022, 02:05 AM   #2
CessnaDriver
Suicide Squad

I have 11, many for years and years.
No failures. I load those effers up, and plenty of stuff on top too.
CessnaDriver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2022, 02:12 AM   #3
CessnaDriver
Suicide Squad

I'll add this... inspect the edges of the shelf glass. Make sure there are no nicks and nothing has damaged the smooth polished edges. Replace it if you find something that doesn't look right.
CessnaDriver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2022, 04:10 AM   #4
ukshaun
Hercules

I like Detolf units. I once owned 7 of them. I now own 1
The reason i decided to get shot of them was i found my sleep was affected thinking about my 1/4 statues in them. Time and time again, people post images of Detolf's randomly exploding. Atleast that's what it looks like. It appears to have nothing to do with the weight of items on display. I get the impression the glass is designed to stress to a point and shatter at will depending on random factors. Heat Cold? ..or something else?

I am well aware that the two side glass panels bend by design. The door weighs a bit. The design of the unit is questionable. While i have never had a unit explode, i decided never to display my 1/4 pieces in them. Hot Toys, plastic products stand a much higher chance of surviving a Detolf shattering.

I wonder why Ikea do not use laminated glass?
ukshaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2022, 08:59 AM   #5
mmk123
3 kinds of people: those who can count & those who can't.

on a side note great Bowen mini bust collection. Looks fantastic
mmk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2022, 09:39 AM   #6
jeremydmc
Black Panther

I have had 6 Detolfs for 10+ years. They have been moved several times including to another state once. I have never put anything bigger than a 1:6 in them but I load them up and have never had an issue.
jeremydmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2022, 10:09 AM   #7
JadeGiant
Angry Green Rage Monster Mod. SMASH!
Super Moderator

I had 6 for more than 15 years and they were loaded with a lot more than you have and never an issue. There are pics out there with someone putting weight lifting weights on them for extended periods and nothing happening. The "explosions" seem to be exaggerated and I have yet to see one where the units were assembled correctly that had any issues. Everyone has to make their own decision but I just can't see any issues with the very low amount of weight you have here. That's my .02

CAF
JadeGiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2022, 10:36 AM   #8
majestic1
Green Lantern Corps
Adamantium Member

Yeah don't worry too much, the shelf failing is a very rare occurance.

Great collection by the way but you should consider using acrylic risers for busts in detolfs as they elevate those hidden in the back.

majestic1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2022, 10:50 AM   #9
Thor-El
Frackin!

Thank you for your feedback. I feel less stressed now as most of the feedback is encouraging. About the risers, I agree, I need to get some to improve the visibility of the figures on the back.

I still worry a bit because the rear right metal rod is a bit curved. I don't know if anyone has experience that. I don't remember if it was like that from the start or if it has become like this after three years.
Thor-El is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2022, 11:07 AM   #10
jeremydmc
Black Panther

If the metal rod in the back is curved it may be over tightened on that corner.
jeremydmc is offline   Reply With Quote