Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 06-28-2017, 08:23 PM   #31
johnclone
The Enchantress

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbarian View Post
This movie didn't speak to me like it did most folks - at least the folks that loved it. I hated it, but was treated to a despicably depressing ending chock full of unbelievable timing. It was actually a good laugh after I got over being pissed off that I wasted the time watching the rest of the movie.
I liked the whole thing, mainly because I liked all of the "crazy giant bugs killing people" scenes. As for the ending, it was like for about 5 min.
johnclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 09:26 PM   #32
Barbarian
Jedi Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnclone View Post
I liked the whole thing, mainly because I liked all of the "crazy giant bugs killing people" scenes. As for the ending, it was like for about 5 min.
I dig that. I just felt that it was a bit contrived and forced, like many movies are. How many "good" King movies are there? 2 or 3 maybe? They mostly suck in one way or another. The shining light of his film works was undoubtedly The Shining. At least, that's my view. But, I am a huge fan of Kubrick. King didn't admire his take on the story, but I certainly did. Best King movie ever. His stories have been properly translated a time or two, but most have sucked ass.
Barbarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 12:33 AM   #33
johnclone
The Enchantress

Ha! Are you forgetting the tour de force of cinematic wizardry that is Maximum Overdrive? LOL - AC DC + trucks driving themselves = Well, at least it isn't the Happening.
Old 06-29-2017, 02:02 PM   #34
Barbarian
Jedi Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnclone View Post
Ha! Are you forgetting the tour de force of cinematic wizardry that is Maximum Overdrive? LOL - AC DC + trucks driving themselves = Well, at least it isn't the Happening.
Yes. At least it isn't The Happening. I actually enjoyed Maximum Overdrive as a kid. I somehow doubt it has held its charm over the years. I could be wrong, but probably not.
Barbarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 05:42 PM   #35
MrYac
Hercules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbarian View Post
I somehow doubt it has held it's charm over the years. I could be wrong, but probably not.
I dunno man, seeing a man getting killed by a Soda Machine never loses it's magic!
MrYac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 11:20 AM   #36
Demona
Martian Manhunter

King's books are hard to translate into movies, but I have to disagree that there are only "2 or 3 good ones", Barb. I kept my list to four, but have some others I like/love. There are also some sold mini-series out there based on his work (not counting that sh!tstorm Under The Dome).

But seriously, you want to talk about great cheese that holds up -- Running Man. Classic in so many way.

Here are my picks (and I have read all of these books too).

Best Movies:

Shawshank Redemption (THIS is the best King movie of all time)
The Shining
Carrie
Misery

Best MiniSeries
Salem's Lot (original run)
The Stand
IT - I STILL can't comfortably walk by a sewer drain.

Books that were HORRENDOUS as movies:
Dreamcatcher
Thinner
Hearts of Atlantis
Delores Claiborne
Cell
Demona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 11:28 AM   #37
johnclone
The Enchantress

Most recent episode (episode 4) was sort of boring. If I am remembering right there were 2 deaths, but one was handled very poorly I think. There was an opportunity for some really interesting creature effects, instead we just get a body thrown through a window and we could barely see anything of it and the actual death was offscreen, as was whatever threw the body.

And I didn't like the idea of swarms of bees or flies getting together to form a humanoid. That's just lame imo.

And as Negan would say, several characters on this show are "creepy as sh-t!" For example, the old lady walking around with a jar of bugs is so creepy!!! And sometimes she crawls around on the floor looking for bugs! And if you kill her spider it doesn't mean anything because it lays dozens of eggs so now you have lots of mini baby spiders! One of the most terrifying characters ever in a mini series, the old lady with bugs lol!
Old 07-22-2017, 01:05 PM   #38
johnclone
The Enchantress

There's really only one thing I'm watching this show for, and it is giant bugs and scenes with giant bugs in them. The most recent episode went so far into "character development" which I could care less about. One scene was a horrible death scene, but it felt very forced though, as if they suddenly shoved some horror in an otherwise boring episode. Overall this episode was dull and makes me wonder if I want to continue watching.
Old 07-30-2017, 11:24 PM   #39
johnclone
The Enchantress

I think I'm done with this show.

SPOILERS ahead in case anyone is thinking of watching this.... but believe me, there's nothing really to spoil.

Let me get right to it, the mist is...........
Spoiler
a sentient being or beings. The mist itself! Yup, essentially the creepy fog is alive.
I am definitely not buying it.

Oh, but I did realize that I need to get the Mist (the movie) on Blu ray or DVD, whichever is available and watch it again.
Old 08-06-2017, 02:18 PM   #40
johnclone
The Enchantress

Recently learned that there are only 3 more episodes left to this series. I don't think this is planned for a renewal so this is it. So since there are only 3 left, I figure I've already seen 4, may as well stick with it and see how this all ends.

I can pretty much guess already that this will be like the ending of the Fog, where having gotten what it wanted, all of a sudden the mist will just back right up and go back to where it came from. The end. That's what will happen if they are playing it very safe and not wanting to take any risks.

But I'm hoping that there's more to the ending, and it is always possible that they'll do an ending similar to how the film ended, but I don't want to see them just copy that ending.

So thinking a little outside of the box, it might be very interesting if the humans figured out a way to fight and defeat the mist, or what if it starts raining and simple ordinary rain is what kills the mist? Or the army shows up with some advanced ray gun and fries the mist, or somehow uses a device to open a portal and trap the mist in another dimension. Or what if another mist shows up and "kills" the first one, then leaves. I think that last one would be so out of nowhere that it would be a perfect ending to this.

I'm disappointed that this is not a "monster" driven story, because that was what was so great about the film. People were mostly just there to give the monsters things to do. As far as this series goes, many characters are not interesting. But there are a few characters in this series that I'm actually interested in seeing what happens to them.