Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 01-22-2016, 11:01 AM   #1
protector2814
Phoenix

DC's Legends Of Tomorrow on CW

Anyone else catch last night's premier? Feels like a CW super-hero show but not quite like Flash or Arrow. You can tell that the producers are trying to "up" their game, but I'm not quite sure if that's a good thing. IMO, Flash & Arrow, as much as I enjoy them, are getting a little too cast heavy & Legends starts out fat right out the gate. Vandal Savage Savage appears to be the perfect villain, although I'd swear the actor playing him is speaking English phonetically only. I'm in, 'cause I love the CW's DC universe, but I hope the show finds its feet.

(I'm sure there's already a thread for this show, but I couldn't find it & I did an advanced search)
protector2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 11:28 AM   #2
whd
Suicide Squad

I'm eager to see the next episode!
whd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 03:25 PM   #3
DarkKni9hT
100,000 sperm and you were the fastest?

I caught part of the first episode and all I could think was "How long until the producers of Dr. Who levy a huge lawsuit against this show?" I haven't seen such a blatant ripoff of a character since Rob Leifeld's work on ....well, anything.
DarkKni9hT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 05:45 PM   #4
protector2814
Phoenix

I don't watch Dr. Who but I do have a few Silver Age comics of Rip Hunter, Time Master. He debuted in 1959, 4 years before Dr. Who.

protector2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 09:28 PM   #5
DarkKni9hT

Well I seem to stand corrected. I was unaware of Rip Hunter's origin. Something learned today. Who knew?

Be that as it may, the portrayal of Hunter is certainly plagiarist. Unless the original Rip Hunter comics portrayed him as overly English, completely self centered, arrogant, pushy, and socially inept, he might as well have been ripped (pardon the pun) directly from the set of Dr. Who. I seriously wondered if there was some sort of crossover going on.
Old 01-25-2016, 03:59 PM   #6
Pyrotwilight
U talkin' to me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkKni9hT View Post
Well I seem to stand corrected. I was unaware of Rip Hunter's origin. Something learned today. Who knew?

Be that as it may, the portrayal of Hunter is certainly plagiarist. Unless the original Rip Hunter comics portrayed him as overly English, completely self centered, arrogant, pushy, and socially inept, he might as well have been ripped (pardon the pun) directly from the set of Dr. Who. I seriously wondered if there was some sort of crossover going on.
I've yet to see the episode (internet down all weekend)

Hmm. Well. I only really know of his appearances from the 90's and on but none of those sound wrong for Rip who has often been viewed as arrogant or even impulsive and controlling.

The English part may be unavoidable given the actor chosen but the rest sound like things the comics Rip Hunter can be accused of at times. Not sure admittedly about socially inept but even that varies with the Doctor.

Now if they're purposelly laying it on extra thick for the sake of a shout out to Dr. Who I couldn't say, but that I would believe.
Pyrotwilight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 09:44 PM   #7
DarkKni9hT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrotwilight View Post
I've yet to see the episode (internet down all weekend)

Hmm. Well. I only really know of his appearances from the 90's and on but none of those sound wrong for Rip who has often been viewed as arrogant or even impulsive and controlling.

The English part may be unavoidable given the actor chosen but the rest sound like things the comics Rip Hunter can be accused of at times. Not sure admittedly about socially inept but even that varies with the Doctor.

Now if they're purposelly laying it on extra thick for the sake of a shout out to Dr. Who I couldn't say, but that I would believe.
I'll be interested to hear your thoughts after seeing the episode.
Old 01-28-2016, 12:15 AM   #8
Pyrotwilight
U talkin' to me?

Yeah I can see the Who influence. Though I'm not sure if I'd say Rip is like the Doctor.

In fact this very much sounds like they have Rip as he acted during The Kingdom in the 90's with how he recruits the heroes.

Betraying the Linear Men, here the Time Masters, to save the future of reality.

Though the Time Masters themselves certainly play on the Gallifreyan Council.
Pyrotwilight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 03:27 AM   #9
built2shred
Phoenix

I've watched the first two episodes.... It's ok... Writings a bit weak and I can't stand Hawk Girl.... Feels to much like Arrow which I'm not a big fan of anymore (loved the first two seasons but it's gone down hill since).... I'm still enjoying The Flash a lot and Gotham also....
built2shred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 09:41 AM   #10
PureInvasion
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by built2shred View Post
I've watched the first two episodes.... It's ok... Writings a bit weak and I can't stand Hawk Girl.... Feels to much like Arrow which I'm not a big fan of anymore (loved the first two seasons but it's gone down hill since).... I'm still enjoying The Flash a lot and Gotham also....
Haven't watched this one yet, but can mimic your feelings on Arrow. First 2 seasons were great, then steadily downhill after that (to the point I don't even watch it anymore)
PureInvasion is offline   Reply With Quote