Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comics

Old 06-30-2019, 01:58 AM   #11
wrlord
Fantastic Four

Quote:
Originally Posted by wktf View Post
Actually, I take this back. I used to love John Byrne’s art but now I find it boring, kind of like a one trick pony. I just reread his run on Superman, Namor and Incredible Hulk and it just doesn’t hold up. I have his complete FF Omnibus collection but I’m reticent to revisit it.

I will admit I’m negatively biased against him for his general negative attitude but most especially for when I read his criticism of Gene Colan’s work when this Silver Age pioneering artist was sick, just before he died.
Hard to separate the man from the art - especially when he's a writer, too. I couldn't get enough of his FF in the 80s. Hated what he did to Superman.
I lurk at his board (I was banned after my first post for speaking my mind...) - I don't mind his being an asshole, but rather his being a lying hypocrite. It bugs me when I find I agree with him (which happens a fair amount). Still, he does share some interesting insights from time to time.
The toadying sycophants that make up his membership, though.... ick.
wrlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 02:12 AM   #12
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrlord View Post
Hard to separate the man from the art - especially when he's a writer, too. I couldn't get enough of his FF in the 80s. Hated what he did to Superman.
I lurk at his board (I was banned after my first post for speaking my mind...) - I don't mind his being an asshole, but rather his being a lying hypocrite. It bugs me when I find I agree with him (which happens a fair amount). Still, he does share some interesting insights from time to time.
The toadying sycophants that make up his membership, though.... ick.
I had an English professor who said it’s important to separate the artist from his or her art. This was in the context of Ezra Pound, an American poet who also was an anti-semite. I disagree. I refuse to separate the artist from his art. I threw out all my Bill Cosby CDs, and I can’t separate Byrne’s arrogant mean spiritedness from his art. He’s an ass of the highest order and won’t be getting any revenue from me.
wktf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 12:08 PM   #13
ParisDean
Captain Marvel

Quote:
In fairness, the fact he’s on it has caused me not to purchase it. So, don’t know.
It's not available for purchase. It's posted online for everyone to see for free. See the last post in this thread: http://www.statueforum.com/showthread.php?t=164688
ParisDean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 03:08 PM   #14
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParisDean View Post
It's not available for purchase. It's posted online for everyone to see for free. See the last post in this thread: http://www.statueforum.com/showthread.php?t=164688
Hmmmm, won’t open on my phone. Safari says it won’t open due to too many redirects. Will have to see if I have better luck o my desktop computer.
wktf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 04:02 PM   #15
ParisDean
Captain Marvel

Quote:
Hmmmm, won’t open on my phone. Safari says it won’t open due to too many redirects. Will have to see if I have better luck o my desktop computer.
I tried opening the link on my phone and got the same error message. There was a back and forth with Marvel about them possibly publishing this new X-Men story, but Byrne ultimately decided to just post the penciled and lettered pages online instead himself.
ParisDean is offline   Reply With Quote