Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Sports

Old 11-05-2017, 12:40 PM   #11
MONSTER
Modzilla
Super Moderator

If we are talking pound for pound best, my money is on Demetrious Johnson.

If GSP didn't walk away 4 years ago, who knows but I'm really curious to see what he does going forward. He's swimming with a bunch of sharks at 185.
Old 11-05-2017, 01:29 PM   #12
supermetroid
Teen Titans

Yeah Demetrious is incredibly talented but it's unfortunate the division is kind of overlooked and not really a big draw in popularity either. Kind of like boxing, the smaller weight classes have some of the most technically skilled fighters but they really don't get much recognition. Guys like Lomachenko and Rigo are finally getting some spotlight after moving up in weight even though they have insane amateur records and are among the most skilled boxers.

And p4p it's hard to put someone like DJ's resume over the likes of the other greats like GSP, Fedor and Silva.

As for 185, Idk I'm not as much into MMA as I used to be but as a casual fan I'd say it's probably one of the weakest divisions. Maybe right behind 125 and hw?
supermetroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 04:19 AM   #13
warhead
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by supermetroid View Post
GSP looks sharp but looks like the extra muscle is hurting his stamina.
Agreed! His conditioning suffered carrying the extra mass, his boxing was by far his biggest improvement, he added and improved his style, he incorporated elements of wonderboy and Conor....but to be honest I think GSP came up because Bisping was champ and he saw his best chance at beating a 185 champ...he had no balls when Anderson was king.
warhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 04:11 PM   #14
MrJones
The Stones, I love the Stones. I watch them whenever I can. Fred, Barney...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MONSTER View Post
You missed one hell of a PPV. All 3 title fights were amazing. One of the best UFC shows ever.
Always the way. There was a period of several years I did not miss one fight but I haven't caught one now for several months. I have no more friends to watch it with and it's too expensive to order for just me and the wife to watch.

Quote:

If GSP didn't walk away 4 years ago, who knows but I'm really curious to see what he does going forward. He's swimming with a bunch of sharks at 185.
I would agree with DJ... however I would put GSP's prior run against any other run in history. He may be swimming with sharks at 185 but the Welterweight division was equally as fierce if not more savage when GSP was champ. Literally every fight was his hardest fight ever. He did not have opponents thrown to him who block with their face *cough* Anderson silva *cough*
MrJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 10:39 PM   #15
Josh-a-tron
"Revenge is a Dish Best Served Cold"
Sculptor

Quote:

He is but you can tell coming back after 4 years at a higher weight hurt his stamina and his wrestling. I'd say if he stays for a fight or two he'll improve both and that's dangerous for anyone who fights him since it looks like the added muscle weight improved his punching power.

If he moves back down to Welterweight though think he'll get even faster but he may lose some of that punching power, which won't be good since some of the troubles he had towards the end of his last run was power.
Josh-a-tron is offline   Reply With Quote