Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 12-16-2016, 06:24 PM   #21
Hanky Panky
Captain Marvel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvelito View Post
It's an amazing time to be a SW fan. I've waited years, even decades between SW films, and now in the span of a year I've gotten two brand new SW films. Incredible!

Can't wait to see what the future brings to SW.
It is pretty amazing to see TWO SW films in the short period of time.

And with each one, I think the quality has only improved with Rogue being quite superb overall, and in my opinion, more ADULT oriented rather than cater to young kids.

I think that's what I appreciate most about Rogue...is the edgier themes. No little ewoks, jar jars, cute little droids.

Vader actually came off as being fairly threatening and scary towards the end.
Hanky Panky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 06:56 PM   #22
thx217
Ultimates

Awesome film. Loved it. Whoever thinks the CG is so so/bad or whatever needs to get a life. Tell that to the artists at the ILM. The CG is amazing as always if not the best.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/beh...ar-race-956885
thx217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 08:38 PM   #23
built2shred
Phoenix

Just got back from seeing it, It was pretty awesome from beginning to end. The first part of the movie was of course a slower pace as they were introducing the characters but even then they still got some action scenes in... As for people complaining that it was to slow at the beginning I'm guessing some people have ADHD and unless it's non-stop action from beginning to end they get bored.

I loved that this movie had a more serious tone to it and they skipped on the cheesiness of some of the other Star Wars movies.. The CGI on Tarkin was really well done but I think part of that was because he was mostly in dark scenes where Leia was in a bright room which showed the CGI more but even then it was still pretty decent... The ground and air battles were the best in the franchise...

For me Rogue One ranks up there with Empire Strikes Back.... I'd give it 9/10

The ending with Vader was pretty bad ass, slashing through those Republic Soldiers and using the force to slam them around... I really hope Disney uses this Director and Writer again for other off shoot Star Wars movies.
built2shred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 09:01 PM   #24
Commander0Zero
Statue Forum MacDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by thx217 View Post
Awesome film. Loved it. Whoever thinks the CG is so so/bad or whatever needs to get a get life. Tell that to the artists at the ILM. The CG is amazing as always if not the best.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/beh...ar-race-956885
I thought the CGI was great! It didn't even understand the complaint. I understood it with Tron (and I love that movie) way more than this. Tarkin and Leia looked awesome!
Commander0Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 09:10 PM   #25
CessnaDriver
Suicide Squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse Custer View Post
........ In my opinion, Rogue One is by far the best Star Wars movie since the original trilogy.

SO Agreed!

Honestly for me this is the first time I've felt "home" again in Star Wars since 1983.
CessnaDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 10:41 PM   #26
testsubject25
Birds of Prey

Loved this flick.

IMO, better than all prequels, Jedi, and edged out Awakens. Empire is still my number one and I now see Rogue One and A New Hope as one long Lord of the Rings length movie.

Yeah, I have some nit picks, but outstanding job.
testsubject25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 01:57 AM   #27
Luminous
Cyclops

A more spoilerish post of my review from the Rate Movie thread:

Rogue One: A Star Wars Story - 7.5/10

Let me start off by saying this film looked and sounded phenomenal. The creators did a great job of using iconic ships and designs in new and exciting ways. Seeing a Star Destroyer hover over a city was something I thought I'd only see in comics, video games or cartoons. Not only that but the number of Tie Fighters and X-Wings on screen during the last battle was awe inspiring. Visually the film felt right at home with the style of the original trilogy with the added benefit of a gargantuan budget and modern technology. I am sure all Star Wars fans had goosebumbs during the climactic space battle in the third act. Another thing the film got right was the story itself. They did a great job of connecting this movie to the original films and made sure what transpired here made sense (loved the idea of the Death Star's weakness being a carefully planned trap). What I was impressed with about the story was that it managed to keep me emotionally invested despite me knowing how the movie would essentially end. We all know the Rebels are successful in stealing the schematics to the Death Star, but now the audience finds themselves concerned with the fate of Jyn Erso, her father and her unlikely group of rebels who have essentially rebelled against the rebellion.

Given all of that praise I still found myself questioning a lot of the film's direction. First I felt there were a few too many winks and nods to the original films. I see some people enjoyed these moments, but to me they felt unnecessary and out of place. This is a prequel to the first Star Wars film yet there are multiple times where the creators felt they needed to remind you that you were watching a Star Wars movie. Not only does that not make sense from a chronological perspective but is the setting and all of it's iconic imagery not already enough to remind you of where and when we are? All those moments did was take me out of the experience. Instead of being immersed in the narrative throughout the film there are multiple times where the movie essentially pauses to remind me "Hey look, remember Evazan and Ponda Baba? They were in the original Star Wars films! Did you know that?!". Seriously though, wtf were those two doing on another desert like planet in another Mos Eisley lookalike city? Not only that, but wouldn't they have been atomized along with Jedha? I mean clearly that isn't the case given their presence in Episode IV. So it begs the questions; why include them in this film at all? No reason. Just a "fun" call back. I'm fine with the easter eggs though. Those were actually fun and were at least subtle. But the obvious and loud call backs hurt the film IMO because they added nothing to the story or any sort of running theme and were simply disruptive.

Another problem was the film's pacing. It took this movie a long time to gather steam. It wasn't just that it was a slow burn, but some of the editing early on was a little jarring. First we're on this planet, 2 minutes later we're on another that's called this, but before you get too comfortable 10 seconds later we're somewhere else that has another name, and then again and again. That said this aspect of the movie did improve in the second half of the film.

The biggest problem for me though was the film's tone. While I appreciate the severity of the situation the characters find themselves in, I do feel the overall dark tone of the movie made it feel less like a Star Wars film. I know some might point out that this wasn't technically a saga film (not included as an episode etc. etc.) and the darker tone was intentional, but this is still a Star Wars film. While these movies vary in quality quite drastically, the core theme still lies in adventure. Rogue One felt more like a war movie than it did an adventure film. I mean every single character died. A Star Wars film and every single person you came to know is dead by the end. I knew 80 to 90% weren't going to make it when I went into this movie given the fact we know not one of them is someone we recognize from other films. But come on, not one happy ending for ANYONE? Killing everyone off honestly just felt like the studio saying "don't want the audience thinking we'll see anyone here again, easier to just kill them all".

Again, I realize the dark warlike tone was more than likely the goal but I think it was perhaps the wrong call given the movie's direct link to A New Hope and the saga overall. I can see a shift in tone for other standalone Star Wars films, but not for ones that directly link to the main saga. I see people criticize the "kiddie" parts of past Star Wars films, but I guarantee that the majority of us first watched these films as "kiddies". I'm a little disappointed to see a Star Wars film that is a little less accessible to a younger audience. My kids have seen the OT and TFA, but it's going to be a little while before I think they're interested in seeing the entire main cast bite the dust in such somber fashion.

I know I have my complaints but I really did enjoy a lot of what the movie had to offer. Unfortunately there were a few too many questionable calls that disrupted my experience.

Quick question. Was it explained why Leia was present in that battle to begin with? I don't recall an explanation as to why she happened to be there and found that scene to be too convenient. Epic scene with Vader seeing the Tantive IV fly off with the plans, but seems like a tiny plot hole.
Luminous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 05:05 AM   #28
built2shred
Phoenix

On the Rebel Base Mon Monthma asked Organa if he had someone he trusted with getting the plans, he grinned and said I trust her with my life.... or something close to that... I believe he was implying his adopted daughter Leia....

As for your review, What I enjoyed as a 10 year old I don't enjoy now as a grown adult, that's why I didn't like the prequels.... I was happy they finally gave us an adult version of Star Wars... Not every movie has to have a happy ending... This movie was about sacrifice in order to keep the Rebellion alive....

I always hated the cheesy parts Lucas put in the movies, from the Award Ceremony at the end of Star Wars to the stupid Ewoks on Endor... And then topping it off with Jar Jar Binks.... JJ Abrams continued it with the Death Star Planet... So it was refreshing to get something different, something along the lines of "The Dirty Dozen" style movie....
built2shred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 06:04 AM   #29
Parallax
Nightwing

CGI Tarkin looked awful in my opinion. Leia looked way better. The beginning of the movie is decent. The end is absolutely fantastic. I'll see it again and again just for that. I LOVED seeing Darth Vader in the role of ultimate power. He was so unstoppable, which was amazing. Revenge of the Sith was the only time we got to see Darth Vader in great action, and that was still looking like regular Anakin.
Parallax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 09:45 AM   #30
candyrocket786
Suicide Squad

Enjoyed it, but yeah its a Death Star and another Shield Generator we have to take out.

The Vader scene was the best.
candyrocket786 is offline   Reply With Quote