Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Exodiuz's Vids & Video Games

Old 11-20-2015, 01:34 PM   #21
Demona
Martian Manhunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankierock View Post
Gotta say...Loved this game!!!...just beat it tonight, amazing story kept me in the game at all times...can't wait for the next one already...this will up there for game of the year. This game alone is worth the price of the Xbox one.

Ok now onto Fallout 4..........
I was just about to say -- I haven't touched TR since I'm running around building, looting and butchering.

I might have to put F4 down and knock out TR. Orrrr just keeping rebuilding Sanctuary.

Decisions decisions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xforce View Post
Two biggest games for me this year tomb raider and fallout
Ditto. And I don't have anything else on the horizon either.
Demona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 01:40 PM   #22
OrangeCrush
Kindly Asked To Leave

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheYoungWolf View Post
Exactly. SE took Microsoft's bait, and that's all there is to it.

Hell, I even recall reading reports that certain members of the development team at Crystal weren't even aware of the exclusivity until after their work had begun.

It blows my mind that there are actually people out there, within the gaming community, commending both sides for this arrangement. A deal that in no way benefits anyone other than the two parties involved.
Clearly you just don't understand the console market very well at all. First off, exclusives have been a part of the console market since consoles were first produced. Its simply part of the business. 2nd, if it werent for exclusives, there would be no reason to have multiple hardware platforms. Its exclusives that make different hardware/companies so key to the console market. And as anyone who knows anything about business knows, competition breeds innovation and keeps pricing down.

In other words, If there were no such thing as exclusives and we only had a single console gaming platform, which would most deifnitely be the case if it werent for exclusives, then gaming in general wouldn't be anywhere close to where it is today and pricing would be FAR higher than the prices we have today. In fact, pricing really hasn't changed in roughly 30 years of gaming. Its pretty much the only market on the planet that seems immune to inflation. The Sierra adventure games that were released way back in the day (Kings Quest, Space Quest, Leisure Suit Larry, etc.), those gamers all had a $59.99 MSRP, which when you factor in inflation, equals like $120 by today's standards. The fact that people are still paying $49.99-$59.99 for games, is nothing short of a miracle and the main reason it has stayed that way is competition in the marketplace.

Hell, most people laughed when MS announed they would be producing a game console, yet low and behold XBox has absolutely dominated in regards to innovation of the console gaming market. If MS never produced Xbox, the PS4 would likely be a much more powerful PS2. Just to give a few examples of the innovations MS has brought to the console market:

1 - Online gaming
2 - Digital distribution through an online store
3 - Digital only titles (Xbox Live Arcade)
4 - TV & Movies through a game console
5 - Applications (Netflix, Hulu, etc.)
6 - Achievements and gamer score
7 - Matchmaking
8 - Cross game chat
9 - High definition graphics
10 - Trials games/demo's
11 - Indie games on consoles
12 - Skype
13 - Voice control
14 - User recognition/automatic change of profile.
15 - HDMI pass-through
16 - Hepatic feedback w/controller

and there are many others as well. Hell, achivements/trophies alone have completely changed the way people play games. Same can be said for online gaming.

Sony has basically sat back and let MS do all the heavy lifting in regards to innovation as innovation requires a lot of R&D, which costs a lot of money. MS has a TON of money and Sony has been struggling financially for a long time now. So again, Sony has basically sat back, let MS do all the innovating and the innovations that catch on and become popular, Sony just adopts them at a later date. It makes perfect sense given the financial difference between the 2 companies, but my point is that most of those innovations would never have come to pass if it werent for the competition aspect of this market and MS producing the Xbox console. The bottom line is that exclusive titles are one of the most important aspects of this market. Its really as simple as that. Without exclusives, the entire market dynamics change, and NOT in a good way. Again, competition breeds innovation and keeps pricing down. Those are some of the more basic principals in business in general and they are absolutely proven to be 100% accurate.

What you usually see with fanboys is that its all good and dandy when something goes thier way, but when it goes the other way, they scream bloody murder and talk about how unethical a particular business practice really is. For example, its all good that Sony paid for exclusivity with Street Fighter V and No Mans Sky, but MS is evil because they paid for exclusivity for Tomb Raider. And I could give MANY more examples for both Sony and MS in regards to paying for excluisvity, both in regards to entire games and DLC. The fanboy mentaility is basically hypocricy at its finest. Then again, fanboyism is like a disease. It literally destroys all rational thought and common sense. Just go on IGN's boards for 20 minutes, any time a new exclusive game gets released for a new system if you want to see just how ridiculous the average fanboy mentality really is.

Quote:
Hell, I even recall reading reports that certain members of the development team at Crystal weren't even aware of the exclusivity until after their work had begun.
So what. Its not those people's jobs to make business decisons like that. Crystal Dynamics has a whole slew of employees including artists, writers, programmers, etc. Its the heads of the company that make business decisons like exclusivity and the heads of Crystal Dynamics do not have to get permission from lower level employees to make business decisons like that. In fact, talking about such a thing with lower level employee's before it was finalized is not a smart mangement policy at all. Thier still making the same game and its still eventually coming out on all platforms so why would any of them care anyways? They got a big fat check from MS for that exclusivity deal so in the long run, Crystal Dynamics could wind up making a lot more money becasue of this deal. Why an employee would be upset about that makes absolutely zero sense. Thier primary concern is making a quality game and keeping the company profitable and healthy.

The deal with MS was ultimtaely a very smart move for Crystal Dynamics to make. If you honestly think there will be a lot of people boycotting this game becasue of this deal....well, I for one don't buy it. You might hear people saying they are going to boycott it, but once its available for thier system, those people will be one of the first in line to buy it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demona View Post
Ditto. And I don't have anything else on the horizon either.
I wish I could say the same as my backlog is f'ing insane. Xbox One had 5 AAA games that scored 9.0 or higher (at least according to IGN) released in just a 2 week period alone. You had Halo 5, Divinity: Original Sin, Black Ops III, Rise of the Tomb Raider and Fallout 4. Not to mention we just had Forza 6 released not to long ago.

Unfortunately, I still have some highly sought after games that are coming out very soon. Just Cause 3, Fable Legends, Rainbow Six Siege, Elite Dangerous, Ori and the Blind Forest Definitive edition, etc. Not to mention DLC for Bloodborne, Witcher 3, etc.

Just way too many games to play.
OrangeCrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 04:29 PM   #23
TheYoungWolf
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCrush View Post
Clearly you just don't understand the console market very well at all. First off, exclusives have been a part of the console market since consoles were first produced. Its simply part of the business. 2nd, if it werent for exclusives, there would be no reason to have multiple hardware platforms. Its exclusives that make different hardware/companies so key to the console market. And as anyone who knows anything about business knows, competition breeds innovation and keeps pricing down.

In other words, If there were no such thing as exclusives and we only had a single console gaming platform, which would most deifnitely be the case if it werent for exclusives, then gaming in general wouldn't be anywhere close to where it is today and pricing would be FAR higher than the prices we have today. In fact, pricing really hasn't changed in roughly 30 years of gaming. Its pretty much the only market on the planet that seems immune to inflation. The Sierra adventure games that were released way back in the day (Kings Quest, Space Quest, Leisure Suit Larry, etc.), those gamers all had a $59.99 MSRP, which when you factor in inflation, equals like $120 by today's standards. The fact that people are still paying $49.99-$59.99 for games, is nothing short of a miracle and the main reason it has stayed that way is competition in the marketplace.

Hell, most people laughed when MS announed they would be producing a game console, yet low and behold XBox has absolutely dominated in regards to innovation of the console gaming market. If MS never produced Xbox, the PS4 would likely be a much more powerful PS2. Just to give a few examples of the innovations MS has brought to the console market:

1 - Online gaming
2 - Digital distribution through an online store
3 - Digital only titles (Xbox Live Arcade)
4 - TV & Movies through a game console
5 - Applications (Netflix, Hulu, etc.)
6 - Achievements and gamer score
7 - Matchmaking
8 - Cross game chat
9 - High definition graphics
10 - Trials games/demo's
11 - Indie games on consoles
12 - Skype
13 - Voice control
14 - User recognition/automatic change of profile.
15 - HDMI pass-through
16 - Hepatic feedback w/controller

and there are many others as well. Hell, achivements/trophies alone have completely changed the way people play games. Same can be said for online gaming.

Sony has basically sat back and let MS do all the heavy lifting in regards to innovation as innovation requires a lot of R&D, which costs a lot of money. MS has a TON of money and Sony has been struggling financially for a long time now. So again, Sony has basically sat back, let MS do all the innovating and the innovations that catch on and become popular, Sony just adopts them at a later date. It makes perfect sense given the financial difference between the 2 companies, but my point is that most of those innovations would never have come to pass if it werent for the competition aspect of this market and MS producing the Xbox console. The bottom line is that exclusive titles are one of the most important aspects of this market. Its really as simple as that. Without exclusives, the entire market dynamics change, and NOT in a good way. Again, competition breeds innovation and keeps pricing down. Those are some of the more basic principals in business in general and they are absolutely proven to be 100% accurate.

What you usually see with fanboys is that its all good and dandy when something goes thier way, but when it goes the other way, they scream bloody murder and talk about how unethical a particular business practice really is. For example, its all good that Sony paid for exclusivity with Street Fighter V and No Mans Sky, but MS is evil because they paid for exclusivity for Tomb Raider. And I could give MANY more examples for both Sony and MS in regards to paying for excluisvity, both in regards to entire games and DLC. The fanboy mentaility is basically hypocricy at its finest. Then again, fanboyism is like a disease. It literally destroys all rational thought and common sense. Just go on IGN's boards for 20 minutes, any time a new exclusive game gets released for a new system if you want to see just how ridiculous the average fanboy mentality really is.

So what. Its not those people's jobs to make business decisons like that. Crystal Dynamics has a whole slew of employees including artists, writers, programmers, etc. Its the heads of the company that make business decisons like exclusivity and the heads of Crystal Dynamics do not have to get permission from lower level employees to make business decisons like that. In fact, talking about such a thing with lower level employee's before it was finalized is not a smart mangement policy at all. Thier still making the same game and its still eventually coming out on all platforms so why would any of them care anyways? They got a big fat check from MS for that exclusivity deal so in the long run, Crystal Dynamics could wind up making a lot more money becasue of this deal. Why an employee would be upset about that makes absolutely zero sense. Thier primary concern is making a quality game and keeping the company profitable and healthy.

The deal with MS was ultimtaely a very smart move for Crystal Dynamics to make. If you honestly think there will be a lot of people boycotting this game becasue of this deal....well, I for one don't buy it. You might hear people saying they are going to boycott it, but once its available for thier system, those people will be one of the first in line to buy it.

I wish I could say the same as my backlog is f'ing insane. Xbox One had 5 AAA games that scored 9.0 or higher (at least according to IGN) released in just a 2 week period alone. You had Halo 5, Divinity: Original Sin, Black Ops III, Rise of the Tomb Raider and Fallout 4. Not to mention we just had Forza 6 released not to long ago.

Unfortunately, I still have some highly sought after games that are coming out very soon. Just Cause 3, Fable Legends, Rainbow Six Siege, Elite Dangerous, Ori and the Blind Forest Definitive edition, etc. Not to mention DLC for Bloodborne, Witcher 3, etc.

Just way too many games to play.
Contrary to your snotty remark, I do in fact have a pretty decent understanding of how the market works and I've said it before, and will say it again. I also value what exclusives have done and continue to do for gaming as a whole. This is not a first party exclusive responsible for innovation and perpetuating sales (go ahead, take a look at those first day numbers). This is not even a third-party exclusive that would have gone under without Microsoft's help. This is about Square and by extension, CD, making money on a game upfront by temporarily selling the rights to a franchise that traditionally releases on all available platforms. It's not the first time it's happened, and it's certainly not the last time it will happen. Business is just that. Business.

I don't subscribe exclusively to any one console on principle alone. I buy what I like and I support what I feel benefits and appeals to me as a gamer and as a consumer. Am I going to actively boycott the game? No, nor do I think others should. I'm actually quite happy to hear that reception to the game itself has generally been positive, as I ultimately aim to play it when it comes out on my console of choice. That doesn't mean I'm going to cry tears of joy for Xbox owners in the mean time. That also doesn't mean that I have to verbally support the practice of withholding content from two-thirds of an established audience.

Really, don't bother replying. As far as I'm concerned, this particular conversation is over.
TheYoungWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 06:25 PM   #24
vinnnie
Luke Cage

Oh boy

Just buy both consoles guys, I did because both will always have (great) exclusives. Fanboyism is immature behavior suited for twelve yearolds. Instead of buying another $300 statue, just buy the other console you dont have and you wont be dealing with this 'exclusive' crap everytime.
vinnnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 07:16 PM   #25
Luminous
Cyclops

The walls of text are beginning to cause migraines.
Luminous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 08:53 PM   #26
Y3E
Gen 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnnie View Post
Oh boy

Just buy both consoles guys, I did because both will always have (great) exclusives. Fanboyism is immature behavior suited for twelve yearolds. Instead of buying another $300 statue, just buy the other console you dont have and you wont be dealing with this 'exclusive' crap everytime.
Y3E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 10:41 AM   #27
Y3E
Gen 13

Does anyone have problem accessing the marketplace from the main menu of the game? When I try to access it it loads for about 30 seconds and then say there is no internet connection but there is as I can still access the xbox live and internet.

Thanks.
Old 02-23-2016, 11:39 AM   #28
PermaGrin
I was trying to daydream, but my mind kept wandering.

Kotaku post on Xbox Live being down.

http://kotaku.com/xbox-live-is-down-1760693276
PermaGrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 02:08 PM   #29
Demona
Martian Manhunter

Xbox Live was being a b!tch when we were playing the Division beta too. #annoying
Demona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 02:13 PM   #30
Y3E
Gen 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by PermaGrin View Post
Kotaku post on Xbox Live being down.

http://kotaku.com/xbox-live-is-down-1760693276
Thanks but everything was up by this morning, I could freely buy add-ons and what not and downloaded some too, but still get problems with in-game marketplace with this. I have a couple of gifts for me to open too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demona View Post
Xbox Live was being a b!tch when we were playing the Division beta too. #annoying
What is it with Xbox Live these days? I am having more problems with it than PSN.